BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I had a coolant warning and the temp gauge went to red so I got it towed to the BMW workshop. It was pressure tested overnight and there was no sign of coolant in the oil or any other tell tale signs but the radiator cap had fallen apart. I have been driving it since and then this morning the coolant check warning came on again. I also had to top up oil (10w60 synthetic) which means I have used around 4-5 litres in 3500 kms and whilst I understood these engines used oil this does seem excessive. This shop also did the PPI for me and apart from brakes and some relatively minor stuff it all checked out and the BMW trained tech was impressed at how strongly the car pulled.

Any ideas about where my coolant is going with no obvious leaks ( I am taking the car back on Monday ) and should I be concerned about the oil consumption? Valve covers need doing but do these usually leak so badly? I have expected to spend money on the car but a rebuild wasnt in those plans

Castrol EDGE 10W-60 SN | Features and Recommended Engines | Castrol EDGE Australia this is the oil I am using

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The coolant is likely escaping via a poorly installed/sealed thermostat connector pipes(pinched O-rings) or your busted cap or did you replace it already. The cooling system gets pressurized so it leave where there is least resistance.

I suggest you put the car up on ramps, take off the bottom trays and do your own inspection from the bottom after you have driven it. Watch out for hot parts!

You should take off the plenum so you can get a good look at the thermostat housing and surrounding area to look for coolant loss.

You are likely losing oil via poorly seated and designed piston rings which were revised in later production years.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/83114-piston-ring-re-design-my2000.html

The engine might also be getting so hot due to insufficient coolant that it is burning more oil?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip

its off to workshop tomorrow so will suggest those options and I guess the oil usage just goes with the territory. I thought the new radiator cap had fixed the problem but not that lucky.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Earlier S62's had "looser" piston rings which created less friction and some argue there was less friction loss - therefore more power to the wheels, at the expense of drinking a little more oil.

However that is about 3-4 Liters for 2,000 miles, and that is a bit excessive. I have heard of "healthy" early S62s drinking about 1L/1000 miles (1600 km). So definitely cause for (mild) concern, imho

·
Registered
470 Posts
Think you have the incorrect oil

A few weeks ago I had a coolant warning and the temp gauge went to red so I got it towed to the BMW workshop. It was pressure tested overnight and there was no sign of coolant in the oil or any other tell tale signs but the radiator cap had fallen apart. I have been driving it since and then this morning the coolant check warning came on again. I also had to top up oil (10w60 synthetic) which means I have used around 4-5 litres in 3500 kms and whilst I understood these engines used oil this does seem excessive. This shop also did the PPI for me and apart from brakes and some relatively minor stuff it all checked out and the BMW trained tech was impressed at how strongly the car pulled.

Any ideas about where my coolant is going with no obvious leaks ( I am taking the car back on Monday ) and should I be concerned about the oil consumption? Valve covers need doing but do these usually leak so badly? I have expected to spend money on the car but a rebuild wasnt in those plans

Castrol EDGE 10W-60 SN | Features and Recommended Engines | Castrol EDGE Australia this is the oil I am using
Not wanting to start an OIL argument, but if you look at the Castrol chart in the auto shops, they state the 5-30 or 5-40 as the correct oil for E39 M5. I have also called their tech line in the past and been told similar, and called Mobil and they quote their m1 5-30 as well. Castrol were supplying The good old TWS 10-60 for M5 thru BMW dealers, and last time I looked they still were. FYI I use Liqui Moly 10-60 from Germany avail from Clickable auto in Melbourne. Another member up here just replaces his rod bearings, and has changed to the Castrol 5-30, looking for a thinner oil on cold start. I like the idea that if TWS 10-60 was the original oil specified (my car is 1/2000) then the closest to that is what I'll use, and this seems to me to be the German Liqui Moly. Castrol won't supply TWS to anyone but dealers, and at $33 per litre they can keep it!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re oil consumption, myself and the other member up here, his is 12/99 build, 160,000 km and mine 1/2000, 133,000 km both use about 1 litre per 2-3 tanks fuel, ie every 700-1000 km. Usage is less on highway, but heavier if doing hard mountain twisties driving.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
i would also check the "heat exchange" O rings.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
possible culprit

Passenger valve cover dripping quite heavily, drivers side not so bad, coolant leak seems to be coming from fan switch in bottom radiator hose.
Well just pulled trigger on some gear from ECS

Koni Yellows F&R
Hawk HPS pad
All the relevant hardware for shock swap
sway bushes Powerflex plus links etc
Curved control arms
Spark plugs
Valve cover gaskets
ECS brake line kit
and a bunch of misc bits

So my local shop is doing all the work and it makes sense to do it all at once while everything is apart and I love the car as it is but she should be pretty sharp after this work

From Partscontainer on EBAY set of F&R euro floating alloy hub rotors OEM

This weekend off for some paintless dent removal and professional buff and polish....that stops me from respraying it

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
316 Posts
oh good! An oil thread :)

FWIW, I have a 10/1999 and I burn a qt every 700 Km in city traffic. I've often thought of replacing pistons and rings but realize that if I can actually just get away with replacing 1/2liter of 10w-60 with every tank I should just keep doing that.

·
Registered
470 Posts
From the link the OP posted to the Castrol Edge site,
Put in E39M5 S62 engine and it states:
Edge 5-30 as first choice
0-40 as second, and 5-40 as third.
Edge 10-60 SN is not the correct oil for M5 E39 engines. Sorry.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thats interesting

My BMW workshop uses this oil 10w60 fully syn....and I have seen it mentioned elsewhere......guess I shouldnt trust what I hear plus also should have checked castrol site and the link. Is the 10w too heavy for a car with 184000km?
I certainly dont want to ruin my engine and woukd the 2001 update have used the heavier weight?

·
Registered
470 Posts
My BMW workshop uses this oil 10w60 fully syn....and I have seen it mentioned elsewhere......guess I shouldnt trust what I hear plus also should have checked castrol site and the link. Is the 10w too heavy for a car with 184000km?
I certainly dont want to ruin my engine and woukd the 2001 update have used the heavier weight?
It's a bit confusing, the TWS 10-60 was the original correct oil, castrol changed all the names around,
They now have the Edge name, but the Edge 10-60 is not the same oil as the old TWS 10-60.
Hence they now recommend the 5-30, which is the equivalent to the Bmw 5-30 which was used by dealers in place of TWS 10-60 from 2001 ish, but some still have the TWS 10-60, which I think also says Edge TWS 10-60 on the bottle now.
But it's hard to find, Castrol only sell to BMW dealers and oil bulk wholesalers, I was getting it in 20litre drums from a truck parts shop for a while, half the price of dealer.
Lots threads on here do a search.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts