BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Screw the Boxster. Screw the Cab. Just got me a great deal on a 2001 Porsche Turbo. Holy ****. Can't believe I did that.

Car should be here Friday. Wahoo!

The title is clear and the car is new - has 100 miles. Black on black. I may not keep the car for a long time, but I believe I won't lose any money on it if I resell it within a year. Just to be sure I called the local dealer and described the car - they told me they would buy it at more than I paid and turn around and sell it for $15K over that.

Has a few options:
Wheel caps with crests
Lumbar drivers seat
Digital sound package
Remote cd changer
Cd in dash
Supple leather front and back.
Porsche crest in Headrests
Turbo letters on aluminium sills
Black mats

/Greg

Don't worry - ain't gonna sell the M5!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Greg,

Holy Sh***t! You lucky SOB. Then again, you poor bastard, you just spoiled all other driving experiences except for a Modena.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

Alberto

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
greg, i am so jealous. you lucky SOB. no but seriously, congrats. I wouldnt be able to sleep from the excitement. You are a very very lucky individual. I hope you keep the car. I also hope you decide to give the less fortunate a test run in your car, me me me. Then i hope instead of selling it you give it to charity. I know of one in NJ, it called 'feed the speedy', i'm chairman and ceo of this organisation. Your donation would help thousands of speed starving harmone kids, as i drive by them at 911 TT speeds.

puff puff puff

but on a more serious note, i think you can get more the 15k over sticker. I've seen one going for 178k. wow. dont sell it soo cheap, i think the dealer will make out real happy, i think at least.

anyway best of luck, you have definately put a smile on my face. BTW looking for a tax break?

fas

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FAIS2000 - thanks.I've put your charity down on my list. (I won't say WHICH list.... )

SteveG - Thanks for the link - very cool. Oh God, gotta hang out on MORE message boards now.

Having negotiated the deal only about an hour ago, my heart is still pumping.

The funny thing is this - here I am, 43 years old, enough money that this is "OK" - and this absolutely fulfills a life-long dream of mine, one that until recently had to remain just that - a dream. But you know what? I know I'm going to get grief from my parents. And it will bug me. (Don't worry, I'm OK - part of my mental process was crafting the response I'll use at the first words of criticism - designed to hush them up and not raise the subject again.) But it's weird that parents can hold that judgemental position in my life well into my adult years.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
wow Greg, way to go!
Hope I can make decisions like that in my near future (still got a couple more years in school)

make sure you share with us some pics/videos of your new beast!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
996TT and an M5? Nicccccce!!! Can I email you my resume???

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Made us all jealous. I wonder how fast it would be with a chip increasing boost 5lbs or so?

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am married. In fact - my wife is out of town and I made this decision independently (although I had discussed the Boxster idea with her.) I spoke to her tonight and she was completely supportive.

How cool is that?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Independent decisions are always best made when the wife is out of town.

Congrats on the purchase, Greg. Goodness, that is one fine garage you're gonna have there. Are you going to remove the silly little bumper knobs that they added to the front for US spec cars?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Greg,

Congratulations! You lucky son-of-a-gun. I have been lusting after the 2001 TT as well but I don't think I will be able to pull it off with my wife. I saw one this weekend at a Porsche show and I fell in love. I was also thinking of the perfect "stable" of 996 TT/M5; that is a lot of ponies!

It's O.K. if a certain Porsche decides to show up for our Wine Country M5 drive #2.

John

·
Registered
417 Posts
greg,
Congrats. Personally, I don't see how you will bring yourself to sell it...good luck on that one!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Greg, I agree, don't ever sell it. If it is bought and paid for, why not enjoy it. Porsches are the best exotic daily drivers out there.

Remember my wifes friend with the CLK430 Convertible? She is going to keep that no matter what. She paid cash for it and figures it would always be fun to have a convertible.

Now, you are almost just like the CEO of Sanmina, he has a black E39 M5 and a black 993TT.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Congrats on the toy!

As for spouses: mine spent several years pointedly reminding me that I bought my Taurus SHO back in 3/91 while she was out of town.

As for the M5, I mentioned it to her a couple of times, her response was basically "oh, whatever" so I did.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, guys -

All - you might be right - I may NOT sell it. Who knows. And I promise to get pics up soon.

KKelly - interesting comment about the Sanmina guy. A friend of mine (EVP @ Phone.com) also has a 993Turbo and an M5. I've driven his 993 - a real beast - loads of power but frankly a really awful ride. I'm expecting much more from the 996.

I WILL let you know.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Based on the Road and Track right up, the 996 sounds like a pretty refined car.

The only downside would be everybody and their brother trying to get a race out of you. I hope you don't mind every slammed Civic this side of Elko, Nevada revving on you at stoplights. Maybe you should just roll down your window and tell them it is just a 996 with a bodykit and fake badges, now go away.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
What?

Could you repeat that?

CONGRATULATIONS!

Now you have the fastest and the best sedan on the planet

AND the best sportscar on the planet!

Forget Caranddriver result that the 360 is better. The 996 Turbo is better in every respect (minus maybe design and other "soft" issues).

You can't be unlucky with this choise.

But hey, you WILL loose your license. Just tell me for how long when it happens

If you ay you won't feel the speed in the M5. don't even mention the 996 turbo. Move to Germany, the only solution or be on a track every week...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
765 Posts
Greg,
whole lotta congratulations
i always thought that TT is a great Porsche and a good alternative to M5, but if you can...KEEP THEM BOTH
and you can have your wife too

So lucky!

------------------
SL

1 - 20 of 43 Posts