BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this board, got my beast 2 days ago and I pretty much spent the night in there last night reading the instruction manual :) but my question is regarding oil changes; how often do you guys do them? And how much does it usually set you back at a dealer? I don't plan on pushing my car much, just a daily commuter and no high revving---atleast not much ;)
Thanks you fellow member, your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to the board! In terms of oil changes, I change mine every 5k - 7.5k miles even though BMW recommends every 10k. Why wouldn't you want to rev the car up? That's the true beauty of the S85! If you plan on keeping the revs low, you should've gotten a car with more torque which would be better suited for the street.

Reactions: revol5M

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with SunnyD, why wouldnt you want to rev up that V10. Its healthy for a car to be redlined once and a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dealer just did mine last week. I'm still under free service, but I noticed the iDrive says next change 15,000 miles. That seems ridiculous. I've added a quart every now and then as it burns off too.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Get a oil change kit a getbmwparts.com for $140, change it yourself. I change my oil once a year or 7,500 miles. There is a real good DIY post here on the forum on how to change the oil. If you want to spend less use liqui moly race tech oil 10w60, (in my opinion this is better oil). Good luck enjoy your beast (I know you will)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I change mine every 5k. Costs around 170 at the dealer with the BMW CCA discount.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Congrats on the car!!! I downloaded the pdf of the manual and read the whole thing on my flight to Asia after I bought my car a few months ago. Don't rev it high when the engine is cold, but when warmed up the car almost needs to rev high. My car burns more oil when my wife drives it (super gentle) compared to when I drive it (lots of high revs). Not sure why, but there is a noticeable difference. I wonder if anyone else noticed this. In fact, with my driving it barely burns oil at all.

I do oil changes twice as often for a piece of mind, but I don't think it's bad to just do what the car tells you to.

<rant>OIL RANT
Also, while some like to use non-relevant data such as engine temp to state that some other oil is better, for my own car I would only use Castrol TWS. I am not saying other oil isn't better, I am just saying risk is not worth the reward to me.

When my engine died on my M3, BMW covered it OUT OF WARRANTY, but I had to show proof that I only used Castrol TWS 10w-60. That should be reason enough to stick with Castrol. Also, BMW spends a lot of time and money making sure Castrol works well in your car. Research has been done for you. Redline probably works really well with no side effects, but Castrol works for sure. These are special high performance engines with very high stresses and speeds, so I would not only go by weight. In a way I am glad BMW recommends only one oil, rarely do you have a luxury that both exact oil and engine have been tested to perform well together (usually you have to go by oil ratings and weights). It takes the guesswork out.

I agree that it's mostly marketing that they chose to only recommend Castrol, but still there is no reason other than cost to switch to an alternative (you don't get more hp or a meaner sound from Redline or Liqui Moly race oils). And Castrol continues to improve their TWS oil (it's not the same as 7 years ago). Sure there is a balance and a compromise there with TWS oil (it performs well at any outside temp). I just don't see what you gain or improve by using an alternative. Sure, you save 10-20 bucks on an oil change for a $100k car. But 10-20 bucks doesn't even cover half of a tank of gas you burn in no time with this engine.

I am sorry but I don't get it, and I am tired of all these threads popping up saying that Liqui Moly or Redline is better than Castrol, with no real data to back it up. Are people also using 87 gas because it's cheaper and has higher energy density? At least post up a good study with Blackstone labs or something. Cooler engine oil temps doesn't mean anything about how it protects the moving parts, it just means it's different - which is what makes me nervous.

</rant>Sorry, but mis-information needs to stop. Use whatever you want in your V10, but please don't tell me it's a better idea than Castrol. In fact, those that choose to use different oils should keep us updated on how their cars are performing and any differences they see. It will make the M5 board a richer resource. I just don't like the word 'better' without facts to back it up.

/OIL RANT

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I change my oil every 5000 miles. For this motor it's TWS only for now ad i am in warranty I may be tempted to run M1 0W-40 in the winter or could at least understand why one would do so.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Congrats on the car!!! I downloaded the pdf of the manual and read the whole thing on my flight to Asia after I bought my car a few months ago. Don't rev it high when the engine is cold, but when warmed up the car almost needs to rev high. My car burns more oil when my wife drives it (super gentle) compared to when I drive it (lots of high revs). Not sure why, but there is a noticeable difference. I wonder if anyone else noticed this. In fact, with my driving it barely burns oil at all.

I do oil changes twice as often for a piece of mind, but I don't think it's bad to just do what the car tells you to.

<RANT>OIL RANT
Also, while some like to use non-relevant data such as engine temp to state that some other oil is better, for my own car I would only use Castrol TWS. I am not saying other oil isn't better, I am just saying risk is not worth the reward to me.

When my engine died on my M3, BMW covered it OUT OF WARRANTY, but I had to show proof that I only used Castrol TWS 10w-60. That should be reason enough to stick with Castrol. Also, BMW spends a lot of time and money making sure Castrol works well in your car. Research has been done for you. Redline probably works really well with no side effects, but Castrol works for sure. These are special high performance engines with very high stresses and speeds, so I would not only go by weight. In a way I am glad BMW recommends only one oil, rarely do you have a luxury that both exact oil and engine have been tested to perform well together (usually you have to go by oil ratings and weights). It takes the guesswork out.

I agree that it's mostly marketing that they chose to only recommend Castrol, but still there is no reason other than cost to switch to an alternative (you don't get more hp or a meaner sound from Redline or Liqui Moly race oils). And Castrol continues to improve their TWS oil (it's not the same as 7 years ago). Sure there is a balance and a compromise there with TWS oil (it performs well at any outside temp). I just don't see what you gain or improve by using an alternative. Sure, you save 10-20 bucks on an oil change for a $100k car. But 10-20 bucks doesn't even cover half of a tank of gas you burn in no time with this engine.

I am sorry but I don't get it, and I am tired of all these threads popping up saying that Liqui Moly or Redline is better than Castrol, with no real data to back it up. Are people also using 87 gas because it's cheaper and has higher energy density? At least post up a good study with Blackstone labs or something. Cooler engine oil temps doesn't mean anything about how it protects the moving parts, it just means it's different - which is what makes me nervous.

</RANT>Sorry, but mis-information needs to stop. Use whatever you want in your V10, but please don't tell me it's a better idea than Castrol. In fact, those that choose to use different oils should keep us updated on how their cars are performing and any differences they see. It will make the M5 board a richer resource. I just don't like the word 'better' without facts to back it up.

/OIL RANT
A forum is to let other members knowyour reviews and opinions, at the end of the day each of us dd with our cars whatever we want. But I will say again, due to less VANOS noise (quieter overall specially cold), less oil comsumption, and lower oil temps (less friction), Moly is a better oil IN MY OPINION. God only knows how much Castrol is paying BMW to be their exclusive oil !!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree with you on that. And sorry for thread jacking.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have seen cars at the dealer getting the recommended 15k mile oil change and have seen the sludge that is under the valve covers for some that wait that long. My car gets its oil changed every 5k miles and I am sticking with the Castrol. Do the job yourself. It is very easy and in my opinion rewarding.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I just called a dealership to see how much they charge....$425 for an oil change :eek:oohhh: seems a little on the steep side.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just called a dealership to see how much they charge....$425 for an oil change :eek:oohhh: seems a little on the steep side.

That's VERY steep considering I can change mine in my garage in about an hour, alot of that time waiting for the oil to warm up after the the change to get a reading of where it's at. The oil (9 liters) plus the filter kit costs $140 retail from my dealer.

I expect the dealer could have it done in less than an hour. So yea, that's very high.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's VERY steep considering I can change mine in my garage in about an hour, alot of that time waiting for the oil to warm up after the the change to get a reading of where it's at. The oil (9 liters) plus the filter kit costs $140 retail from my dealer.

I expect the dealer could have it done in less than an hour. So yea, that's very high.
Dealer should not charge you more than an hour of work for an oil change (so less than $120), and my independent BMW shop will do it for $20 labor. Parts should not be more than $140, and even less with BMW CCA membership.

In conclusion $350 would be most I would expect from a dealer, but paying more than $200 is crazy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya that seems way too steep! I've read on many forums that it runs around $175. I'll probably do some shopping around, I usually take all of my cars to the dealership. Any advantage to taking it to the dealer as oppsoed to doing it at a small shop?

Knowing me I wont do it on my own :]

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Ya that seems way too steep! I've read on many forums that it runs around $175. I'll probably do some shopping around, I usually take all of my cars to the dealership. Any advantage to taking it to the dealer as oppsoed to doing it at a small shop?

Knowing me I wont do it on my own :]

I will stir the pot...this is controversial...and may get some lively discussion..."some say that GT1 (the BMW computer) is needed for an S85 oil change as it cycles the pumps"

FWIW...i do my own interval changes...

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I just called another dealer and they said $240....the prices from dealer to dealer are ridiculous. I would do it myself but $240 is not that bad considering the oil and filter runs $150 here so $90 for labor is about in the right price range.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Here in Puerto Rico I got a quote at the local dealer of 350 dollars just for the oil and filter (no Labor). They wanted 30 dollars per liter of TWS and 50 dollars for the oil filter plus taxes, fees etc. That why I went with moly oil and a mann oil filter for 118. I agree prices between dealers are very different. BMW parts here are VERY expensive, I get everything for my M5 ordening online (exept for fluids)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts