BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

What is your Beast oil consumption per 1000km ?

• Over 1Ltr

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • cca 1 Ltr

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • 0.5 - 1 Ltr

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • cca 0.5 Ltr

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • 0 - 0.5 Ltr

Votes: 36 27.3%
  • Zero

Votes: 36 27.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
2001 model, uses no oil between services.

Just completed 1200 mile round trip in Europe. pretty hard driving and fully laden - level has not moved on the dipstick.
In my experience, it often depends on how the car has been driven in the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
739 Posts
11/99 build date, 30,000 on the clock and it still burns 1 quart every 1,200 miles - and I followed proper break-in procedure for the first 1,000 miles. One reason may be that most of my driving is around town and in the upper rev band.

·
Banned
300 Posts
I've tried Mobil 1, Redline and Royal Purple on a BMW......RP reduces oil burning dramatically....

I burn less than 1/4 quart per 1000-1500 miles on RP 20W50 with aggressive driving....I will be switching to RP Racing 51 shortly....

·
Registered
651 Posts
iMac said:
Please fill in your consumption.

:cheers:
1 Liter (1.05Qt) Castrol TWS 10W-60 consumed per 800 to 1000 miles, depending on the type of driving. The car has used oil this way since Day 1. After an oil change the oil level on the dipstick is at the top mark and the low oil warning message does not come on until I have driven 1600-2000 miles, The oil level on the dipstick is about 1/8 inch or less from the bottom mark at that time, adding 1 Liter brings the dipstick level to about half way. My experience is the dealer adds (and charges for) 8 Liters when they do an oil change, there by slightly over filling the crankcase and oil resevoir.

·
Registered
590 Posts
marcvip said:
I've tried Mobil 1, Redline and Royal Purple on a BMW......RP reduces oil burning dramatically....

I burn less than 1/4 quart per 1000-1500 miles on RP 20W50 with aggressive driving....I will be switching to RP Racing 51 shortly....
Marc what's the built date of your car?

Joe

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
10/99 production with 88k kilometers on it.

Burns around 1L every 2 tanks of fuel, but can go as high as 1L pr every full tank of 99oct with hard driving.

I use my beast wery much for short drives, and that can pick up the oil consumtion.

One more thing, its been around 7k km since my last oil change, does oil consumption pick up with age of the oil or is it just the milage. Adding around 10L of oil since my last change the oil on the motor cant be that old.:confused:

·
Banned
300 Posts
husdon said:
Marc what's the built date of your car?

Joe
9/99 production, 49k miles<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
193 Posts
marcvip said:

Next oil change I'm switching to RP. The aggravation of going to the stealer and paying extortionate prices for oil (can't someone sue them for monopolistic tying practices?) is going to shorten MY life.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Jaeger said:
Next oil change I'm switching to RP. The aggravation of going to the stealer and paying extortionate prices for oil (can't someone sue them for monopolistic tying practices?) is going to shorten MY life.
Does RP have that magical/practically non-existant API service rating that's required for our cars? Sorry, I don't recall what combi of letters it was... ?????? but I know Moble 1 didn't have it.

·
Banned
300 Posts
elevens said:
Does RP have that magical/practically non-existant API service rating that's required for our cars? Sorry, I don't recall what combi of letters it was... ?????? but I know Moble 1 didn't have it.
RP 20W50 is API certified, RP Racing 51 is not

·
10,455 Posts
6/00 production 00 MY, 63k miles currently. I use 10/60.

No oil use with fresh oil, up to about 3k miles of street use, then it seems to burn off about 1L between 3-4.5k miles (i usually change it around 4-4500 miles). It will use maybe half a liter on a track day, about 120-150 track miles.
Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
12/01 Production '02 Model

I have been using 5/30w per the dealer changing the sticker in the hood about a year ago. Dealer produced a letter from the factory indicating the switch on my year model. I burn about 1 qt per 3500 miles.

'02 Carbon Black/Black Lux Interiior M Audio,Folding Seats. Harness Bar, 5 Point Belt System, MKIV NAV and Sirius on the way.

·
Registered
754 Posts
03/03 Build date
Properly broken in
Changed 5-30w oil at 1,200 miles @ my expense
Driving style: high speed runs on long jaunts. Shift points at 5,500 max.
Very little in town driving.
Since the 1,200 mile change I have added 1.25 qts in 7,300 miles.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I am a little surprised at the fraction of people that chose zero. I think some people put zero because they change oil frequently enough to mask the burning of oil.

My first one burnt about 1 quart every 3000 miles (11/00). My second (01/02 build) burns quite a bit less. Both were babied during the break in period.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CEC said:
I am a little surprised at the fraction of people that chose zero. I think some people put zero because they change oil frequently enough to mask the burning of oil.
:biggrin: :1: :hihi: :haha:

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts