BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the first official photo of the new BMW Alpina B5:

As we predicted it will have the same 500 bhp supercharged 4,4-litre V8 engine as the B7. It will have a 6-speed Switch-tronic gearbox but we can always hope it will be available with manual-gearbox later. 0-100 km/h in 4,7 seconds and a top-speed of 300 km/h. Don´t know if it´s limited to this speed. It will be introduced in Geneva March 2005.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That is a great looking car. I may even like it more than the M5. :)

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
That will be an awesome car. M5 (+) performance in a car where you can have the choise of Touring or manual gears kinggf

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Its looks and specs definately make it a M5 competitor. I'm curious to see how the battle develops? For the last decade, Alpina cars had been (what seemed to be deliberately) slower than their ///M siblings. The new B5 seems to eliminate the gap for almost all practical purposes. Is the long time partnership over?

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
The Parntership is not over but Alpiina is coming back ot its roots with a car that has around the same amount of HP but alot more torque!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My gut feeling is Alpina always wanted to do that but BMW did not let them not to challenge their ///M cars and probably threatened by cutting the advance technical information Alpina enjoyed over other tuner/small manufacturers. Then, I might be dreaming things. :blabla:

·
2,941 Posts
Look it from another side: If the B5 offers the same qualities as the AMG E55AMG, then BMW and Alpina have created a win-win situation. The B5 will attract a new group of customers for whom the ///M5 is just to sportive or to 'raw', but don't want to compromise on performance.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Also true.But marketing and following your heart are two different things.As has been said,......compromises.

Please Alpina,make it real fast grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
raymond woertman said:
Look it from another side: If the B5 offers the same qualities as the AMG E55AMG, then BMW and Alpina have created a win-win situation. The B5 will attract a new group of customers for whom the ///M5 is just to sportive or to 'raw', but don't want to compromise on performance.

Spot on raymond,

I dont think this car will affect m5 sales, however sales of the e55 will be hit probably,

This is a great car and will certainly give the m5 a run for its money :M5launch:

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Adam said:
Spot on raymond,

I dont think this car will affect m5 sales, however sales of the e55 will be hit probably,

This is a great car and will certainly give the m5 a run for its money :M5launch:

Agreed. Looks stunningly simple.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Dirim said:
My gut feeling is Alpina always wanted to do that but BMW did not let them not to challenge their ///M cars and probably threatened by cutting the advance technical information Alpina enjoyed over other tuner/small manufacturers. Then, I might be dreaming things. :blabla:
Agree - If I am correct Alpina is getting the engine from BMW and then modifing it.

Sad 2 say but I dont think that Alpina would throw that overboard with making a car thats faster etc. than the BMW top of the line....

JM2C

1 - 18 of 18 Posts