BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change elements of my shifter and e-brake. On one hand, I wanted the UUC RK5 shifter with the chrome insert, but they don't offer that insert anymore. My next favorite one is the RK6 wrapped in leather with the matching e-brake handle. I was also considering the Magnum, but that thing is over 1lb! I think I'lll pass on that. I also like that the RK6 has adjustable height.

Now, for short shifters: Im considering the UUC Evo 3, but there's also the OEM lever for the E60 540 which a lot of people say is a mod that can't be beat for the money.

So my question is, for common street driving with the ocassional stretching of (car's) legs, which one would you pick? Is the UUC overkill?

What does the UUC kit comes with, as opposed to just the lever? What OEM parts would I need to "match" the UUC kit?

I'm not noticing any problems with my current (OEM) setup when it comes to shifting except for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd being slightly crunchier than the other gears (1st being the crunchiest and 3rd being barely noticeable). I have no base for comparison, but my boss has a new CTS and said that my car shifts a lot smoother than his, so I dont know what to make of that.

All I want is a shorter throw. First, I'm gonna get the knob and if I want shorter, then I'll take it from there, but what do you guys think? Is the UUC kit overkill for my kind of use? I realize that the E60 shifter is only the lever and won't change the smoothness of the shifting, but what should I get if I wanted to smooth it out (without going the UUC route)?

Thanks for the help :cheers:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Diny,

I'm in same boat as you in being interested in improving the gear change.

I've read a lot of threads on this and the consensus seems to be UUC Evo3 with DSSR rod. The Evo3 gives you the shorter shift, and the DSSR rod seems to give that shift a much better through-put.

Some board members are doing self installs of this.

UUC (board sponsor) have a "special" (free(?) tranmission mounts) on Evo3 at the moment.

If you beat me to ordering and installing, I'll be interested to know how you get on and how pleased you are with the product.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I installed the Rogue SSK in my car and it makes a huge difference. I drove a stock shifter recently and it felt like I was rowing a boat. SSK gives a great improvement in driving pleasure. Rogue or UUC are both good.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that the Octane model that you got?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Is that the Octane model that you got?
Yes. It comes with new shifter and selector rod. Stock shift knob will fit back on or you could go aftermarket.

·
Registered
116 Posts
the Rogue SSK/WSR is a huge improvement over stock. When i was looking for a SSK I evaluated all options (UUC, E60 retrofit, ACS...). I couldn't justify dropping $800 on a SSK. I could see that happening if i were building a track car.

I also wanted to retain the Stock Shift Boot/ Illuminated Knob. Just my 2 cents.

If you go Rogue pick up a set of tranny mounts too. Also worth the $$ and you can do both at the same time.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would I need the tranny mounts for?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Having had both the UUC and the E60 SS, I would reccomend that you guys get the E60 with new bushings (do a search) and evaluate that first. I did not notice a "big" difference between UUC v/s E60. I am happy with the E60 setup and the $$$ in my pocket. my $0.03

·
Registered
116 Posts
What would I need the tranny mounts for?

The tranny mounts just support the transmission and clean up some of the drive wiggle you may experience when shifting. They aren't expensive and can be put in while you have the SSK installed (you need to get under the car to install the SSK).

·
Registered
224 Posts
has anyone else tried the UUC Evo3? and is the DSSR a good extra to get?? I need to get a short shifter and have heard good things about UUC

·
Banned
156 Posts
I hae the UUC now and I must say its very solid and gives a nice quality feel to it. The onyl complaint I have, which has nothing to do with the shifter, is the side to side play. But in terms of the shifter I would def go with the UUC. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I hae the UUC now and I must say its very solid and gives a nice quality feel to it. The onyl complaint I have, which has nothing to do with the shifter, is the side to side play. But in terms of the shifter I would def go with the UUC. ;)

Is there any way to tighten up the play?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is there any way to tighten up the play?
I have the UUC SSK w/ the DSSR and it has almost no side-to-side play. It _almost_ feels like shifting my Miata.

·
Registered
730 Posts
UUC with DSSR -- my first mod... I would do it again for sure.

I hear the Rogue one is good as well... I never looked at it...

I read up on the UUC and checked their website and it all made sense to me so I ordered it.

Dealer install while doing other work...

I could not be happier...

BTW side to side play is not the short shifter... I think...

·
Registered
474 Posts
side to side play can be solved by relacing the plactic bushing. that takes care of a lot of the play. of course, its not the same as doing a full UUC upgrade.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
diny since we live so close to eachother why dont you come over and drive my car i got the uuc evo 3 ssk and dssr rod tranny mounts and clutch stop, light weight flywheel with the utra smooth ceramic clutch. pm me if your intrested

·
Registered
224 Posts
side to side play can be solved by relacing the plactic bushing. that takes care of a lot of the play. of course, its not the same as doing a full UUC upgrade.

Is this full upgrade, the evo3 and dssr? or is there more involved? Also did I understand right that UUC is giving away free tranny mounts? Last but not least, where is the best place to purchase UUC products.. Thanks

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It may seem expensive but it's not something trivial in the car. It's something that we use every time we drive, not to mention that we touch it and is a crucial part of the driving experience.

But if the same effect can be had with the E60 lever and new bushings.....then good. We'll have to see.

M5 Daemon, check your PMs!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have the ACS SSK. After driving a slew of E39s, SSK is definitely worth it. I've also driven a car with the Rogue kit, and it felt really no different from the ACS.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts