BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the beginning of the production the M5 have always been delivered with Michelin Pilot Sport or Dunlop SP 8080, BMW having two suppliers in case of one having problems to supply them.
They put Michelins or Dunlop according to their stock ; no rule.

But I visited the BMW factory in Dingolfing last year a saw plenty of Bridgestone S02 (which are one of the top tyres on the market) prepared to be mounted on M5 (1999 models) ; i read that they reserved these for german market, but i don't know if they continued to do so for 2000 model.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
It seems that new US M5s are being delivered with a variety of tires (some are reporting run flat, some say Michelin Pilots, some say Dunlap). Does anyone know what is the OEM standard for the US on a M5 or is it whatever they could find? All are nice tires, of course. Just curious

////////////ME

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Tom,
Thank you. BMW is smart to be sure they have a supply of tires. Is one type preferred or are both basically equal?

//////ME

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Dunlop and the Michelin seem to perform equally, though the Michelin has a better look (more newer with diagonal schemes) and is less older than the 8080, which has a standard look (vertical schemes only)

Back view :

Dunlop : ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦

Michelin : ¦///\\\¦
¦///\\\¦
¦///\\\¦
¦///\\\¦

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I actually saw photos of 2 M5s, one had the Dunlops and the other had the Michelins and I got them confused! The Michelins, for a long time, had the pattern that looks like the Dunlop and for a while Dunlop had the pattern with the curved lines going into a center channel.

thanks again

/////////ME

·
Registered
331 Posts
Does anyone know if you can specify a brand preference for tires when the car order is submitted to the factory?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In fact, the newest Dunlop SP 9000 look like the Michelins Pilot Sport, but for the M5 BMW chose the older one especially adapted for the M5 (8000 into 8080)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts