BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my '03 and have changed the oil 1-2 times a year (not my daily driver) since 2013, but I've still got this question.

Since the oil filter housing is remote-mounted on rubber anti-vibration mounts, it flexes when you remove/replace the cap. I put the orange McMaster items on mine early on since the OEM mounts look crusty.

I'm always nervous I'll tear the mounts when taking the cap off the housing, though I never have. I've made an effort to hold the housing still using various prybars and wood blocks over the years. I'm wondering if there's a strategy for keeping the filter housing still while changing the filter. I suspect the answer will be "don't worry about it" but I just know in my heart that those rubber mounts will tear someday...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just hold it with my hand. It does flex a bit, but the cap shouldn't be too tight to begin with. Just tight enough to screw to the bottom.
Bushings were completely torn when I got my car. After replacing I try to be carefull when tightening and loosening the cap but if they break again, they aren't too expensive to replace again. I would be more concerend of scratching or tearing something with a prybar or a block of wood.

·
Super Moderator
4,852 Posts
I'd let the mounts do the work and replace as needed, but if you must counter the force of using the 36mm socket on the cap, have you considered a strap wrench on the housing?

·
Registered
702 Posts
don't worry about them as there are lots of options available in the aftermarket on replacements so the cost is pennies not hundreds. I have a bag of them waiting and waiting as I change oil every 500 miles or two years which ever comes first. So far in 9 years, the biannual oil change is the point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts