BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other words, how many Carbon Blacks vs. Imola Reds, etc.? I wonder if BMW ever kept and released official score? If owner’s gallery is any indication, the ranking goes like this:
  1. Carbon Black
  2. LeMans Blue
  3. Titanium Silver
  4. Jet Black
Not counting Individual of course, it seems the rarest are:
  1. Royal Red
  2. Oxford Green
  3. Sterling Grey
Actual numbers would be intersting to know though.

http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=501

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
No doubt build records of M5 units and associated color/interior combinations exists somewhere in BMW corporate records. A call or letter to BMWNA might help fish out the info. Didn't we do a poll on colors here? Multiplying these percentages by the total units built might give a reasonable estimate.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MINENCE said:
Those are just the number of photos. By no indication the number of cars.
Yup, I didn't take the number of uploaded photos to be the actual number of cars.

Given that this Board has quite a good, and statistically significant, number of members, I believe the 'law of large numbers' would apply here, in other words, gives a good enough approximation which are the most dominant/abundant colors (CB, LMB), and which aren't (RR, OG).

If there ever was a poll (doing a search for it now), than that would be even more meaningful, but I have yet to see any official data from BMW GmbH - that is what I am ultimately interested and curious to find out.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
blue max said:
The Unofficial tally based on the members who responded to the thread on the M5 Board.com :byee55amg

Where is sterling gray? Is this graph only pre-2002 or perhaps SG was lumped with anthracite?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting indeed. I realize these are not actual official manufacturer's statistics, but considering the sample size (200 respondents), it is probably a pretty good inication of the actual distribution.

So it seems that close to 50% of Beasts come in 2 colors (TS and CB), and 4 colors account for 67% (TS, CB, JB, and LMB). Thought it would be more evenly distributed among more colors...

·
Registered
612 Posts
I also would like to know the actual numbers by color (by year too if possible.) But it looks like this info isn't known to Board Members (I also did multiple searches in the historical records of this forum.) Those that have the contacts, please keep looking!! Thank you.

In the mean time, we'll just use the survey results as a rough number.

·
Registered
341 Posts
cosioboy said:
In other words, how many Carbon Blacks vs. Imola Reds, etc.? I wonder if BMW ever kept and released official score? If owner’s gallery is any indication, the ranking goes like this:
  1. Carbon Black
  2. LeMans Blue
  3. Titanium Silver
  4. Jet Black
Not counting Individual of course, it seems the rarest are:
  1. Royal Red
  2. Oxford Green
  3. Sterling Grey
Actual numbers would be intersting to know though.

http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=501
What about Velvet Blue Metallic? Is that a rare color as well?

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Velvet Blue is very rare. It is Individual and I am pretty sure there is less than three (or only one) in the whole USA.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gustav said:
Velvet Blue is very rare. It is Individual and I am pretty sure there is less than three (or only one) in the whole USA.
Likewise for the Dakar Yellow - likely 1 or 2 in the US...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Gustav said:
Gustav,

Would the dealeship have this information available?

Thanks,
Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts