BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I know this topic has been bled to death. However recently my car 2006 42K has been consuming oil excessively. Prior to about 2000 miles ago it was running perfect.

From my last oil fill which I left at 0.8L, it dropped to 0.3L all of a sudden after 700-800 miles. That's a big drop. Second time it has done that.

last 2000 miles have basically consumed over a litre which I think is too much. Yes I drive spiritedly.

regards

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The oil sensor on these cars is not very precise. It takes a while for it to arrive at a correct reading. So generally, it reads a high level initially and then after driving like 20 to 30 miles it shows the correct reading, which is lower than what it read initially. At least, this is what it does on my car. Never bothered about it.

My car does not consume oil during spirited driving. I have done track days, drift events, auto x, etc. and it never consumed any oil. However, it does consume about a liter every 1000 kms when I am driving on the highway at constant speed for long intervals of time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys for your reply. I was ever so more likely to get a response on m5 board as oppose to m6 board which I think has become a bit blasé
Hassan i was so anticipating a response from you.
Thanks

Reactions: Hasan Shaikh

·
Registered
827 Posts
My car does not consume oil during spirited driving. I have done track days, drift events, auto x, etc. and it never consumed any oil. However, it does consume about a liter every 1000 kms when I am driving on the highway at constant speed for long intervals of time.
It seems my car does pretty much the same. Maybe 1500kms per liter on a highway.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The oil sensor on these cars is not very precise. It takes a while for it to arrive at a correct reading. So generally, it reads a high level initially and then after driving like 20 to 30 miles it shows the correct reading, which is lower than what it read initially. At least, this is what it does on my car. Never bothered about it.

Same here, I burn a ton more oil on long highway trips. I also burn significantly less since I went back to 10w60. I was burning through a quart every 1200 miles or so on the newly approved 5w30.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I burned no oil at all at a track day. I also burn no oil at all on long trips. Oil is burnt when there are lots of cold starts.

Also, oil consumption also depends on how nicely the car is driven when cold. When I drive the car it never goes above 3K until it's a full operating temp. My dad isn't quite as picky as me and the car definitely burns more oil when he drives it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It took my M 2600 miles to drop a liter from the last oil change. 1000 miles of that was cruising at mostly 80 mph in a roundtrip between norcal and socal.

That was a record for me. Most other times it's approximately 800-1500 miles between liter fill ups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts