BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the first official photo of the new BMW Alpina B5:

As we predicted it will have the same 500 bhp supercharged 4,4-litre V8 engine as the B7. It will have a 6-speed Switch-tronic gearbox but we can always hope it will be available with manual-gearbox later. 0-100 km/h in 4,7 seconds and a top-speed of 300 km/h. Don´t know if it´s limited to this speed. It will be introduced in Geneva March 2005.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Thanks. It doesn't look very stealthy compared to previous Alpinas - the front end seems a bit too "heavy" with that large air dam.

I'm looking forward to B5 vs. M5 comparison.

·
Registered
853 Posts
That looks good! But...it doesn't have the visual drama of the M5. I guess that's the way Alpina wanted it. I've always been a fan of Alpinas.

Ashok Arora said:
Thanks. It doesn't look very stealthy compared to previous Alpinas - the front end seems a bit too "heavy" with that large air dam.

I'm looking forward to B5 vs. M5 comparison.
Ashok, usually the Alpina decals are an option. I'm guessing without all those decals, it'll be much more stealthy.

Millie

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Coo Coo!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Too suttle for me and the front air dam does not look right. Great sleeper though.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Im alone in actually preferring the aftermarket stripes,it draws your attention away fromn what i consider the fundamental design flaws in the 5 series,(I like the front,i like the back but from the side..oh dear).
That is going to be a beast ,if Alpina do their usual good job that will be sensational.Saying that they don't half depreciate.
Are they doing a 6 ?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I love the stripes!

I think it is a beautiful car, and will be a great competitor to the m5.

all the best
adam

·
Registered
40 Posts
hrmm

I like the front air dam, but not the double layer splitter under it. somehow i think that car needs to be in shadowline trim with black grills, chrome just doens't seem to work on it.

call me crazy, but I think a black plastic side molding and black plastic door handles will help the profile view of the E60. without those, the side looks really.. fat

·
Registered
703 Posts
me like, but loose the stripes and not sure about the wheels yet, prefer the ones on the M5 so far.
Will this car be available in Europe only or will is make it to the USA?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Gustav said:
Im afraid it wont be avail. in the USA.
To be honest (and i'm not trying to pick a fight) I think it's good it's not avaliliable in the US.

Alpina makes arround 500 cars a year selling mostly to germany, prob also GB and france. This makes then a small operation and is fundamental to the alpina caracter in my view. If they had to supply the american market they would need to produce much more cars, if to satisfy even half the demand. They would make a lot more money, but i think they would have to make more cars than rolls, bentley and lambo (if i'm not mistaken each of these produces between 1k-2k a year - cars, of course...).

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
desualt said:
me like, but loose the stripes and not sure about the wheels yet, prefer the ones on the M5 so far.
Will this car be available in Europe only or will is make it to the USA?
Alpina wheels are the best looking wheels on the market next to the BBS LM's IMO.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Gustav said:
Im afraid it wont be avail. in the USA.
Aww too bad.. but Aplina Z8s made it over the pond... LOL probably because with 500 they couldnt sell them all over in Europe so to get rid of them send it over to the US! :hihi:

·
Registered
703 Posts
jos said:
Alpina wheels are the best looking wheels on the market next to the BBS LM's IMO.
personal taste is not questionable, I prefer the ones on the new M5, IMO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts