BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comments on an 86 Maserati bi-turbo spyder. Rebuilt engine and turbos new clutch and pressure plate. Summer/weekend driver (I don't ever plan on putting the top up) :wroom: am I asking for a ouich

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I am already knowledgeable enough to know that they are a maintenance headache but with two tinkers in the family (one with VERY DEEP pockets) I am thinking this will be a fun summer sunny day driving car.

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
DrewT said:
Thanks I am already knowledgeable enough to know that they are a maintenance headache but with two tinkers in the family (one with VERY DEEP pockets) I am thinking this will be a fun summer sunny day driving car.
Be very careful, even if you think you are forwarned. Sounds more like a fun summer sunny day PROJECT. Unless you got lucky, they were built to old British standards of reliabilty!! ;) Parts are probably tough to come by, and it may take more than tinkering on some items. I would really be concerned about all the electrics.
If you can find an enthusiast group similar to this one as a resource, it may be worth a try, but buy cheap (to me cheap is buying the car for a lot less than I KNOW I can part the car out if I have to)!! I think the earlier ones had carbs, later fuel injection, I don't remember if 86 had the FI or not.
Good luck, you are a brave man!!!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Well, you could also throw quarters into the toilet and see how long it takes to back up; it's really a similar gamble. Those are entertaining cars, but I wouldnt risk owning it. For a cheap fun weekend car, an old E30 325 convert with a 5spd would be entertaining, as would an old MB SL class.
:cheers:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
interesting but a e30 vert is SLOW, the Maser isn't could be close to the m5. Just to remind everyone I used to own a 93 rx7, I am a glutton for punishment. I'm thinking highest I would go is like $5k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts