BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know nothing of the DVR's and Tivo's and probably the last one get one, so can anyone please recommend an EASY to use and relatively modestly priced DVR? Any other tricks/rec's I should know?
I posted this here as I have truly come to appreciate how inquisitive and informed this group seems to be. Thanks in advance and hope this post is okay.
TripleD

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have a series II Tivo DVR and we LOVE IT! It has an 80GB on it but you can get them with smaller drives. I think Costco sells them at a good price. We have ours connected to the local computer network which allows for the program data to be updated automatically and we can download the movies to our computer via the new Tivo ToGo feature. We find that we really rely on the programming feature and the ability to create Watch Lists that will automatically record new episodes of a show, such as Monday Night Football.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Well, if you have DirecTV, I might think of waiting. Not sure when, but..

They are launching new sats this summer, to provide local HD to more markets. The upside, I can finally ditch that HUGE antenna on the roof. The downside, my ****ed near brand new HD TIVO won't work. The new sats will be MPEG4, not MPEG2, which is all the existing HD TIVO supports. Rumor (and it is rumor at this point) has it DirecTV is going to upgrade everyone with the current model to the new one (which won't have TIVO, but their own inhouse DVR software) for free with a two year deal.

Of course, this assumes that you use DirecTV. Last time I checked, the ONLY HD Tivo that works with DirecTV is the one they sell, and it is not a standalone recorder, but one with built in turners (which works well BTW).

The downside of their DVR? Slow.. like browsing the guide is really slow. Other that, it is great.

The other downside is the software... I know that DirecTV's newest receivers are built inhouse by them, with their own software, which sucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts