BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought i would post my build here. The story goes like this. About a month ago my M5 got totaled because some idiot thought it would be a good idea to run a red light and hit me... About a couple weeks later I ended up buying one of my favorite cars, a z3 m coupe. That same week i managed to buy my car back from the insurance company. Last week i had a light bulb go on. As much as the z3 m coupe is hella fun to drive with the s52 engine i do miss my straight pipes that i had on the m5 and the power that the engine made. My original plan for the car was to turbo it an call it a day. But here came the thought. Has anyone done a documented z3 m coupe s62 build? From research online i only found the hartge z3 which still only used the m62 engine and a video on youtube of a race car z3 with the s62. I thought to myself, i have an perfect s62 sitting around (luckily the engine and drivetrain wasnt damaged during the crash) with a brand new transmission that was put in 3 months ago (old one got stuck in 3rd gear, thank you warranty:grinyes:) why not do the build. It would be a match made in heaven. So ladies and gentlemen here is my build. I will try to update it day by day with pictures and videos. So enjoy.

Here are some pics from last friday (day before official start of the build)
:

Here is my totaled m5. Prepare your eyes

Pics From Saturday (Official start date of the build)

My car was sitting behind my friends shop until saturday. Since they bought an extension literally across the street and its still in the works, we put my car into one of the empty bays there so it can be taken apart of everything not needed so the engine and trans would be easy to take out. We got mostly everything out of the way as you will see from the photos.

Hoisting the front of the car to the tractor so that we can move it. That is my friend John and his dad who own the body shop. Thanks to them for the space they allowed me to use

The final resting place for the m5.

Now the fun begins by tearing everything apart.

My friend John sitting on my tire lol Keep in mind everyone that Im Russian and all of my friends helping me with the build are Greek. So we tend to do some funny/stupid/crazy **** haha. Here is a vid of my buddy Pete who smashes his head against the front window to mark the official start of the build haha

The aftermath of Pete smashing his head against the front window lol

My friends helping me out (going from the left: Manoli, Pete, John)

And me in the white shirt. (yes I'm young, only 18 lol)

Us being idiots infront of the camera. Youll get a lot of that haha.

Front Part: Radiator, Hoses, ABS, thermostat, front bumper rail all that good stuff has been removed. So its just the engine now.

And we are done for the day

Afterwards we all went for a nice cruise given the sunny day we had today. John owns a e39 m5 as well and Pete has a turbo e30 m3. So enjoy the pics:

Stay tuned for more...:grinyes:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Nice build but I am curious how an 18 year old afford an E39 M5, totals it, and affords buying back the M5 + a Z3 M coupe.

Should be a nice build regardless, even if your friends seem to be missing a few screws. Fitment isnt going to be the issue, S62s/LSxs fit in E36 chassis cars all the time, getting it to wire up will be the issue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice build but I am curious how an 18 year old afford an E39 M5, totals it, and affords buying back the M5 + a Z3 M coupe.

Should be a nice build regardless, even if your friends seem to be missing a few screws. Fitment isnt going to be the issue, S62s/LSxs fit in E36 chassis cars all the time, getting it to wire up will be the issue.
Haha i do get that a lot. Most kids my age get there cars since their parents bought it for them etc... I afforded my m5 thanks to my oldest brother. He managed to score me a great job at the restaurant he worked at valeting cars. So i financed the m5 and have been paying monthly etc so that was that. The insurance company gave me a ton of money for the m5 once it got totaled and with part of that money i bought the z3. I asked the insurance company how much the buy back would be for the m5 because i wasnt gonna allow that car to go lol. They said 4gs and I said done deal. I'm going to BMW tomorrow to talk to one of the techs to see if it is possible to transfer over the data from the ecu of the m5 to write over the ecu of the z3 m. That way wiring wont be too difficult. Also im sure people at the computer are probably questioning that I even work on cars given my age but i have been for the last 3 years and have learned a lot and have done a good amount of builds with my friends.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I must subscribe! This is gonna be good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
good luck with the build!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Subscribed !!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
good luck man, two of my favorite cars blended together. I have participated in a few S52 E30 swaps, and judging by the few cars out there that have done this swap (Hartge, S62 racer and maybe to M62 ACS Roadster) looks like it will be a good challenge for you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Good luck bro, looking forward to the progress and payoff!

·
Registered
223 Posts
This looks like it is going to be fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks like it will be a sweet build. I have one question though. What type of tires are on the Mcoupe? And do you like them?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like it will be a sweet build. I have one question though. What type of tires are on the Mcoupe? And do you like them?
Thank you, the tires are: goodrich kdw 2. They are fantastic tires and grip amazingly. If you dont want to spend a arm and leg for ps2's this is the solution.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts