BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on here for 8 months, so I think it's time I offically introduce myself lol. I'm Mark. Joined the M5board back in September. Meant to do this back then, but have been busy with so much with work, car, life etc. While I'm new to the M5, I'm not new to the E39 platform.

In mid July 2013, I bought my first BMW. A 2002 540i sedan. Two previous owners, black on black with 91k miles. Sports package, rear sunshades, DSP, folding rear seats, and best of all, a 6-speed manual! Car spent it's entire life in California so there was no worries about rust.

Did a ton of preventative work on the car such as timing chain guides, cooling and suspension overhauls. Drove like a dream after it was all done. Added the M5's illuminated shifter knob, euro armrest, AUX input and M-subs with Bavsound stage 1 kit for the DSP.

Sadly I barely had the car for two years. End of July of 2015 I was out for a drive way out in the backroads and hit a rock the size of a basketball at 50mph! Rock was so perfectly blended into the road with the lighting at the time of day I didn't see it until it was too late. Hit it with the drivers front wheel. Popped the tire, destroyed the rim and shock, partially mushroomed the strut mount. Hit the rocker panel leaving a massive dent and set off the side airbags. Amazingly the car still ran, so I managed to swap the full size spare on and nurse it to a place to call a tow home.

Not surprisingly it was totaled. I pulled the parts I bought such as the euro armrest, m-subs, bavsound speakers, illuminated shifter and other stuff before insurance took it. Wasn't going to let some sleazy junkyard profit from my loss. Was so bummed, but swore one day I'd get another E39.

Well 4 years later in September, I finally got one! A 2003 Carbon Black M5. Had 101k miles on it at the time. Now has over 106k miles. Spent most of it's life in Florida, then about two years in Wisconsin before I acquired it. Serivice history had a lot but wasn't very detailed an sadly no owners booklets. Also sadly it doesn't have the original wheels. It has TSW Thruxtons for wheels and they aren't bad. Just not a big fan of them on this car. Of course it doesn't help they aren't in good condition.

Since buying the car, I've done a lot of work as listed below:

Had split leather on upper dash pad repaired

New blower motor and resistor.

Rebuilt headlights with Morimoto Evox-R 2.0 projectors, Morimoto 4500k bulbs, new Odometer Gears adjusters, new gaskets, Stealth Auto stealth bulbs and euro style clear corners.

Replaced super worn out drivers bottom seat foam.

Stealth Auto stealth bulbs for rear turn signals and side marker lights.

Replaced badly cracked center console wood trim with a piece from another junkyard car.

New drivers door lock actuator and a used latch assembly.

Replaced drivers door glass because I'm a dumbass...long story short, don't lock the only key for the car IN the car with no spare and the battery disconnected (facepalm).

New fuel pump, fuel filter and pressure regulator.

New coolant expansion tank and cap along with thermostat, coolant temperature sensor, and those pesky o-rings for the thermostat housing coolant pipes.

New NGK BKR6EQUP spark plugs

New timing chain tensioner.

New Bremi ignition coils, got from FCP. So if they crap out, lifetime warranty covers it.

Brand new unused Bavsound stage 1 speakers and M-subs from a co-workers dad for $400 that was supposed to be for his old 540i but was written off few years ago. Sadly the ones I kept from my old 540i were destroyed by mice in late 2018 . And more annoyingly I recently blew the m-subs they just sold me...D'OH!!

Replaced cracked wooden dash trim on the left and right of steering wheel with used units. New ones are on order at this time.

New wiper blades of course .

New air and cabin filters.

New pre and post cat 02 sensors.

New mass air flow sensors.

ECS Ziza interior LED lighting kit.

New mounts for the power steering resevoir and oil filter housings.

New hood and trunk struts.

Changed diff fluid Mobil 1 75w-140 with new plugs.

Changed trans fluid with Royal Purple Synchromax.

New throttle position sensors.

Replaced fuel rail with excellent condition used unit because the original hose for it was badly chaffed and was a fire hazard waiting to happen

New fuel injector o-rings.

Replaced all 4 camshaft position sensors. Bank 1 sensors were fiddly, but not bad. Bank 2 sensors can go F**K themselves!

New brake booster vacuum hose.

New fuel breather valve.

New Vanos O-rings and solenoid solder repair.

New fuel door actuator with new bowden cable.

Repaired trunk harness wiring.

Replaced DSP amp with another unit.

New nav screen from Bimmernav.

New license plate lights.

New sunroof seal.

New kidney grills for the hood.

New negative battery cable

New Autocraft Platinum AGM battery from Advance Auto.

Replaced third brake light housing with a good condition used one.

Replaced C-pillars with excellent condition used ones.

Lastly my seat twist was so bad I just ended up replacing the cables. YES that's right, I tore down both seats to replace them. Took awhile, but totally worth it. Also had to replace the frame for the drivers seat backrest, because it was badly warped from the twisting. Got a good used one from a '98 740i that had sports seats, have yet to swap it in.

I did take pictures and notes for a DIY. But I feel like it would be too long. It is a VERY involved job. I could make it shorter if I just make it about replacing the cables and ignoring the seat removal and teardown process. Would that be better? What do you guys think?

Still plenty of work to go, but so happy to have another E39. Lastly quick shout out and thanks to Clemster, DouglasABaker, and Mishkinm5 for the excellent parts they sent me. You guys are awesome!

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does shifting feel better after changing the trans fluid to RP Synchromax MTF? Also did you notice any difference replacing all 4 CPS?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does shifting feel better after changing the trans fluid to RP Synchromax MTF? Also did you notice any difference replacing all 4 CPS?
Shifting is smoother and quieter compared to the old original "lifetime" fluid. Still has original shifter with worn bushings though. I plan on swapping in the E60 short shift with UUC Shear rod selector with new shift bushings in the coming month or so.

Couldn't quite for sure say the CPS made a difference alone. Because I also replaced all 4 02 sensors, both throttle position sensors and MAF's, Fuel breather valve and new air filters at the same time. Regardless, the car runs better and now gets better fuel economy. I mean its not great, like 16 or 17mpg city depending on traffic. But better than the 13 I was averaging before lol. All 4 of my CPS were all original from Sept 2002, so I did it as preventative. I got the VNE brand from FCP. Royal pain, but worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hi Nfs021,

Nice writeup there and looks like you've been busy in amongst your forum posts with the car ! All good though as seems to be coming together for you very nicely indeed!

Those wheels do need to go though! Please put a much nicer looking set on ! ;)

You seem able and capable of doing plenty of work yourself which is great - I can't and don't have the space/time to do similar. You'll save a good amount of cash by DIY so you can look for nice upgrades with those savings!

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,510 Posts
Lotta good work done here. (y)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And plenty of work to go. Still got some leaks (oil pan), and the suspension is going to need to be sorted. Especially the front since it's rattling, then the rear. Engine/trans mounts, driveline stuff etc. Ton of work, but totally worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts