BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 65K miles, I am looking to replace my 2008 E60 M5 rod bearings soon. Generally, I am an "only OEM" guy. But since the rod bearings of the E60 M5 are one of the weak points of the S85 engine, I am inclined to go for the aftermarket Clevite rod bearings with added clearance and more oil lubrication. I'd love to hear some recommendations from anyone with knowledge/experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Seconded

I'd go with BE bearings, replaced mine at the beginning of this year and for me, BE bearings where the only logical choice.

·
Registered
286 Posts
OEM Bolts will work fine if you want to save a few bucks skipping the ARP BE spec bolts. BE Improved bearings are the way to go though

On a side note
- If you are doing this yourself, then ARP BE Spec bolts will save you a lot of time on retorquing since it's once and done, vs x3 for OEm bolts
- If you are going above basic bolt ons, then ARP BE Spec bolts wouldn't be a bad investment for forced induction or much higher horsepower on the motor, otherwise OEM will handle just fine

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
I will likely go with BE bearings and ARP when I go in for my second set of bearings.

1st set of OEM went 84,000ish
2nd set of OEM are at 64,000ish

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't see how folks can be so definitive. How many BE/ARP bearing sets have done the mileage? I've only read about one with with something like 10,000 miles. I did mine at 86,000 miles and put OEM back in with OEM rod bolts.

What will the mileage interval for those with the BE/ARP's?

I'm running almost exclusively 0-W40 M1 and I've got just shy of 20,000 on them. I plan on a 60K change interval...now that I've got the engine holder and torque wrench...not very expensive for the change (if you do it yourself)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would recommend BE bearings, especially if you in colder climates or plan to continue using 10w60.

I myself live in colder climates and I will be using 5w50 from now on. I think 0w50 would be too thin and could cause vanos issues in extreme cases (no actual proof, just an educated guess here.)

At one point bmw north america actually released a new list of approved oils for the s85 and s65 which included 5w30. This only lasted for a few months, I read somewhere that bmw germany slapped bmw NA and they quickly removed that from the list. And the reasoning is that is almost like admitting they recommended the wrong oil from the get go and could ask for trouble (law suits and such). Not sure how much of this is true, but I did run 5w30 myself for a while and I did experience better cold starts, and I did like the way the engine ran also. I also didn't have to top up oil at all.

But I then went back to 10w60 while trying to solve my vanos issues. Then my rod bearing job came up, and I found a spun bearing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts