BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me out here!
I am at the verge of going by my impulse to acquire a year 2000 M Roadster again! A car which I've sold just May 29, 2000.
I've been known to make wrong car purchases (with the exception of the E39 M5 of course) but still the sun is out and the wind is blowing. The dinky sunroof of the M5 is NOT keeping me happy

The plan is to lease the M Roadster for 24 months and after that to purchase the new style M Roadster (rumours are saying that the new style will come 2003).
Bash me, please.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is a horrible idea! Just wait for the 2003 M Roadster.

After you lease the '2000 M Roadster, just drop it off at my place so you are not tempted to drive it.

- TheTooth

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, you guys are not helping!
Must buy M Roadster...
Must buy M Roadster...
MUST BUY M ROADSTER!!!
Sigh, did I say that out loud again

·
Registered
40 Posts
WHy not get a 2001 M-roadster (i hear they are putting the new M3 engine in it-- 320bhp)........although maybe they will wait till 2002 to do it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The UK M Roadster already has the 321 bhp M3 evo engine. You guys seem to get short changed all the time. But your gas is cheaper.

Brian R

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I never liked the Z3... But when I drove the M-ster I was floored. Loved it, Loved it, still love it!

I would'nt wait, just lease the current model until the new one is out.

Having said all that, I would'nt sell the beast for the roadster either. having both cars is Nirvana.

Au revoir!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The new roadster will have the engine from the new M3, 343HP, WHOAAAAA, it's very simple; if you don't need space in the back for kids etc, go for the roadster!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blue Max: of course I wouldn't get rid of the beast simply because of the sunroof being too small. The roadster will take care of my sunny days fun only

In terms of the 343hp engine, no news yet that they will come 2001 (or at least the beginning of 2001, they might change in the middle of 2001 like the 540 4.0L versus the 540 4.4L) and even if it shows up at 2001, knowing that a new style will be around the corner 2003, I will be stuck with the old style until at least model year 2004. (Do the math here, if it's August 2001 I pick up the car , 24 months equals August 2003. If there is a style change for 2003, it would have appeared August 2002. And my lease ending 2003 August, unless there is no line up, I will have to let the lease die, wait the winter before I can acquire the new style, that's why 2004) That's why timing-wise buying next year may not suit me perfectly

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Smoke 'em if you got 'em - LOL!

WAIT for the '01, it will have the new M3 motor. That's another 100 horsies. It will then be the fastest Bimmer around IMO.

Alps

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The 321hp M Coupe (roadster probably doesn't handle as well) was faster than the M5 at the Ring. The new 330hp one should even be more fun (343hp is for Europe, emissions drops the U.S. car to 330hp).

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
DONT GIVE IN! DUNNA DO IT CAP'N! Hey, here's a project, why don't you turn you M5 into the world's only drop top version? Then again, you could take off the wheels and it'd do the same for the handling.
IMO, go buy a Honda S2000.

--Dan

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think you should consider waiting for the new engine if you're going to do it.

Don't worry about getting the redesigned model for an extra year because the wait will probably be that long and there is a possibility that you may not even like the new style.

My 2 cents...
- TheTooth

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all

I guess the general consensus is to wait for the new engine and do it then.
Given it's August almost, by chaining myself at the M5 seat, I think I can live without a top down for another 2 months or so thus it's gonna be 2001 before I revisit the topic.
Breath in, Breath out, Breath in, Breath out, GOTTA BUY THE M ROADSTER, GOTTA BUY THE M ROADSTER, DOH!!!
Breath in, Breath out, Breath in, Breath out, Breath in, Breath out, Breath in, Breath out, ...
I think I can do it.

Thanks again guys/girls

As for S2000 bobafett, they are completely sold out here in Toronto Canada and I cannot understand how a $40,000US souped up Civic could be so popular. Having said that, I at one point of time did order one and quickly cancelled the order once I see the real car. Plus torque is terrible in that car, gotta rev the engine to its max every gear everytime

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
S2000s don't appear to be too hard to come by @ sticker even in California.

I suspect a lot of folks ordered them, when they actually got a chance to drive them they found that they had to work pretty hard to outrun a New Beetle, and gave up.

Maybe a good candidate for an Eaton blower, a point lower compression, and some more low-end-oriented cams...

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
So I'm not the only one lusting after the M Roadster? My only problem is that agony I'd have over deciding which one to drive - the M5 or the roadster. I don't get enough time to drive the M5 as it is. But who knows....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Brian

I sold my M Roadtser in May also. Thinking about your dilema, I would go for a Boxter S for a bit of a change and then go for new MZ3 in 2003/4.

Boxter S harder to come by, but you'll lose less money when you sell.

Steve

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Greg,

Oh, but the question, "So, which M do you want me to beat you with?" when challenged makes it ALL worth while

SteveG,

I came to test drive the Boxster S with quite an expectation (I was totally disappointed by the Boxster and was then told Boxster S makes a night and day difference, NOT!) and was disappointed by the acceleration. I beat my friend's Boxster by 2 cars' length with the M Roadster and I swear I can take a Boxster S at least 1 car's length. Moreover, to have a decent (not even close to fully loaded) Boxster S, I gotta put up at least $70,000US which is relatively (almost 70%) more expensive. In fact, it's getting close to a down-to-earth Carrera 2 Coupe.
In terms of resale, I am eye to eye with you. Next to Audi, BMW is the worst vehicle to resell. However, Porsche can offer me a 75% residual while one BMW dealership offers 76%!!! I can't believe it until they put in down on paper 'cause most other dealerships out there offers a range of 60%-67%! So in terms of leasing, the M Roadster, in this rare occasion, beats the Porsche.

For all who have contributed,

I just checked with another dealership this afternoon and they have confirmed that the 330hp engine will be employed by the 2001 M Roadster. So, decision has arrived. I will wait another 2 months without the sun, live a convertible-free winter (no storage, YAY!) and lease the 330hp M Roadster 2001! If they decide to come up with the new body style in 2003, then I'll have 1 full year to get used to the new look when my lease expire and ultimately buy the new car.

best regards,
BrianC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts