BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 863 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would just start a thread to answer any and all questions about the straight pipes/muffler delete mod.

Muffler delete - to remove the 4 OEM mufflers and replace them with a section of pipe, then use exhaust tips to finish it off. Some people choose to remove the stock resonator and some choose to leave it intact.

REMOVING THE STOCK RESONATOR WILL CREATE A DRONE. Let me say this again, if you remove the stock resonator, the car will be VERY loud and will drone at lower RPM's.

LEAVING THE RESONATOR IN THE SYSTEM WILL KEEP THE SYSTEM TAME EVEN WITH THE MUFFLERS REMOVED. If you remove the mufflers, but leave the stock resonators in place will open up the exhaust to have a very throaty, V8 power sound without being annoying at cruising speeds.

Straight Pipes - a lot people use this term, even myself, when referring to the muffler delete mod. As Diny pointed out in another thread, a true "straight pipe" system, it would have straight pipes from the headers back removing the cats, resonators, and mufflers.

Here are a few pictures of some muffler deleted cars.

4.You can see in this picture the stock resonator box is still intact sitting IN FRONT of the differential.

5. A very good example of before and after.

6.Here you can see the stock set up with the stock resonator.

Here are a few videos of the car WITH THE RESONATORS STILL INSTALLED. (Thank you JCM55555)

Casual driving:

Hard pull (up-hill):

3rd and 4th WOT:

<object height="385" width="640">

</object>Here are some videos with the RESONATORS REMOVED...... (Thank you M55555)

First Rev = 2.5K RPM
Second Rev = 4.0K RPM
Third Rev = blip to 3.0K RPM

[watch in HD for best quality]

Normal driving from 0 to 60mph, shifting around 3.5k rpm, then cruising at 60mph. Windows down.

2nd gear pull, windows down, DSC on ouich

First half of video is normal driving with windows UP.

Second half (when you hear the blinkers) is WOT with windows DOWN.

Cruising at 60 MPH, windows down

Warm engine idle

[you know how to watch it
]

50-60 MPH cruise with windows UP, 6th gear

Straight pipes from resonator.

Here are some videos I made with my resonators STILL ON and my mufflers removed.....

<object height="385" width="640"> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pePH92ZkGvI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Thanks Tim.

Nobody should have any reservations about doing this modification (muffler delete) because you will most certainly be pleased with the sound and; if you're not the process is easily reversed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
So the question is...do they drone?!??! Cause I don't want drone!!111one

Hahah just kidding. Thanks for the thread! Hope this question never gets asked again.

Interestingly enough, I've been having trouble finding shops in the DC area who will perform a muffler delete. A Midas tried to tell me that it's illegal under EPA rules(riiiight), another one flat out refused. Both referred me to various custom exhaust shops. Funny but I don't see this as a true custom exhaust job. But whatever. I need to source tips and then get this done. Can't wait!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
It's about time this gets added with the influx of straight pipe questions as of late. Thanks Timmay!

Permission to link to this thread to every "straight pipe" thread going forward.

;)

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I thought Timmay wasn't making them anymore which is why I asked.
He quit for a bit due to some pressure at work. He's started back up again but cant make them as fast as he was. If you have patience he can get to you and make you a set as well.

If I didnt get such a screamin deal and love the sound of my Dinan's so much, I would have a set too.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I just figure with all of the question threads lately and with the increased amount of emails and PM's I've been getting lately, I might as well get some information together so we can just link this thread if it ever arises again.

·
Registered
581 Posts
NogginM5Beast, Mister2d,

I know a muffler shop in VA the will do anything you want, I got my done in about two hours and the sound is incredible, I have muffer delete only I kep cats and resonator on my car is picture #3. PM if you guys want me to provide you the info and/or meet so you guys can hear how my Beast sounds.

here is a link to a video of my Beast on cold start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF4LoJyBiMc<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

also a picture of the Beast after New tips were installed

lanza360

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does the muffler delete effect the tuning? Do you need a re-tuen?
No.

There isn't a muffler swap that DOES effect tuning. You get absolutely no gain from swapping out JUST the mufflers. Now, changing headers, cats, AND a new muffler system, then yes, you will need some tuning.

·
Registered
208 Posts
NogginM5Beast, Mister2d,

I know a muffler shop in VA the will do anything you want, I got my done in about two hours and the sound is incredible, <snip>

lanza360
So Lanza, just got my set of Timmay's Tips in the mail today. I'm eying a couple of shops near Springfield, but which muffler shop did you have yours done at?</snip>

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here are a couple more sound clips. It sounds good over YouTube but to be completely honest, it's ten times better when you're really there. :)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Here are a couple more sound clips. It sounds good over YouTube but to be completely honest, it's ten times better when you're really there. :)

Jshep....lets meet up soon and make some noise. Some tandem GoPro video tunnel blasts through the I-90 tunnels would be very educational and pertinent to this thread :grinyes:

p.s. I thought your beast was white?

1 - 20 of 863 Posts