BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, within a few weeks of getting my car, the wheels were stolen (this was 3 weeks ago). Cops woke me up at 1am with car on cinder blocks. Wheel locks were in my trunk; was going to install them that weekend.

Had my local dealer roadside service come out with some other M5 wheels, and drove it back to their shop for replacement wheels as well as a small amount of body work to fix scratches on underside of side skirts from cinder blocks. Also, front right rotor barely touched the pavement and got a small nick.

Filed a claim with geico, and after a lot of back and forth with them and dealer, finally got them to approve:
- new OEM wheels
- new tires + tpms, etc
- new front rotors (both sides, as per BMW recommendation)
- new front pads (both sides, as per BMW recommendation)
- body work on side skirts
- alignment

The total bill at the dealer's ridiculous parts prices/labor rates for everything was...are you sitting down...~$9,500. In addition to my deductible, had to pay a small amt out of pocket to cover the existing use on the rotors/pads, but was financially a wash given new tires/brakes (wear items).

There's more....when I went to pick up the car last week, found the car sitting on M6 wheels. Turns out they ordered the 167s in M5 offsets instead of just the default 166s, and now I'm trying to figure out whether I should just keep them or not (I left the car there). I actually like the look, and I think the 167s are actually more expensive, but wondering whether it hurts resale since they don't look stock. Would you keep them or demand 166s? ??????

What I learned from this experience:
- You get what you pay for in insurance. My geico policy is very cost effective (~$700/yr), but you can see why at claim time. They try their best to nickel and dime you when all you want is to be made whole. This is the first claim I've filed in 12 yrs of driving, so it was eye-opening how they are not really on your side.
- The dealership prices are ridiculous. I would never have gone there initially, but I didn't have much choice because I needed someone to bring wheels with them that would clear the M5 brakes.
- The dealership doesn't know their own product. How can you not know what the default wheels are on one of your flagship products that has been out for 5 years? Just look at the pictures on the walls!

Hopefully will have it sorted out this week, but no guarantees. I needed to post this to help vent my rage.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Geico is complete s h i t. They exist for people of lesser income or those who think its never too good to be true. They reel you in with low rates then completely dick you over when it's time to pay. Esurance is the same way. Clever marketing fools alot of people.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John - the 167s are OEMs, yes. They are not M6s wheels since they are made for the M5 with the M5 offsets. And it's possible when you ordered a new 08 you could have opted for those wheels instead of the 166s....but my point to dealer is why not put the default 166s on?

Dexter - yes, I learned that this past month. I considered all insurance the same, and decided based on price. What insurance co's are on the other end of the spectrum....ie, pay more but they completely have your back at claim time?

duhmingus - no idea. I thought the tilt sensor should have gone off, but it never did. It was right outside my bedroom window, and my neighbor saw them and called the cops just as they finished off the last wheel.

So, keep the 167s or demand 166s??

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't see m6 wheels hurting the resale value. Their an OEM wheel that look pretty good on the m5.

I doubt it will hurt/help value in the long run. It could turn away a few buyers, and may turn on a few.

If you like em, go for em. I'm a sucker for 166's tho :15:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I like the m6 wheels, I have them on my car.

As for Geico, they have been great to me...... Never nickel dimed me......... And have always been quick to cut me a check. I deal with this high-end body for exotics and whatever the shop says the adjuster ok's it because he has confidence in the shop.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I like the m6 wheels, I have them on my car.

As for Geico, they have been great to me...... Never nickel dimed me......... And have always been quick to cut me a check. I deal with this high-end body for exotics and whatever the shop says the adjuster ok's it because he has confidence in the shop.
Your car looks great. The 167's really compliment the car nicely.

One thing I've noticed... the e60 m5 is one of the hardest cars to find good wheels for. Most of the "go-to" wheels just don't work on the m5 imho

·
4,395 Posts
John - the 167s are OEMs, yes. They are not M6s wheels since they are made for the M5 with the M5 offsets. And it's possible when you ordered a new 08 you could have opted for those wheels instead of the 166s....but my point to dealer is why not put the default 166s on?
my comment was a bit redundant so i took it down, what i also said though was that the dealer either took the opportunity to write as big a bill as possible or they simply put on what they had in stock

as to 166 vs 167:
unless you really like the 166 over the 167 the car is original

*what i mean by that is at this point you can't differentiate the 166 vs the 167 for originality because the original wheels that came with the car from factory are gone - that level of originality is lost*

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Dexter - yes, I learned that this past month. I considered all insurance the same, and decided based on price. What insurance co's are on the other end of the spectrum....ie, pay more but they completely have your back at claim time?
Just re-read my post and came off a bit harsh. I just completely despise cut-rate anything, especially companies that pray on people to believe you really can get low rates AND good service. Rarely do you get lots for a little money.

In terms of quality insurance companies - Amica, Allstate, Met Life are three that I would recommend. I personally have had Amica for 15 years and they have never let me down once. I know it's hard to come remotely close to praising an insurance company, but for something that is required, they do a good job.

·
Registered
641 Posts
as to 166 vs 167:
unless you really like the 166 over the 167 the car is original
I agree. I think there's zero impact on resale value since both are OEM. It's totally personal preference. I love the M6 wheels by the way - bought a set to use as my winter wheel setup.

Attachments

Reactions: petesamprs

·
Registered
641 Posts
In terms of quality insurance companies - Amica, Allstate, Met Life are three that I would recommend.
I currently use NJ Manufacturers and they have been great. The only problem is you have to work for a NJ-based company to use them, but their rates are terrific. I have also used NJ CURE and Liberty Mutual in the past, both were also very good.

Reactions: petesamprs

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone...I'm liking the pics of the E60 on 167s. I do have a special place in my heart for 166s since it's how I've always known the M5, but I'll get comfortable with 167s to avoid waiting any longer.

With 167s, I gotta add another mod: painted calipers, since the 167s show off the huge front brakes so well.

The day before my wheels got jacked, I did the following:
- black grill (install was a huge PITA!)
- black side marker
- body colored reflector
- V1 hardwire

Have left to do:
- eibach springs
- 12mm spacers + wheel locks
- painted calipers (black w/ ///M decal)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Please post pictures after you completed your mods, look forward to seeing them, thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts