BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys look what I found today, aren't I lucky. I know what I'll be doing next week! Do I need a press?

wb left.JPG

wb left closeup.JPG

wb right.JPG

wb right closeup.JPG

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Mine too. Just noticed this the other day when I had her on the lift. Guess I'll be changing them out when the GC coilovers go on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fairly sure you replace the arm, it has a bush press fitted on the side and a ball joint where it bolts to the hub end, quite an easy swap after watching a mate swap his on a 540

Do you have any symptoms or just noticed it by looking?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Reactions: Leezamonkey

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fairly sure you replace the arm, it has a bush press fitted on the side and a ball joint where it bolts to the hub end, quite an easy swap after watching a mate swap his on a 540

Do you have any symptoms or just noticed it by looking?
Yeah it was pulling all over the place, into ruts and to the side of the road towards the curb, nightmare, hope this sorts it.

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You are lucky,Lee...

these are the easy ones to replace.

Takes about 30 min per side...

The inner bolt and nut is easy,both 18mm socket IIRC...

The outer nut on the ball joint can be a biatch,you try to open it(also18mm socket) and the ball joint turns.It has a 10mm hex to hold,but this gets usually round...

Forget vice grip pliers...

If the new wishbones have nuts,cut the old nut away with the angle grinder....

If they do not have new nuts,get some...

Usually the ball joint is so loose that you do not need tools to remove it.
If stuck,a hammer forces it out...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are lucky,Lee...

these are the easy ones to replace.

Takes about 30 min per side...

The inner bolt and nut is easy,both 18mm socket IIRC...

The outer nut on the ball joint can be a biatch,you try to open it(also18mm socket) and the ball joint turns.It has a 10mm hex to hold,but this gets usually round...

Forget vice grip pliers...

If the new wishbones have nuts,cut the old nut away with the angle grinder....

If they do not have new nuts,get some...

Usually the ball joint is so loose that you do not need tools to remove it.
If stuck,a hammer forces it out...
Raikku, is there anything you don't know how to do on this car? ;) Thank you as always :cheers:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Raikku, is there anything you don't know how to do on this car? ;) Thank you as always :cheers:
Welcome,mate...

Well,I had mine and a few others in pieces,so a bit experience with those...:7:

And with mine it is only a few weeks ago,I changed ALL suspension and steering consumables..ouich
So memory is fresh on the socket sizes...

Have to do the same stuff next week again,on a board member's car...

Check out the lower ball joints and integral links as well,you problem that the rear axle is all over the place sounds a bit like that...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Might as well replace the lot

If the upper wishbone is shot, it is a pretty sure bet that the balljoints are gone too. Looks like your car sees a lot of snow/salt given how rusty the back of the wheel carrier and the bolt thru the integral link look. Do a quick search under "rear suspension refresh" and "ball joints" and you'll see a fair number of DIYs. I did this about two months ago. Nothing that difficult and makes a world of difference. If they haven't been done yet, you're probably looking at:

- both upper wishbones
- integral links
- ball joints
- sway bar links (but yours look new)

Have at it and good luck.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the upper wishbone is shot, it is a pretty sure bet that the balljoints are gone too. Looks like your car sees a lot of snow/salt given how rusty the back of the wheel carrier and the bolt thru the integral link look. Do a quick search under "rear suspension refresh" and "ball joints" and you'll see a fair number of DIYs. I did this about two months ago. Nothing that difficult and makes a world of difference. If they haven't been done yet, you're probably looking at:

- both upper wishbones
- integral links
- ball joints
- sway bar links (but yours look new)

Have at it and good luck.
I think I may do it all but wasn't sure I could o it myself, after a little search I was a little more confident! I done the sway bar links last May after one of them broke at the same time a sway bar bracket broke on the other side lol. I don't know about previous owners but I have'nt really used it in winter months. It has however done 143k, so that doesn't help. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if theres no play in the ball joint i'd remove the arms, clean the joint, regrease and install a new dust boot.
There is a tiny bit of play but I'd rather just know it's been done and its then not something to keep a check on.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Replaced the wishbones today, just waiting for the rest of the bits to come in, broke the retaining clip that sits around the wishbone, so I've been trying to find a part number if there is one...
Looking much better now, old ones were indeed fucxed...

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG

and then I found there seems to be fluid leaking from the diff at the top? Any ideas?

IMG_2557.JPG

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They work now lol

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The oil on the diff is from the breather....Did you overfill it a bit?

Part numbers for the plastic thingy:

<table class="list_table" id="parts_table" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td id="tr_26" class="row_out" rowspan="3" align="center" valign="middle">6

</td> </tr><tr> <td id="select_2" valign="middle">Left bracket f pulse generator ABS</td> <td id="select_1" align="center" valign="middle"> 33 18 1 182 957
</td> <td id="select_1" colspan="2">
</td> <td id="select_1" class="lite_text" align="center">
</td> <td id="select_1" class="lite_text" align="center">
</td> <td id="select_1" align="center">
</td> <td id="select_1" align="center">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td id="select_2" valign="middle">Right bracket f pulse generator ABS</td> <td id="select_1" align="center" valign="middle"> 33 18 1 182 958
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The oil on the diff is from the breather....Did you overfill it a bit?

Part numbers for the plastic thingy:

<TABLE id=parts_table class=list_table border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=tr_26 class=row_out vAlign=center rowSpan=3 align=middle>6

</TD></TR><TR> <TD id=select_2 vAlign=center>Left bracket f pulse generator ABS</TD> <TD id=select_1 vAlign=center align=middle>33 18 1 182 957

</TD><TD id=select_1 colSpan=2>

</TD><TD id=select_1 class=lite_text align=middle>

</TD><TD id=select_1 class=lite_text align=middle>

</TD><TD id=select_1 align=middle>

</TD><TD id=select_1 align=middle>

</TD></TR><TR> <TD id=select_2 vAlign=center>Right bracket f pulse generator ABS</TD> <TD id=select_1 vAlign=center align=middle>33 18 1 182 958

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I haven't filled it at all! I already found the nubers, thanks mate ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts