BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys:

I've posted the official results, along with unofficial results based on my best efforts to compile arrival times.

http://www.gumball144.com/05rallyResults.html

There are some gaps in terms of checkpoint arrivals and I would love if anyone could let me know who arrived first into D'Acoz, Prague, KRKA National Park and Dubrovnik.

Official Results are provided by Gumball3000. All other results are compiled fromvideo & still photography, driver & witness testimonials and correlated against online sources such as the M5board, Gumball3000.net & the Ultimate Rally Forums. Best efforts have been made for accuracy - additions & corrections are welcome.

UNOFFICIAL AWARDS
I'm compiling another list of the most famous or infamous drivers, cars and incidents.

For example, I'll be announcing on my site...

THE FERRARI DOWNHILL STRAIGHT LINE ACCELERATION CHAMPION AWARD

I already know how's getting that one.

...as well as many others.

Any ideas? Nominations? Please let me know.

Best,
Alex

·
Registered
119 Posts
In chateau d'Acoz these cars arrived first:
1st. Team #06 Rolls royce phantom
2nd. Team #83 Carrera GT
3rd. Team #97 BMW 330d sport ==> Ant and Pete

Edit: the drivers of the Rolls royce phantom are Damian Williams, Richard Blackburn and Ezra Chapman.
Great update on your website, very useful and interesting information!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tjitse said:
In chateau d'Acoz these cars arrived first:
1st. Team #06 Rolls royce phantom
2nd. Team #83 Carrera GT
3rd. Team #97 BMW 330d sport ==> Ant and Pete

Edit: the drivers of the Rolls royce phantom are Damian Williams, Richard Blackburn and Ezra Chapman.
Great update on your website, very useful and interesting information!
Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
200 Posts
polizieim5 said:
Hey guys:

I've posted the official results, along with unofficial results based on my best efforts to compile arrival times.

http://www.gumball144.com/05rallyResults.html

There are some gaps in terms of checkpoint arrivals and I would love if anyone could let me know who arrived first into D'Acoz, Prague, KRKA National Park and Dubrovnik.

Official Results are provided by Gumball3000. All other results are compiled fromvideo & still photography, driver & witness testimonials and correlated against online sources such as the M5board, Gumball3000.net & the Ultimate Rally Forums. Best efforts have been made for accuracy - additions & corrections are welcome.

UNOFFICIAL AWARDS
I'm compiling another list of the most famous or infamous drivers, cars and incidents.

For example, I'll be announcing on my site...

THE FERRARI DOWNHILL STRAIGHT LINE ACCELERATION CHAMPION AWARD

I already know how's getting that one.

...as well as many others.

Any ideas? Nominations? Please let me know.

Best,
Alex
We spent an hour and 15 minutes trying to get through varoius police blocks to get to the chateau....we even hijacked a local Mini...The guy was really a gumball fan, and asked for my email address so he could keep in contact. So I gave him one of pete's (antandpete.com) "business cards" that he gave me at the launch party.

We arrived 2nd at Prague.. 8am..Just in time for a Beer and a bacon sandwich :D

Hey Pete, did he send you anything??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Alex,

thank you for the list, but there are a few things to be discussed.
You wrote it: You made the list by your best efforts.
But there are a few things you can never know during a Gumball.
And I think you forgot about a few cars that were really pushing it and were always in front of some cars you listed.
What about the red Maranello from Switzerland with the two spanish guys in it? What about the red 430 with the registration "40 ks" or something like that? I also can remember a Vanquish or DB9 always going very very fast.
For your information because you asked: The silver GT2 with #68, as known as our second car, came in first in KRKA. The red Maranello came in second. And both came in third and fourth in Prague.
About your 5th place in Taormina:
I was told by a guy at the ferry to Sicily that three cars had already passed. The black/orange SLR, Kalbas and Remy and a F430. If that was right, we (GT2 and GT3) came in 4th and 5th. Then came another F430 and then came Team Polizei.
You arrived in KRKA when we left. Maybe you remember, we changed a few words. But there were more than 10 cars who already had arrived there. I don´t know when they left Budapest and I don´t care. But we overtook a few cars that must had left Budapest before 7am. And that is the big question for me: Where from can one know when the single cars leave the checkpoints?
Regarding Dubrovnik: #68 came in second, we came in 4th or 5th, depends on the following: When the GT2 arrived they noticed (if i remember right) a 355. But they never saw this car on this day. Not during the leg and not in KRKA. So maybe the GT2 was first. But maybe the 355 was so goddamn fast that nobody noticed them. I don´t know that. Do you?

There are so many things that are unknown that it is impossible to put it in a list like you did.
And only because that there seems to be a problem with the black/orange SLR doesn´t mean that he doesn´t deserve a ranking in the top5. Don´t get me wrong, I don´t know him. I don´t know whether he is a nice guy or an *******. And I don´t care. He knows how to drive his car. And he knows to drive it very fast. That is the only thing I care about him. After all I don´t want to marry him.

If it is right that he didn´t stop to help some other Gumballers, he is very unfair and I totally agree with you and your opinion.

So I hope you don´t get me wrong, because I don´t care about such a list because it can never be fair and absolutely correct. Why?
As I wrote, there are too many things to consider.
I just wanted to write down my point of view. :blabla:

If we want to have an official ranking, we should rent a racetrack.

My list would look different. But before you ask, I won´t create one, because for me there are too many unknown factors.

Cheers
Nils

P.S.

·
Registered
68 Posts
PCP said:
...After all I don´t want to marry him.
-Liar!

BTW: I also think that it is ridiculous to make a list of the fastest car of the Gumball. It`s just too many cars and they do different routes and start at different times, take different brakes etc.

That`s why it is a rally, not a race.

If you want a proper list, join the UR and hope that it actually takes place. ;)

For me the best driver of the 2005 Gumball is Neo of car #68.

·
Registered
181 Posts
nitro said:
For me the best driver of the 2005 Gumball is Neo of car #68.
And I think there is enough video footage to prove it. Like Lonman said, a silver GT2 won´t be overtaken. And he was not. He overtook everyone. Rain, dry, he didn´t care.

But there is one trophy I would give out: Hardest driver. No question, this belongs definetely to Kalbas and Remy. They overtook us 10 kilometers in front of Dubrovnik and I thought: Game over for us both. Unfortunately we didn´t film that. Awesome.:wroom:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its not a race its a RALLY!!

Join Kims Ultimate Rally for race.
You guys went there.. experienced it.. had fun.. alota fun according to the pics and videos.. so hell with who came 1st.. you guys all ROCK!!.. Alex homeboy.. GT2.. GT3.. peace!

Hovik

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PCP said:
Hi Alex,

thank you for the list, but there are a few things to be discussed.
You wrote it: You made the list by your best efforts.
But there are a few things you can never know during a Gumball.
And I think you forgot about a few cars that were really pushing it and were always in front of some cars you listed.
What about the red Maranello from Switzerland with the two spanish guys in it? What about the red 430 with the registration "40 ks" or something like that? I also can remember a Vanquish or DB9 always going very very fast.
For your information because you asked: The silver GT2 with #68, as known as our second car, came in first in KRKA. The red Maranello came in second. And both came in third and fourth in Prague.
About your 5th place in Taormina:
I was told by a guy at the ferry to Sicily that three cars had already passed. The black/orange SLR, Kalbas and Remy and a F430. If that was right, we (GT2 and GT3) came in 4th and 5th. Then came another F430 and then came Team Polizei.
You arrived in KRKA when we left. Maybe you remember, we changed a few words. But there were more than 10 cars who already had arrived there. I don´t know when they left Budapest and I don´t care. But we overtook a few cars that must had left Budapest before 7am. And that is the big question for me: Where from can one know when the single cars leave the checkpoints?
Regarding Dubrovnik: #68 came in second, we came in 4th or 5th, depends on the following: When the GT2 arrived they noticed (if i remember right) a 355. But they never saw this car on this day. Not during the leg and not in KRKA. So maybe the GT2 was first. But maybe the 355 was so goddamn fast that nobody noticed them. I don´t know that. Do you?

There are so many things that are unknown that it is impossible to put it in a list like you did.
And only because that there seems to be a problem with the black/orange SLR doesn´t mean that he doesn´t deserve a ranking in the top5. Don´t get me wrong, I don´t know him. I don´t know whether he is a nice guy or an *******. And I don´t care. He knows how to drive his car. And he knows to drive it very fast. That is the only thing I care about him. After all I don´t want to marry him.

If it is right that he didn´t stop to help some other Gumballers, he is very unfair and I totally agree with you and your opinion.

Cheers
Nils

Thanks so much for posting such a detailed response! I'll make any corrections as I can today and tomorrow. This is exactly the kind of information I wanted to see. Of course such a list can never be definitive (which is why it's labeled unofficial), so I'm relying on information like yours. Sightings and comments from people like yourself carry the most weight, because drivers like you are known for sportsmanlike behavior. We've run together and I've never known you to depart early and claim a high ranking spot. I think we can all agree that it was always an amusing mystery to see cars arrive early at checkpoints that would have had to exceed the laws of physics to get there so far ahead.

I'll be posting my full diary within 2 weeks, along with our GPS track files, for those who can read them using Garmin Mapsource software.

Creating such a list is, of course, controversial, and I expect to receive more comments like yours, but this is a good thing, and I hope to hear more like this. We've contacted multiple Gumball staff to corroborate early departures vs. arrivals, and getting this information is tough. They cannot publish it due to liability concerns.

I did my best to adjust for drivers who were delayed due to stopping to help others. I will immediately make the correction regarding Taormina, but the fact is there are excellent drivers in top cars that consistently left early to gain bragging rights, if not plotted outright, to delay other participants. Whether one considers this a rally or a race...I think we can all agree that's nothing to brag about. I will confess that I did post the police caution tape at the Messina port tol block traffic, but I hope we can all agree that this delayed everyone equally, and that I did not gain rankings as a result. I did gain 35 minutes, however...

Of course it's not a race, but there are groups of drivers who take it quite seriously - I myself witnessed some unbelievable driving (which I have on video) from multiple cars, which is why I'd love to hear your nominations for unofficial award categories and assemble that into a video archive in order to reward their efforts in our small community.

I love watching these videos as much as anyone, and one of these awards has to pertain to the video I'm watching of you and I running with Spencer and the civilian Silver Porsche Turbo in Italy, then getting pulled over en masse in Italy.

best,

Alex

·
Registered
181 Posts
polizieim5 said:
Thanks so much for posting such a detailed response! I'll make any corrections as I can today and tomorrow. This is exactly the kind of information I wanted to see. Of course such a list can never be definitive (which is why it's labeled unofficial), so I'm relying on information like yours. Sightings and comments from people like yourself carry the most weight, because drivers like you are known for sportsmanlike behavior. We've run together and I've never known you to depart early and claim a high ranking spot. I think we can all agree that it was always an amusing mystery to see cars arrive early at checkpoints that would have had to exceed the laws of physics to get there so far ahead.

I'll be posting my full diary within 2 weeks, along with our GPS track files, for those who can read them using Garmin Mapsource software.

Creating such a list is, of course, controversial, and I expect to receive more comments like yours, but this is a good thing, and I hope to hear more like this. We've contacted multiple Gumball staff to corroborate early departures vs. arrivals, and getting this information is tough. They cannot publish it due to liability concerns.

I did my best to adjust for drivers who were delayed due to stopping to help others. I will immediately make the correction regarding Taormina, but the fact is there are excellent drivers in top cars that consistently left early to gain bragging rights, if not plotted outright, to delay other participants. Whether one considers this a rally or a race...I think we can all agree that's nothing to brag about. I will confess that I did post the police caution tape at the Messina port tol block traffic, but I hope we can all agree that this delayed everyone equally, and that I did not gain rankings as a result. I did gain 35 minutes, however...

Of course it's not a race, but there are groups of drivers who take it quite seriously - I myself witnessed some unbelievable driving (which I have on video) from multiple cars, which is why I'd love to hear your nominations for unofficial award categories and assemble that into a video archive in order to reward their efforts in our small community.
Well written Alex. There is nothing more to say.

polizieim5 said:
I love watching these videos as much as anyone, and one of these awards has to pertain to the video I'm watching of you and I running with Spencer and the civilian Silver Porsche Turbo in Italy, then getting pulled over en masse in Italy.
Driving with you and the civilian turbo was really great fun and I think Nitro, who was driving at this moment, had also a lot of fun.
We played hide and seek with the cops behind a lorry.:hihi:
I thought they would impound the cars and put us in prison.
As I said, we have it on video. But at the moment I am creating a special Balaton Video which will be called "Holidays in Hungary". And the more footage I see the more I think that we are criminal.

Fortunately I don´t have children.

Should be online tomorrow or Friday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the more you tease us with those videos... the more criminal im becoming.. i mean i'd steal your videos from your house if you weren't 5000miles away:).. stealing from a criminal is not a sin, right? jkjk

·
Registered
46 Posts
What about cars in the back or the middle of the pack?
I think the standard of driving is equally good (i.e. crazy) wether you're up in the front or hours behind. 'Winning' all comes down to early starts, quick petrol stops and good navigation I think.
We (car n.05) had full breakfasts, late starts, and admired the scenery when it was worth it, so we were never really in the front. But on the single occasion when we got there (2nd or 3rd ferry to sicily), the driving we witnessed wasn't especially faster than what we'd seen before.
We came out of that ferry with Alex Roy, a grey F430 with yellow stripes, a red viper, and a couple of other cars, and had a very enjoyable drive (150mph throught bends and tunnels) to Taormina, quickly leaving everyone behind, chasing that F430, but it was nothing harder than what happens in the midfield.
To me the most fearless drivers were probably the DC guys in their Subarus. They obliterated the small roadworks flaps in southern italy (and destroyed their front lips in the process), and generally drove in a 'wolf pack' style that was highly impressive and threatening.

The good thing about starting late is that you get to see a lot of the other cars as you pass them (I think we passed that purple old Porsche and the red Countach every single day), and that the police are usually overwhelmed or bored by the time you reach them! :D

yorgo

·
Registered
119 Posts
le car said:
'Winning' all comes down to early starts, quick petrol stops and good navigation I think.
agree with that, only we have to make one exception, to Kimble, he doesn't win with quick petrol stops, good navigation, or early starts,... he wins with insane driving:confused3:1: Driving on the promanade for example hmmm

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
le car said:
What about cars in the back or the middle of the pack?
I think the standard of driving is equally good (i.e. crazy) wether you're up in the front or hours behind. 'Winning' all comes down to early starts, quick petrol stops and good navigation I think.
We (car n.05) had full breakfasts, late starts, and admired the scenery when it was worth it, so we were never really in the front. But on the single occasion when we got there (2nd or 3rd ferry to sicily), the driving we witnessed wasn't especially faster than what we'd seen before.
We came out of that ferry with Alex Roy, a grey F430 with yellow stripes, a red viper, and a couple of other cars, and had a very enjoyable drive (150mph throught bends and tunnels) to Taormina, quickly leaving everyone behind, chasing that F430, but it was nothing harder than what happens in the midfield.
To me the most fearless drivers were probably the DC guys in their Subarus. They obliterated the small roadworks flaps in southern italy (and destroyed their front lips in the process), and generally drove in a 'wolf pack' style that was highly impressive and threatening.

The good thing about starting late is that you get to see a lot of the other cars as you pass them (I think we passed that purple old Porsche and the red Countach every single day), and that the police are usually overwhelmed or bored by the time you reach them! :D

yorgo
Yorgo-

I quite agree with you - for two years I enjoyed driving mid-pack, shooting video, meeting the other drivers at every stop and doing general sightseeing, but it must be said that there is something absolutely exhilarating about driving at 9/10ths for 8+ hours, running through gas stations for <3 minute gas station stops and committing oneself to pushing just a little harder in both driving and navigation. Doing this not just for 15 minutes, or 1 hour, or even 3 hours, but all day, every day, against a handful of similarly minded drivers for no reason other than the desire to take it to 11, stopped (maybe) only by a sense (at least in our case) of civic responsibility.

Team Polizei was last off the boat in Bari, and passed 95+? cars on the way to Taormina - that took some work. One of the funniest bits was our in-car observations of how leisurely so many supercar drivers were, but the best was joining the lead group of cars on the mountainous road between Messina and Taormina, and watching Yorgo (in a Nissan 350Z) annihilate all but one Ferrari driver. This wasn't straight line acceleration, but true driving skill. It proves that the driver is more important than the car, and why Michael Shumacher calls racing "the art of turning." Team Polizei had to use the lights and sirens to go through a red light in town in order to pass these madmen.

Someone should stop them.

Best,
Alex

·
Registered
22 Posts
alex,

"and watching Yorgo (in a Nissan 350Z) annihilate all but one Ferrari driver."

the driver of the blue 355? have you got the film of me passing you though a parking area on the windy road up to taormina? my co pilot did not speak to me for a couple of hours after that... i had to change my pants the second we got there.

·
Banned
233 Posts
Hi Alex,

I have a nomination for the prize for the Best Diplomat on Gumball:Me hiha .
Number of contenders elligable for this illustrious award = 1

I also claim the prize for the greatest number of telling local policemen to "go away" and getting away with it :haha2:

Further more, I nominate Mussy for:
"Fastest to fall asleep when drunk" and
"Most drunk on two beers", but best of all the
"Biggest Lie to a Policeman and Getting Away With It", namely telling the French rozzers that pulled us over that our laser jammers were in fact parking sensors (they even asked each other why they were only on the front of the car and not the back).:haha: (for those who dont know, fine for possession of a detector is EUR750. If it is plugged in and working, then EUR 1,500. I dont want to think how expensive a penalty a jammer attracts :byee55amg

h-bo said:
alex,

the driver of the blue 355? have you got the film of me passing you though a parking area on the windy road up to taormina? my co pilot did not speak to me for a couple of hours after that... i had to change my pants the second we got there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
polizieim5 said:
Yorgo-

I quite agree with you - for two years I enjoyed driving mid-pack, shooting video, meeting the other drivers at every stop and doing general sightseeing, but it must be said that there is something absolutely exhilarating about driving at 9/10ths for 8+ hours, running through gas stations for <3 minute gas station stops and committing oneself to pushing just a little harder in both driving and navigation. Doing this not just for 15 minutes, or 1 hour, or even 3 hours, but all day, every day, against a handful of similarly minded drivers for no reason other than the desire to take it to 11, stopped (maybe) only by a sense (at least in our case) of civic responsibility.

Team Polizei was last off the boat in Bari, and passed 95+? cars on the way to Taormina - that took some work. One of the funniest bits was our in-car observations of how leisurely so many supercar drivers were, but the best was joining the lead group of cars on the mountainous road between Messina and Taormina, and watching Yorgo (in a Nissan 350Z) annihilate all but one Ferrari driver. This wasn't straight line acceleration, but true driving skill. It proves that the driver is more important than the car, and why Michael Shumacher calls racing "the art of turning." Team Polizei had to use the lights and sirens to go through a red light in town in order to pass these madmen.

Someone should stop them.

Best,
Alex

Thanks for the props Alex! We did have a quite intense chase I must admit, pure adrenaline! I was surprised during the whole Gumball at how dammmn good that Nissan was, we were on the tail of pretty much everyone, and left many cars worth 6 times the price disapearing in our rear-view mirror!!
I remember that at one point during that chase we caught up with a 355 (blue?) who had probably come out of the previous ferry, and that he continued playing around with us until the Taormina toll, where Karta's limited mobility combined with my poor car placement (too far from the ticket machine) made us loose all the advance we had :D

After that moment I did realise how thrilling the whole thing can be if you consider it like a 'race'. But it's not really for me, and I'm not ready to make the sacrifices needed (giving up a few hours of sleep, missing the good toasted sandwiches in the Autogrill stations, etc...)

Speaking of strategy, when we arrived in Bari we went straight to the Autostrada office and tried to buy an Telepass (some electronic device that allows you not to stop at toll booths), but were told that we needed an Italian bank account or something...
So we gave up.. But later (after Rome), as we were convoying with Jodie Kidd amongst others, she told us to follow her as she had one of these Telepasses (too late to change lanes unfortunately, so we saw her barely slow down to pass the booth!). Any idea how she got this? Did anyone else have one?

yorgo

·
Registered
47 Posts
PCP said:
And I think there is enough video footage to prove it. Like Lonman said, a silver GT2 won´t be overtaken. And he was not. He overtook everyone. Rain, dry, he didn´t care.

But there is one trophy I would give out: Hardest driver. No question, this belongs definetely to Kalbas and Remy. They overtook us 10 kilometers in front of Dubrovnik and I thought: Game over for us both. Unfortunately we didn´t film that. Awesome.:wroom:
Excuse me for spoiling your quote, but I was driving a blue Porshe Turbo S (car # 112) and I have not been overtaken by the grey Porsche GT2. We drove a while together in Hungary. I overtook the frey GT2 (with Swiss license plates) and then he joined me for several kilometers. Unfortunately I had to stop fo refuel after a while.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Manten said:
I overtook the frey GT2 (with Swiss license plates) and then he joined me for several kilometers. Unfortunately I had to stop fo refuel after a while.
Lucky guy.:wroom:

I think we made a few kilometers in Italy on the way to Rome. Time to create a few videos.:typing:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
h-bo said:
alex,

I haven't finished going through all the video, but if I have that you better believe it'll be on the site. Yes, that was a good one!

best,
Alex
_______

1 - 20 of 34 Posts