BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

841 - 860 of 863 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys, I may have some good news for you! I've searched everywhere under the sun for a set of affordable muffles tips with same specs as Timmay's tips and finally found a source.

1320 Performance Blastpipes blast pipe exhaust STAINLESS UNIVERSAL MUFFLER V5&V6 | eBay

My muffler tips already came in and if anyone is interested then I can try to post some pics for you guys. Overall, I am pretty happy with the quality.

I am not affiliated with the seller in any way.

These look great. Please post pics when you get them on!

·
Registered
31 Posts
For Sale: Rare BMW E39 M5 Timmy Tips made by Timmay. I bought these from a M5 board member, brand new condition but blew the S62 engine and am done with BMW's for awhile. These are the stuff legends are made of. The absolute best modification for an E39 M5 is, in my humble opinion, a muffler delete with these tips! No drone, just an insane sound under acceleration!
Just looking to get my $400 back.
$400 including shipping to the lower 48.

·
Registered
910 Posts
For Sale: Rare BMW E39 M5 Timmy Tips made by Timmay. I bought these from a M5 board member, brand new condition but blew the S62 engine and am done with BMW's for awhile. These are the stuff legends are made of. The absolute best modification for an E39 M5 is, in my humble opinion, a muffler delete with these tips! No drone, just an insane sound under acceleration!
Do tell how you blew your S62 please... just curious.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ran it with a herd of Ferrari's, after 10 laps or so, it overheated. Shreds of metal in the oil the next day. The prior owner used Royal Purple 5w30... I don't know why. I suspect the oil. I'm a believer in Liquid Moly 10w60 only...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
New M5 owner and I'm interested, but also new to this board. Are these still available? I'm not yet able to PM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys, I may have some good news for you! I've searched everywhere under the sun for a set of affordable muffles tips with same specs as Timmay's tips and finally found a source.

My muffler tips already came in and if anyone is interested then I can try to post some pics for you guys. Overall, I am pretty happy with the quality.

I am not affiliated with the seller in any way.
Hey- i know its old but you never commented on the quality and fitment of the tips. Can you chime in? thanks!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ran it with a herd of Ferrari's, after 10 laps or so, it overheated. Shreds of metal in the oil the next day. The prior owner used Royal Purple 5w30... I don't know why. I suspect the oil. I'm a believer in Liquid Moly 10w60 only...
Hmmm why the black side skirts? Did you plasti dip them to protect the paint from the racing event?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bump.

What a great thread, and thank you all for the excellent information as i evaluate taking action with the muffler delete. My question is after reading ALL responses/experiences.. drone vs. no drone... to loud vs not.. - is there a tip, preferrably 2.5inlet to 3in out- that has been viewed as the best option to eliminate the feared "drone" and is on the "quieter" side? Again, the opportunity to read and hear your experiences is greatly appreciated. Thank you for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bump.

What a great thread, and thank you all for the excellent information as i evaluate taking action with the muffler delete. My question is after reading ALL responses/experiences.. drone vs. no drone... to loud vs not.. - is there a tip, preferrably 2.5inlet to 3in out- that has been viewed as the best option to eliminate the feared "drone" and is on the "quieter" side? Again, the opportunity to read and hear your experiences is greatly appreciated. Thank you for any advice you can give.

As long as you leave in the resonators, you shouldn't experience drone. I use a Summit racing dual tip, I believe 2.5>3". With the mufflers gone, the car will be louder when you start it cold for the first 30 seconds. It will idle quietly, and is quite well-mannered around town. When you put your foot down it will be LOUD.

Don't wait, do it! Then you can decide what to do with those cans-mine are still sitting in the garage!

·
Registered
6 Posts
As long as you leave in the resonators, you shouldn't experience drone. I use a Summit racing dual tip, I believe 2.5>3". With the mufflers gone, the car will be louder when you start it cold for the first 30 seconds. It will idle quietly, and is quite well-mannered around town. When you put your foot down it will be LOUD.

Don't wait, do it! Then you can decide what to do with those cans-mine are still sitting in the garage!
Haha yes! Just the response I was looking for. Thanks man. Ordering shortly!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
UPDATE: well, I did it. I harnessed the courage after reading everything i could come across regarding the feedback/videos of those who have done this mod- and let me say for the last 3 weeks, i have not turned my radio on once... and i love music. its just the sound this S62 has been awoken to, is just unmatched- perhaps it will ware off... but not anytime soon.

I believe that there are certain specs that may strongly influence the overall outcome of sound/experience- such as quality of work, type of piping used, type of tips selected, straight cut vs non- double walled vs not...ect. I wanted a stock look- so I went with 3in tips that were straight cut, and staggered. being that i live in a more retired neighborhood, although i am turning 40 this year- no where near retirement, but DID NOT want to be the obnoxious muffler guy... AT ANY POINT. I could not be more pleased, and it sounds absolutely glorious- the thumbs up, and other drivers reactions have been nothing but positive. Link to cold start vid:

·
Registered
29 Posts
UPDATE: well, I did it. I harnessed the courage after reading everything i could come across regarding the feedback/videos of those who have done this mod- and let me say for the last 3 weeks, i have not turned my radio on once... and i love music. its just the sound this S62 has been awoken to, is just unmatched- perhaps it will ware off... but not anytime soon.

I believe that there are certain specs that may strongly influence the overall outcome of sound/experience- such as quality of work, type of piping used, type of tips selected, straight cut vs non- double walled vs not...ect. I wanted a stock look- so I went with 3in tips that were straight cut, and staggered. being that i live in a more retired neighborhood, although i am turning 40 this year- no where near retirement, but DID NOT want to be the obnoxious muffler guy... AT ANY POINT. I could not be more pleased, and it sounds absolutely glorious- the thumbs up, and other drivers reactions have been nothing but positive. Link to cold start vid:

View attachment 939512
View attachment 939513
View attachment 939514
Nice man! Been on the fence about this myself. Do you have more pictures of the tips? Where did you source them?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm sad to say, as fun as it' been, I find myself having to add some kind of muffler.
Mine has both muffler and cat delete. The crackle pitch at 2800 rpm (cruising speed) can be a bit much. I have knowledge that leaving the cats in makes thing slightly quieter.
Now to find the appropriate muffler. Straight through, just enough to mute the tone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice man! Been on the fence about this myself. Do you have more pictures of the tips? Where did you source them?

Thanks and yea, I entered into this idea really hesitant- and really with expectations of i would revert back due to "overwhelming", annoying sound when i don't want her to say "immabadbich..." as we travel amongst our way. Specifically around town, neighborhoods, but dude, am i pleased i just tried it- personally, this is how the design should have been- its perfection, really transformed the driving experience to an entirely new plane.

And like i mention, im sure there are factors like quality of work/piping/detail of tips....etc. But for me, this is the best $202.67 ive ever spent (y). Here's the link- and my shop charged me just under a $100 for the install. 3in tips Also, in looking at the link, appears the seller "has updated the listing", my shipping was free:

841 - 860 of 863 Posts