BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I thought I'd share this info I got from my BMW dealer (not stealer) from whom I've purchased my last 2 M5's from. They only give me info that has turned out to be 100% accurate in the past so I hope this too is that way. See an experpt from the email below: Start the clock ticking.......

Here is the schedule for the all-new M5 (F10M) from the information I have today; this information can change at any time.

Start of Communication (when you will start seeing official pictures released from BMW):
• June 21, 2011

World Premiere of production model:
• Sept 14, 2011 (Frankfurt, Germany)

Market Launches (on-sale date)
• TBD – Spring 2011
• Date has not been finalized; I would say May 2011 possibly as early as April 2011

International Press Launch (Press drive the car):
• Sept 19, 2011

Start of Production:
• March 2012 (U.S.); Europe will start earlier (Fall 2011).

We have begun taking deposits on the vehicle. It will be sold at MSRP.

Reactions: Mike G.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can't wait to see it!

Do they have any idea what the MSRP will be?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't know that but my guess will be just north of $100k well optioned as my 08 was about $99k fully loaded ie cant be less than that?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would be pretty certain that BMW has hedged against the Aussie Dollar. You probably will see less of a difference than you would expect.
I have that backwards, the Aussie Dollar is strong, so the car should be less in Australia than you would expect to pay. BMW is hedged against the dollar to keep from becoming un-competitive in one of the largest markets should the Euro continue to strengthen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well when i bought my e60 i paid almost $250k for it by the time i had it on the road, so i dont expect the f10 to be any less! i dont know why it so expensive over here when you could get it in the UK for around 65k pounds and when you convert that it is alot less, and all the taxes that get imposed for cars over $55k make it much more expensive!

·
Registered
773 Posts
well when i bought my e60 i paid almost $250k for it by the time i had it on the road, so i dont expect the f10 to be any less! i dont know why it so expensive over here when you could get it in the UK for around 65k pounds and when you convert that it is alot less, and all the taxes that get imposed for cars over $55k make it much more expensive!
I knew the taxes were bad on high end cars in Australia but holly crap! Is the tax go up because of the size of the engine or because of the cost of the car? What is the percentage of the tax?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I knew the taxes were bad on high end cars in Australia but holly crap! Is the tax go up because of the size of the engine or because of the cost of the car? What is the percentage of the tax?
It isn't the tax. The tax is bad must it isn't the tax- it's the manufacturers. It's what they charge us for the pleasure of having their cars so far from the centre of everything else.

Has nothing to do with distance of course. They have successfully established a status quo here and they know they can get away with it. People happily pay the prices asked without question.

Most people understandably think it's the tax (surely the manufacturers aren't that greedy, they decry), but let me assure you, the manufacturers are indeed that greedy and have been for a very long time.

Take for example the BMW 760Li- that is a $450k odd car here. An S65 AMG is in the $5-600k range.

I will just reiterate that we have a stronger dollar than the United States and that the taxes are not all that exorbitant. The top European marques make so much money selling cars over here that it is obscene.

As a staunch capitalist I congratulate them on their mercenary excellence. As a car enthusiast it makes it much harder than everywhere else.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It isn't the tax. The tax is bad must it isn't the tax- it's the manufacturers. It's what they charge us for the pleasure of having their cars so far from the centre of everything else.

Has nothing to do with distance of course. They have successfully established a status quo here and they know they can get away with it. People happily pay the prices asked without question.

Most people understandably think it's the tax (surely the manufacturers aren't that greedy, they decry), but let me assure you, the manufacturers are indeed that greedy and have been for a very long time.

Take for example the BMW 760Li- that is a $450k odd car here. An S65 AMG is in the $5-600k range.

I will just reiterate that we have a stronger dollar than the United States and that the taxes are not all that exorbitant. The top European marques make so much money selling cars over here that it is obscene.

As a staunch capitalist I congratulate them on their mercenary excellence. As a car enthusiast it makes it much harder than everywhere else.

Can you buy a car and import it from the UK (to get the correct steering wheel side) or the US?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can you buy a car and import it from the UK (to get the correct steering wheel side) or the US?
well the LCT (luxury car tax) is 33% of what ever the cost of the car is, so when I paid $250k for my m5 a bit over $80k was paid in the LCT, as well as the fact that the European brands charge more for their cars over here, which they say is due to the fact that we have a higher standard specification than most other markets.

And we are not able to import cars from the UK here that easily, as they have import restrictions to protect the local sales, so the car has to classified as significantly different to something they already sell here, meaning we could import an M5 if it wasn't already sold here. Or the other option is that if you owned the car previously to coming to Aus you can bring it with you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
well the LCT (luxury car tax) is 33% of what ever the cost of the car is, so when I paid $250k for my m5 a bit over $80k was paid in the LCT, as well as the fact that the European brands charge more for their cars over here, which they say is due to the fact that we have a higher standard specification than most other markets.

And we are not able to import cars from the UK here that easily, as they have import restrictions to protect the local sales, so the car has to classified as significantly different to something they already sell here, meaning we could import an M5 if it wasn't already sold here. Or the other option is that if you owned the car previously to coming to Aus you can bring it with you.
I vacation in Port Douglas every couple of years and many times have thought about moving to Australia. Really never gave it much thought about the price of cars. Now each time I think about moving to Australia, I am going to remember two numbers, 250K and 80K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts