BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 99(T) M5 which fits all my need but I'm worried about the oil consumption issue. I understand BMW reckon 0.76L/1000km (?) and that is what this one is burning (apparently 1L/1000Mls) but is this the norm?

I appreciate it depends on the driving conditions etc. but comments from experienced owners would be appreciated.

Rgds

Frostycherrsagai

(NB that's oil, not Guiness!!)

·
Registered
400 Posts
From what I have read, oil consumption on this board is all over the board, LOL

I average about a liter every 1800 miles or so. I'm using the 10-60 variety.

Have a compression check performed on the engine. It's a good starting point to see if the car is even worth considering.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine's a 2003 M5 with 16,500 miles. It uses about 1 liter every 4000 miles average. I have gone as long as 6000 miles without adding and as little as 3000 miles before having to add a liter.
Best of luck,

Rayman

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My 4/00-build car at 50K miles burns...well, something, not much, no more than a liter per oil change (~4000mi.)

It typically gets 10W-60 though BMWNA says 5W-30 is okay in post 3/00 cars.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
If your worried about oil consunsumption you may not want to buy the car, it's the least of your worrys...Kinda like 13mpg. Early M5's had vanos problems, among other things and as it gets on with no warrenty things will be expensive to replace, remember it's a 20,000 doller engine, parts are not cheap on an 80,000 doller car no matter what you pay at a given point.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 99 V plate that has done 63k miles or so. Just had to top up with 3/4 of a litre of TWS 10/60 after i put 2500 miles on in three weeks. i wont make the mistake of buying the one litre filler from the dealer next time but will just buy the 4 litre can-should work out cheaper. Small price to pay!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts