BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My OEM's got destroyed by my car detailer, he used some acid to clean the wheels and it ate away the paint.

The wheels are now at a repair shop, and they are trying to re-finish them in Chrome-shadow (like they are supposed to be). The paint beeing used is pretty expensive (like I give a ****, Im not paying for it), but they are having trouble getting the finsish right.

They have tried to use high gloss black as a primer, and the special paint over the black, but the wheels have always gone silver. I told them to try to use less of the special paint, and more clear coat.

So what should I do if it does not work as planed.

1. Have them painted in silver/black chrome and be unike (well 3 E39M5's in iceland so it does not take a lot).
2. Have them powdercoated or painted black
3. Have them Crhome finished the old way.
4. Get new OEM's for free.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
This is a no brainer, they should purchase four new OEM wheels from BMW for you....period.

Mark

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I agree. They can have the ruined wheels. Have them get you a set of new ones. They're supposed to know what they're doing. They never should have used such an aggressive cleaner on these wheels.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
You want new ones...Or the price of 4 new ones and upgrade to some acs wheels...Forget about trying to make um match though.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Fart said:
My OEM's got destroyed by my car detailer, he used some acid to clean the wheels and it ate away the paint.

The wheels are now at a repair shop, and they are trying to re-finish them in Chrome-shadow (like they are supposed to be). The paint beeing used is pretty expensive (like I give a ****, Im not paying for it), but they are having trouble getting the finsish right.

They have tried to use high gloss black as a primer, and the special paint over the black, but the wheels have always gone silver. I told them to try to use less of the special paint, and more clear coat.

So what should I do if it does not work as planed.

1. Have them painted in silver/black chrome and be unike (well 3 E39M5's in iceland so it does not take a lot).
2. Have them powdercoated or painted black
3. Have them Crhome finished the old way.
4. Get new OEM's for free.
Forget about Chroming them atleast! Or is your middle name "pimpdaddy"?

I would choose to have new wheels or have them powder coated in shadow. Would look fantastic i think.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Ive seen repairs it never looks like it should, many have gotten close, but still close is not the same.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
Forget about Chroming them atleast! Or is your middle name "pimpdaddy"?
I bought my 2001 M5 and the prior owned had chromed them. I figure that he had probably encountered some finish problems.

You can see photos in the gallery. I do not care for the chrome wheels either, I wish he had just left them. Non-car people seem to like them, but I could care less about their opinion. I've thought about powder coating them back to a darker finish.

If I were you, I would just get the OEM wheels and call it a day. If they paid me the equivalent, I would take that money and buy some HRE's. Probably a 540R.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ronin M5 said:
I bought my 2001 M5 and the prior owned had chromed them. I figure that he had probably encountered some finish problems.

You can see photos in the gallery. I do not care for the chrome wheels either, I wish he had just left them. Non-car people seem to like them, but I could care less about their opinion. I've thought about powder coating them back to a darker finish.

If I were you, I would just get the OEM wheels and call it a day. If they paid me the equivalent, I would take that money and buy some HRE's. Probably a 540R.
Beautiful car man!

But those chrome wheels :3:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
FWIW, chrome wheels are also heavier.

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ashok Arora said:
Get 4 new wheels.

Iceland must be getting cold now :2:

Be sure to keep the beast away from this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3982273.stm

around 5-10°c today, so not that cold, but extra power for me when it gets below zero.

about the volcano... its just 500miles away.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
Beautiful car man!

But those chrome wheels :3:

Yeah, they're killing me...

I know if I ante up for the 19 inch 540R's, then a BBK is right after. So I look at it, as a $10,000 proposition to swap out the wheels.

Then, the chrome kind of looks okay.

But then again, there is a deal on the StopTech BBK in the GB forum, $1000 off...

Heheh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts