BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Fuel dilution seems to occur in these cars when they aren't driven at operating temperature for a while. Sitting and idling means that the engine runs longer below op temp and the fuel in the oil won't burn off.
I never realised this :eek

I'll change my habits and drive the car reservedly until it gets up to temperature in that case

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not sure where to drop this so I picked here, at least the title is correct. I took the sample right from the oil filter drain plug for maximum contamination. The bearings were changed by the PO at 99k miles. Visual inspection of the filter revealed no metal. Higher than normal miles and oil consumption due to 3500 miles road trip to Thunder hill.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Motul 5w-30, I'm not to crazy about all the oil viscosity being this or that. I live in a moderate climate so anything will do. I have never liked the heavy stuff. Proper warm up and frequent oil changes are my standard.

·
2,179 Posts
Wow... And I've been worried about tracking with 5w50 lol... Do you get overheat warnings at the track(not oil related but just curious how hot oil gets)?

·
Registered
499 Posts
No warnings at the track. Oil runs just above 210 on hot days, I keep and eye on it always. Most sessions are about 20 minutes.

·
2,179 Posts
Got it. Last I run hpde events a couple years ago temps were 210 most of the time. But this year running 275/35/18 (smaller diameter) causes the engine to run way hotter. Depends on the track too. At blackhawk I got repeated temp warnings at 250+. At Autobahn north it got hot (halfway between 210 and 300) but never got a warning. Trying to keep up with the newer cars means I'm redlining waaay more often than couple years ago.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I hear you on trying to keep up with other cars! When these monsters came out 507hp was significant. These days with turbos it's nothing. I try and drive my own race to help preserve tires, brakes and the hard parts. 4000+ pounds doesn't help either.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I hear you on trying to keep up with other cars! When these monsters came out 507hp was significant. These days with turbos it's nothing. I try and drive my own race to help preserve tires, brakes and the hard parts. 4000+ pounds doesn't help either.
Do you take the oil sample from the filter drain plug or the oil pan drain plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes the filter drain plug. As the most common way to reliably check for bearing wear I figured it would be the best place to take a sample.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts