BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am out of my maintenance coverage period and need to get an oil change at my local BMW service center. How much should I expect to pay? They quoted me between $400 - $500, is this sound right? Any advice/feedback would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance. FYI - I live in SoCal and usually go to SouthBay BMW.

Cheers,
SDAWG

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Dumb question, but why does it cost so much? Is there something else done with an oil and filter change?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Dumb question, but why does it cost so much? Is there something else done with an oil and filter change?
Not a dumb question, but they are called Stealerships for a good reason. Lubrication service is simple, easy and fast. They figure if you drive an M6 you have more money than God or even Peyton Manning.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was at the BMW dealership in
Charlottesville Va for a state inspection. I asked about the oil change frequency and stated I change my oil every 4-5k in my other cars, synthetic oil, and the service guy said he would do it that often as well on the M6. Told me it would be $80.00. I am still covered under full waranty until Dec but if I wanted to change the oil before just 80 bucks. That didn't sound too bad to me.
Dan

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I use to change my 550's oil every 5k miles in between the 15k BMW interval. I plan to do the same with the M6. Oil filters for the 550 are $15 and the oil is just under $8 each. It would cost me around 80 bucks to do it myself. I'm not sure how much the filter kit is for the M6, or how may quarts it takes, but I'm betting it is close to $80. I don't see how anyone would pay $400 for just an oil/ filter change.....unless they are doing other services. I had read that V8 M3's get a valve adjustment during the oil change, which I could see costing $400

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I use to change my 550's oil every 5k miles in between the 15k BMW interval. I plan to do the same with the M6. Oil filters for the 550 are $15 and the oil is just under $8 each. It would cost me around 80 bucks to do it myself. I'm not sure how much the filter kit is for the M6, or how may quarts it takes, but I'm betting it is close to $80. I don't see how anyone would pay $400 for just an oil/ filter change.....unless they are doing other services. I had read that V8 M3's get a valve adjustment during the oil change, which I could see costing $400

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ajax got a deal on a few cases of the special Castrol 10W-60 oil (about $10/litre)... but it typically sells for almost twice that per unit and is hard to find outside of the stealership. It takes about 9 litres, if Ajax's memory serves him well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
In the UK, i buy the oil online for £80 then about £40 pounds for the change + standard scope of £16, so apprx £140 all in.

Dealers will charge you crazy money for the oil, so its best to buy your own and supply it to the dealer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts