BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the www.getbmwparts.com website, there is a link for cooling parts >> and then engine oil cooler parts.
Is the "control valve" for the engine oil cooler function like a thermostat for the oil temperature?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes, I would have to look into it more to see what the temp is that it diverts oil to the cooler, but that is what it does. Having issues with your car?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine temps for the coolant are on the cool side lately ( about 72C - 75C ), and the oil temp guage is sometimes barely past the middle dot (about 170F degrees) while on the freeway on a cold evening.

Shouldn't the oil control valve keep the oil temps around 190F-200F, independent of the thermostat for the engine coolant?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Unless it is above 40 F my cars oil rarely goes over the 1/4 dot, seems like others on here stay about there as well. I would DEFIANTLY change your T-stat ASAP, it will help for sure, and you will gain more power and gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
Unless it is above 40 F my cars oil rarely goes over the 1/4 dot, seems like others on here stay about there as well. I would DEFIANTLY change your T-stat ASAP, it will help for sure, and you will gain more power and gas mileage.
+1
May explain OP's opinion about octane in another post, as his car has been rich for some time likely. If you change your T-stat I believe you will feel the difference in higher octane gas. Your car is probably stuck in warm up mode until the coolant gets to ~80c

1 - 6 of 6 Posts