BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can someone give me information about these sensort - my questions are :
1. If oil temp sensor is disconected does it change anything with engine working - do the ECU gets info from it or it is only for the gauge
2. I have 2 water temp sensors one blue and one black - I think the black is for the gauge and the blue is for the ECU so ETK tells me that at the place of the BLUE sersors can be 2 different ones :

13.TEMPERATURE SENSOR 10/1992 13621709966 $25.06
13.TEMPERATURE SENSOR, WATER 13621401945 $31.50

so how to determine which is for me the car is 04.1993

3. Can someone tells me the sensor resistance when car is on hot ( normal temp )

I ran for about 15min and check
Blue sensor 260ohms
Black sensor 560ohms
Is this resistance good or too low and are the sensors with same resistance ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
KAMIKADZE said:
Hi
Can someone give me information about these sensort - my questions are :
1. If oil temp sensor is disconected does it change anything with engine working - do the ECU gets info from it or it is only for the gauge
2. I have 2 water temp sensors one blue and one black - I think the black is for the gauge and the blue is for the ECU so ETK tells me that at the place of the BLUE sersors can be 2 different ones :

13.TEMPERATURE SENSOR 10/1992 13621709966 $25.06
13.TEMPERATURE SENSOR, WATER 13621401945 $31.50

so how to determine which is for me the car is 04.1993

3. Can someone tells me the sensor resistance when car is on hot ( normal temp )

I ran for about 15min and check
Blue sensor 260ohms
Black sensor 560ohms
Is this resistance good or too low and are the sensors with same resistance ?

Get the 13621401945 sensor, as it has gold plated connectors rather than tin.
All M5s should use the gold connector sensor according to this:
http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=bmw_sensor_faults_and_problems

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I change the cables :biggrin: Use the bigger resistance sensor 560ohm ( colder ) for the ECU - the car now have better idle , responce and acceleration - much better - but the original cooland sensor is new so it is good - I thing of too high temp around the sensor the engine is in E36 chasis so ...

Can some one help me with something - drive the car to normal temp - gauge on middle - open the hood - disconect the blue sensor and chech the resistance of the sensor using multimeter ... please help

·
Registered
218 Posts
KAMIKADZE said:
I change the cables :biggrin: Use the bigger resistance sensor 560ohm ( colder ) for the ECU - the car now have better idle , responce and acceleration - much better - but the original cooland sensor is new so it is good - I thing of too high temp around the sensor the engine is in E36 chasis so ...

Can some one help me with something - drive the car to normal temp - gauge on middle - open the hood - disconect the blue sensor and chech the resistance of the sensor using multimeter ... please help

According to Bentley it should have betwwen 270 and 400 Ohms at 80°C coolant temperature (and 2100 to 2900 Ohms at 20°C).

·
Registered
218 Posts
KAMIKADZE said:
Yes but do the ECU take like a mistake 240-260 ohms ?

I see your point, but my immediate answer would be no. I would expect the coolant temperature to reach close to a 100° C at max, and I would think that would easily give those kind of values. Give me some time, and I will check my values, but please note that I have no way of knowing my exact coolant temp. I can tell you that according to my mechanic's diagnostic equipment, my car was idling at around 82° C when warm. The ECU would indicate a problem with the coolant sensor if the values are outside of the normal range, when hooked up to some diagnostic equipment.

·
Registered
218 Posts
KAMIKADZE said:
AlexA I will be thankfull if you check yours.
I checked my new blue sensor with the gold plating today. With a fully warmed up engine, it had a resistance of 120 Ohms.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow I think you have problem with the cooling .... mine after 10 starts of 1/4mile and in E36 chasis ( hoter ) 260ohms

·
Registered
218 Posts
KAMIKADZE said:
wow I think you have problem with the cooling .... mine after 10 starts of 1/4mile and in E36 chasis ( hoter ) 260ohms
Temps are fine, but I don't trust my multimeter that much. My temp gauge is in the middle and the oil temp is also just below the middle. I will check the meter with another temp sender and boiling water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts