BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my 1200 mile service, i have added 4 quarts of oil. So with my current mileage, I am averaging 650 miles per quart. I probably drive a bit more aggresive than the average driver but this is just crazy. Is this typical of a high reving V10 or is my car just real thirsty for 10w60?

Cheers

·
Registered
352 Posts
Had my 1200mi service at 1800mi, added my first liter at 4050mi (waitied for 0.0), 50/50 Hwy/City driving 90/10 Easy/Aggressive driving.

Brutus

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Right now, with 3150 miles, I am burning .1L per 150 miles. Up until 2000 miles, I was buring .1L per 100 miles.

·
Registered
902 Posts
At almost 6k miles, I've added three quarts since the 1,200 mile service. The oil level stays constant except when 1) Long duration high speed cruising and 2) long duration high rpm driving. I have noticed that it does not consume as much as it did early on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had my 1200 mile service done at 1300 miles. Got car back from dealer with 0.7L. Stayed at 0.7L for the next 800 miles. Then in the last 3 days dropped from 0.7 to 0.2L. Same pattern of consumption occurred before my 1200 mile service where it was constant the whole time and in one short span of time dropped a large amount.

Is everyone paying for quarts of oil through their parts department or getting it free through your service advisors?

·
Registered
902 Posts
ec8r1 said:
Had my 1200 mile service done at 1300 miles. Got car back from dealer with 0.7L. Stayed at 0.7L for the next 800 miles. Then in the last 3 days dropped from 0.7 to 0.2L. Same pattern of consumption occurred before my 1200 mile service where it was constant the whole time and in one short span of time dropped a large amount.

Is everyone paying for quarts of oil through their parts department or getting it free through your service advisors?
I had a couple left from my E46 M3 and was given a couple through the Service Department for free. It's going to vary dealer to dealer.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
That's wierd. Mine has essentially stopped using oil.

Last month I drove 1925 kms. to Fla, drove around for a week and then drove back 1925 kms. and my oil went from 1.0 to 0.8. Was still at 0.8 a couple weeks later when I changed the oil.

I wonder if I have a wonky sensor?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm almost hesitant to reply here, for fear of changing things for me. For the first 1300 miles I went through between .1-.2 L, and since the 1200 mile service, for the past 350 miles, it's been pegged at 1.0 L and hasn't budged. I drive pretty aggressively, and didn't have the vanos issue.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have 1140 miles (1200 mile service day after tomorrow). So far I have used just under one full litre of oil. When I took delivery it read .7L. When it dropped to .1L, I added about half a litre of oil. Did the quick check and it came up to .8L. Drove around until it read .2 L. Added the rest of the bottle and it came up to .9L.

It uses oil in a strange way. After filling, it would read steady for a couple of hundred miles, then start to drop rapidly. It's almost like the sensing system is not linear.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm using about 1 liter per 900 miles with about 4800 miles on the car. I drive a mix of hwy & stop/go with frequent visits to redline. BTW, breakin was pretty much according to the book. Had similar consumption on my E39 until about 20K miles, then dropped to about 1L / 2-3000 miiles.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My consumption during the 1st 1200 miles was about .8 - .9L.

Since then my consumption has improved to about .1 L for every 200 miles with a mix of city/hwy and plenty of rev up to redline.

After the 1200 mile service I waited until it went to 0.0 L which occurred at 3200 miles. Then I added 1.0 L started the car, it registered 0.0 got back on the interstate in 10 miles it registered 1.1 then in 400 miles 0.9. I am happy with this consumption.

I think there is a direct correlation to how well the rings seated during the break-in. I think getting on an interstate and varying the rpm's during the 1st 1200 miles is very important.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I'm running a pretty steady 1L per 2,000 miles, with over 8,000 miles on the car. Oil useage is very dependant on driving style.

If I have a session of really hard driving, say half an hour, I'll see a .1-.2L drop at the next measurement. If I'm doing hwy driving, or easy around town driving, I'll stay at the same level for weeks.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I have 8500 miles and have only put in a liter once (besides the 1200 mile service). While I drive (very) fast, I tend to use WOT rather sparingly as doing so with the M5 creates considerable attention, which is something I would rather avoid. My guess is that WOT at peak RPM uses oil exponentially faster than more mildly aggressive driving.

Tom

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Yes, if your hard driving includes lots of WOT and max rpm (mine does), then you're putting the maximum pressure on the rings at the highest piston speeds. That is definitely the fastest way to burn oil. Can't think of a more fun way to do it though.:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is the oil supposed to be free? Is it considered free under the maintenance warranty?

If so, I won't be paying for anymore extra quarts of oil

Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The maintenance plan only pays for oil (including filters and labor) at regularly scheduled services and not in between.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
lost a quart up to 1200 miles.. dilligently breaking it in... i am at 3000 miles now, no oil used so far...

alex
few cars

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
jamie22 said:
That's wierd. Mine has essentially stopped using oil.

Last month I drove 1925 kms. to Fla, drove around for a week and then drove back 1925 kms. and my oil went from 1.0 to 0.8. Was still at 0.8 a couple weeks later when I changed the oil.

I wonder if I have a wonky sensor?
I bet your sensor is fine. I am 3,000 miles, and in the 1,800 miles since the 1,200 mile service, the oil level has dropped only from 1.2 to 1.0.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What is the oil capacity of the engine and when you say it's burning it, do you actually see smoke from the exhaust? I will probably put 1000 miles on my car in my week in Europe so it seems I'll need to pay attention to this while on vacation, based upon the above posts. FWIW, I have the same issue with my Porsche when I drive it hard but do not get any blue smoke from the exhaust as with a typical oil burner.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts