BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to put Castrol 10W60 in my 2001 (12/00 build) for summertime. The Tech and an engineer from a district office said not to as it would affect the operation of the VANOS.

Anybody ever hear of this?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Never heard this one Fred. Do a search on oil and you will find a whole bunch of stuff on the subject. I've only ever heard that the 10/60 is the preferred stuff for all years although the later years do have other choices.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
the only thing i noticed is ,iff you always top off your oil , the vanossound is mutch less then when your oil is a bit on the low side.

when i hear my engine make some more vanos sound on could starts, i know i have to put some oil in.

in europe tws 10w60 is used in all M5 cars.so i would doubt it could be bad.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I found the "knocking" sounds from the vanos to be significantly reduced when I replaced the 5W30 with Penn Racing 20W50, particularly after the car was fully warmed up. I live in CA, so I am not worried about low temp performance of the oil.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
They are wrong.

It is so frustrating when BMW says "ask your local BMW dealership- they are the best ones to answer your technical questions"...and you get this.

Lots of oil info. TWS (TWS stands for 'ten W sixty') 10W-60 is fine for the VANOS.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are wrong.

It is so frustrating when BMW says "ask your local BMW dealership- they are the best ones to answer your technical questions"...and you get this.

Lots of oil info. TWS (TWS stands for 'ten W sixty') 10W-60 is fine for the VANOS.
I wrote Mike Miller of BMWCCA Tech fame and got a service bulletin from BMW that says what everyone on the forum has said. 10W60 is just fine.

Bell in Newton, NJ is usually very good. I've taken the bulletin to them so they can be "re-educated" :haha:

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
240 Posts
That guy is an idiot the oil that is supposed to go in that motor is 10W60 Don't use 5W30 in the S62

The M5's that have the sticker for 5W30 was a marketing thing because BMW did not want to pay for the 10W60 motor oil under the original 50K mile free maintainence. The technicians that developed that motor meant for 10W60 to be run in it because of the extremely high pressure VANOS Units.

·
Registered
626 Posts
That guy is an idiot the oil that is supposed to go in that motor is 10W60 Don't use 5W30 in the S62

The M5's that have the sticker for 5W30 was a marketing thing because BMW did not want to pay for the 10W60 motor oil under the original 50K mile free maintainence. The technicians that developed that motor meant for 10W60 to be run in it because of the extremely high pressure VANOS Units.
I've never seen this myth written so succinctly before. It's still a myth though.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts

I agree with that 100%.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Lets just say I have seen M5's and M3's with major issues due to the dealerships using 5W30 motor oil and I have inside informnation that BMW Motorsport did not develop those motors to run off of 5W30 motor oil. Thats why you have some cars with these stupid decals that say you can run the 5W30 and some that don't say it. The whole problem with the M3 motors having bearing issues was partly because of the 5W30 motor oil. Thats why they don't recomend using it any more in those motors. I have also seen many VANOS units lock up between 60 and 80k because of the 5W30 motor oil.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have a look at the following thread:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67171<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I always use 10W60 and never used 5W30 oil. A friend of mine lost his M3 engine because of bearing issues and he was told that if he had the 10W60 oil in his engine, he likely wouldn't have to replace his engine.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The whole problem with the M3 motors having bearing issues was partly because of the 5W30 motor oil.
The first round of the M3 bearing issue was caused by casting sand left in the engine blocks and the second round was because of mis-manufactured bearings. Statistically, at least as far as the online board that tracked it, there was no failure rate difference between TWS engines and 5w-30 engines.

If you want a new perspective on this you should read the same story on UK BMW boards where owners complain (bitterly) about getting TWS instead of the proper lower viscosity oil. Go figure.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
If you want a new perspective on this you should read the same story on UK BMW boards where owners complain (bitterly) about getting TWS instead of the proper lower viscosity oil. Go figure.
And their theory is that it is a BMW conspiracy to make more money since BMW charges 12 euros (US$18) per liter for that TWS oil. (Again, a financial conspiracy...)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts