BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm fairly new to the M5 world but have owned my car and drove it for about 3,000 miles so far. I have researched oil consumption and yet again, there are so many different opinions about the matter. When i picked up my car the check service messages was on and on the way home i finally learned how to check the display messages and it said oil level low. I asked the previous owner and he said you didn't have to change the oil until every 15,000 miles which didn't make sense to me since the car was basically asking for it. I did a oil change/filter right away. It's been about 1,400 miles since my recent oil change and it went from .9 to .4 already. Not going to lie but i have driven it as a daily driver and almost 50% of the time i'm in M mode (i dont know if it matters) and have got on it a lot. Is it normal to consume this much? I honestly don't care, i just want to make sure that it's normal to eat up oil like that. The reason i posted this is because of all of the different answers i've seen.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Become familiar and follow the instructions in your owner's manual to the letter. Don't add until the iDrive asks for it. Overfilling is just as bad as not enough. You have a full litre to play with, readings from 0.1 to 1.0 are fine. As for drastically dropping readings, you really need to determine how much oil your particular engine uses through experience. Sounds like your baseline after an oil change is 0.9. You are watching the reading drop 0.5 litre in 1,400 miles to 0.4. I believe this is within oil consumption limits for this engine--in other words, normal. Continue watching the level to determine if the consumption rate is steady, hopefully so, and keep oil handy for when the car asks for it.

Also, don't confuse the low oil message with the oil service message. Low oil level does not mean an oil change is due. The previous owner is correct that the oil change interval begins from 15,000 miles and counts down, but not necessarily at the rate of actual miles driven. How you drive the car determines how fast the oil service interval counts down. Something else you'll need to learn about your actual driving conditions.

·
Registered
689 Posts
1/2 liter in 1400 miles is not unusual at all. Do not add any oil until it reads 0.1 or 0.0, at which point you add 1 liter. BMW calls for 15k oil changes, but you should cut that interval in half if you want the car to last.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I go through one litre (roughly a quart) every 1100 miles or so. The dealer tells me this is normal. I wait until it tells me the oil level is at minimum (.1 to .2 litres) and then add 600ml or so.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I go through 1 litre in 1,200mi - 1,500mi, wait until a warning pops up (at 0.2), then check the level after each drive, add when it hits 0.1 or 0.0 add a litre, simple.

Over the the last 77K+ miles I have had a few times (3-4) where I get the very low engine oil level warning (the one that says pull over and add oil now or risk engine damage), the first time it happened I didn't think it should've been that low (-0.4 as I recall), had a spare litre in the trunk pulled off at the next exit, added it, did the static oil level check, now 1.3, guess I should've done the static test first ... every time after that when it happened I ran the static test and it always showed a nominal value (0.2 or higher).

Cheers,
Brutus

Reactions: jimsm6

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the help. You guys have seriously made it easier for me. I was really worried that i might have a leak or something but i have been driving my car hard and it makes sense that the oil went down that much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so just drove the M5 again. The oil level now reads .2, it was at .4 yesterday. Do you guys think i might have a leak? I just did a muffler and secondary cat removal a few days back but i have never heard of exhaust work changing oil consumption. I'm just anal about my car, do you guys think cats and mufflers would make a difference? Car has 3 year extended warranty as well from ASC.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have noticed that my oil consumption will appear static for 5-600 miles and then suddenly drop quickly over the next 4-500 miles.

I would say if you are consuming a litre every 500 miles it is something that needs to be looked at. I noticed my race mufflers did seem to increase my oil consumption, but I never bothered to measure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have noticed that my oil consumption will appear static for 5-600 miles and then suddenly drop quickly over the next 4-500 miles.

I would say if you are consuming a litre every 500 miles it is something that needs to be looked at. I noticed my race mufflers did seem to increase my oil consumption, but I never bothered to measure.
It's been about 1500 miles and has consumed about .8 liters. I just meant that these past few days i've seen it drop down so fast.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It's been about 1500 miles and has consumed about .8 liters. I just meant that these past few days i've seen it drop down so fast.

There is a difference between a fast reading and a reading over 30 minutes or so of constant driving. This is in the manual. Is your commute short? I don't think your consumption is out of line. You will find that what others have said is true, in that once it starts to drop, it goes quickly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Allright, i think im starting to get the point. The reason i posted about this is because i just got an oil service done. The reason i was so confused is because i paid about $280 for an oil service. From that, i figured that they added a couple of liters of oil to my car. I was just confused because i thought every .1 consumption that comes up on the idrive meant 1 liter. I really don't know what to think anymore from people comparing quarts and liters on the forum. So are you guys saying that oil services are done roughly every 7,000 miles, but in between those intervals, liters of oil need to be added?? This is the first car ever, that i had to do that with. Whats the capacity of oil that an E60 M5 uses? And why does the idrive want oil every 1,000 miles? Could you guys please explain this. Sorry, i'm a noob to the M world and i just want everything to be ok. haha.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
No problem. 1 liter is slightly less than a quart (.94) so we all kind of interchange the terms as being equal. The car holds 9 quarts (liters) total. There is a 1 liter (quart) amount that shows in the i drive. When it shows .1 or .2, that is 1/10th of a liter or quart. When the idrive shows 0.0 and you add 1 quart, it will come up to 1.0. In between that, you will be seeing 10ths of a quart or liter, not a tremendous amount. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Oh, and yes, you will need to add oil between oil changes. The manual says every 15k but most change sooner than that. Some do 3k, some do 5 or 7k, some follow manual and do the 15. I only put about 2k per year on my car so i change my oil annually.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem. 1 liter is slightly less than a quart (.94) so we all kind of interchange the terms as being equal. The car holds 9 quarts (liters) total. There is a 1 liter (quart) amount that shows in the i drive. When it shows .1 or .2, that is 1/10th of a liter or quart. When the idrive shows 0.0 and you add 1 quart, it will come up to 1.0. In between that, you will be seeing 10ths of a quart or liter, not a tremendous amount. Hope this helps.

Thanks, appreciate the info. That's why i was confused, if the cars hold multiple liters then why does the idrive ask for you to fill it up every time it consumes that liter displayed on the Idrive?

·
Registered
759 Posts
...if the cars hold multiple liters then why does the idrive ask for you to fill it up every time it consumes that liter displayed on the Idrive?
Perhaps you've never owned a car that burns/consumes oil between oil changes? Maybe this is the disconnect. Let's say you had a real dipstick, and you checked it regularly. When the oil level on the dipstick reached the bottom of the marked (usually hash marked between MIN and MAX) section, what would be the recommended action? I still think you are confusing "oil change" with "top off".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perhaps you've never owned a car that burns/consumes oil between oil changes? Maybe this is the disconnect. Let's say you had a real dipstick, and you checked it regularly. When the oil level on the dipstick reached the bottom of the marked (usually hash marked between MIN and MAX) section, what would be the recommended action? I still think you are confusing "oil change" with "top off".
No, i get it now. Haha. Like i said before, im dumb and didn't know the difference between a quart and a liter. I just added a quart this morning. Another question though, does it reset itself? It's still displaying .1

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh, to reset the oil level in iDrive you either have to press down on the stalk button to trigger a re-read of the oil level, or preferably drive for about 20 minutes after which the oil amount will correct.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts