BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received my oil analysis data today from my most recent oil change. The results look good. Only problem is i changed my oil and put the old oil in a couple of clean gallon jugs to take to recycling, then the oil analysis kit came 3 days later. Could oil sitting in a jug for a few days allow solutes etc to 'settle' out. My analysis came back really good, and the blackstone site said it's ok to store the oil like i did, oh well, i'll get another kit and try again next time.
Mike

·
Registered
376 Posts
mottati said:
I received my oil analysis data today from my most recent oil change. The results look good. Only problem is i changed my oil and put the old oil in a couple of clean gallon jugs to take to recycling, then the oil analysis kit came 3 days later. Could oil sitting in a jug for a few days allow solutes etc to 'settle' out. My analysis came back really good, and the blackstone site said it's ok to store the oil like i did, oh well, i'll get another kit and try again next time.
Mike
Mike,

Could you please post the test results (for us oilheads)?...Was it 10w-60?...

Thanks,

Mark

·
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
drallen said:
Mike,

Could you please post the test results (for us oilheads)?...Was it 10w-60?...

Thanks,

Mark
I was about to, but can't remove my personal data from the pdf, like address and phone number. I don't want you guys sending pizza's and hookers to my house!
I requested a ms word file that i can edit and i'll post it, or i may be able to fix it on my computer at home.

It was 10/60 and the first comment was "the only mystery about this oil sample is how it has only 2ppm of iron, when the standard would be 10ppm". They also had my car listed as "S52", i emailed them that it is actually an S62, just in case the "averages" are different. I also wonder if letting the oil sit in a container for a few days could have allowed some material to 'settle'.
Mike

·
Registered
376 Posts
mottati said:
I was about to, but can't remove my personal data from the pdf, like address and phone number. I don't want you guys sending pizza's and hookers to my house!
I requested a ms word file that i can edit and i'll post it, or i may be able to fix it on my computer at home.

Mike,

I wasn't looking for a place to send the hookers or the pizza....I was just looking for a place to send the BILL... :cheers:

Mark

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
mottati said:

It was 10/60 and the first comment was "the only mystery about this oil sample is how it has only 2ppm of iron, when the standard would be 10ppm". They also had my car listed as "S52", i emailed them that it is actually an S62, just in case the "averages" are different. I also wonder if letting the oil sit in a container for a few days could have allowed some material to 'settle'.
Mike

I think that moisture is the biggest risk in letting it sit around- either from contamination in the bottles or condensation if it is warm and then cools. (I wonder if the calcium would be real high if you used old milk bottles...)

My first UOA is in column B in Oso's attachment. 10ppm on Iron.... While one might think iron would settle, I cannot really say. Pretty viscous to allow much separation. Ask blackstone and see what they say.

Oh, if you have Adobe Acrobat (full version) just use the highlight tool set to black to black out your info... (I don't think it is a tool with the free Acrobat Reader.) You're right not to trust these guys, you won't believe what they sent me!

Adam

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
mottati said:
I don't want you guys sending pizza's and hookers to my house!
Mike
Don't worry, we aren't going to waste a good pizza!!! :D
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
34 Posts
mottati said:

Mike
Check with the guys on www.bobistheoilguy.com on the iron, they may have some insight for you. The iron does look lower than you might expect, but then again, these don't have iron cylinder liners right? Pretty much leaves just cams and maybe timing gears for iron content. That and the 8-qt capacity may account for for the low iron ppm. It's probably aluminum and silicon that should worry us most and your analysis looks nice in that regard.

Check with them on that viscosity also. Looks like the viscosity of a 30wt, not a 60.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Osodog said:
Here is some data that I gathered from my samples and several other owners. The file is large, at 1MB and is a bmp image.
Great data...

What weight of oil is on your spread sheet?

The last Blackstone test that I did on my car was with M1 15w-50...my iron was 10 ppm and my sus @ 210 was 82....

Mark

·
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
here's my data attatched below. One thing i was waiting to see was about the air filtration. I have the dinan intakes, with oiled cotton gauze filters (k&n's, except with a D on them :haha: ). Looks like they're doing their job ok.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Mike-

Those results look real 'quiet'... Car B on the other spread sheet is 5W30, as are several of the others. I believe col F is a __W30..... I wonder if the difference is the 10w60. . If you look at the viscosities, they are all in the 60-65 range, leading me to think they are all 30 weights.

I just (tonight) took another sample, the last of my winter 5w30. Tomorrow I go for an inpsection I and will switch to 10W60TWS (kind of redundant..'10 w 60, 10 w 60') I can't trust the dealer to pull a sample so I did. P I T A... to drain some, sample, get the plug back in.

I will pulse Osodog and see if he wants to update the chart- maybe share a live excel sheet with anyone who contributes a sample point?

A

·
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
comparing my data, it seems that I have a LOT less Molybdenum than the other cars, and more boron and zinc. Isn't Mb an assembly lube? I wonder if the other differences are just the oil stock. Interesting comparison.
Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
yes, I saw that - hence my wondering if it is a oil formulation difference. Or maybe the diff between a 2000 bearing configuration and the others?? (not sure what years they are but mileages are low- 21-32,000)

Hmmm, real data... we need more.

:)

A

1 - 13 of 13 Posts