BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My V10 ///M6 drank maybe 1 qt per 800 mi. Had heard nothing re oil consumption on the V8 ///M6. Added oil, then she screamed for more oil in less than 1000 mi.

High oil consumption is no big deal to keep a racing engine in good shape for daily use but I was wondering if others find the same thing.

How often must you add oil?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My V10 ///M6 drank maybe 1 qt per 800 mi. Had heard nothing re oil consumption on the V8 ///M6. Added oil, then she screamed for more oil in less than 1000 mi.

High oil consumption is no big deal to keep a racing engine in good shape for daily use but I was wondering if others find the same thing.

I had the E60 M5, F10 M5 and now the M6 GC/CP.
You only add oil when the add oil light comes on.
Mind you It comes on if you really push your car.
And even though i pushed both M5's pretty hard, the E60 needed a lot more
Oil than the F10 did.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Oil consumption is massively dependent on how the engine is run for the first 50-100 miles or so. It needs to be revved to the running in limit but not under too much load, you should also use plenty of engine braking to help bed the piston rings.

My M6 Gran Coupe has used 0.25L (about 1/2 Pint) in the last 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts

My F13 has asked for a litre of oil twice in the first 8,000kms. Bout the same as my E46 M3.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts