BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine temps for the coolant are on the cool side lately ( about 72C - 75C ), and the oil temp guage is sometimes barely past the middle dot (about 170F degrees) while on the freeway on a cold evening.

Shouldn't the oil control valve keep the oil temps around 190F-200F, independent of the thermostat for the engine coolant?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Unless it is above 40 F my cars oil rarely goes over the 1/4 dot, seems like others on here stay about there as well. I would DEFIANTLY change your T-stat ASAP, it will help for sure, and you will gain more power and gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
Unless it is above 40 F my cars oil rarely goes over the 1/4 dot, seems like others on here stay about there as well. I would DEFIANTLY change your T-stat ASAP, it will help for sure, and you will gain more power and gas mileage.
+1
May explain OP's opinion about octane in another post, as his car has been rich for some time likely. If you change your T-stat I believe you will feel the difference in higher octane gas. Your car is probably stuck in warm up mode until the coolant gets to ~80c

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.