BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...Well, we all know I really want the real deal BBK like Stoptech or Brembo with red calipers, but I don't have $5K laying around for a BBK...so for $350 I decided to have Butler Tire take my OEM calipers apart and paint them using a special two part painting system for calipers.

While no doubt the OEM calipers/brakes really need to be bigger, I think the OEM red calipers with ///M do look pretty decent...I had them do the clip in bright silver.

Also found I need new front pads and rotors...I just can't afford a BBK right now but how are you guys liking the Stoptech slotted OEM size rotors with Axxis/Ultimate pads and stainless lines, pretty nice setup for around $1K?

How about quality direct replacement OEM size cross drilled rotors? Anything?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Looks really nice and classy!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
looks great. was there the option of painting the ///M too?

·
Registered
756 Posts
dang that looks really good! The paint M would be even better. The paint job looks alot better than the place that did a similar setup on my 540s brakes.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
We need a pics of the whole car now :D

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Looks good.
Your car is IMO the best looking M5 around. Very classic with silver and black, doesn't look too much.
However with a BBK it will look even better - would recommend black calipers then. Maybe silver.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not sure how it would look, but I saw the replacment //M 3D Decals for the Wheels on Ebay. Maybe you could bond these to the calipers? Looks great! My friend has a powdercoat gun and oven, I have been thinkng of powder coating mine. Anyone tried that? Results ?

Thanks

H

·
Registered
117 Posts
The calipers looks great!

I painted mine by hand the same color and so far they're holding up VERY well. Like you I wanted the BBK but I settled for a bit more "flash."

I ended up painting the '///M' black on mine. It doesn't look too bad IMO. Here are some other color options I photoshopped

...and yes I run M5 brakes on my 540i/6 :hihihi:

Dark Silver (to match the shadowchrome)

Silver

Black (winner!)

White

All Red

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
ATLANTA M5,

Looks sharp. I remember a poster had painted the ///M stripes with the 3 colors as well. I too want to see more pictures of your car. You probably have more mods to it now.

Bob

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks, I'll take some more photos of the entire car this weekend and post them. :)

I agree the stock calipers are small, but I just wanted to do something for the time being until I have the money for a BBK...and of course with these open looking wheels a BBK will look awesome.

Here's one photo but it was getting dark and the slow flash didn't work too well but this gives an idea...

(Edit) More photos on the second page of this thread now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
iconoclast, that is just the OEM caliper clip that was painted silver. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks great IMO. I painted the OEM calipers red on my girl's '98 Volvo S70 GLT. I used high temp. spray paint. It's been over a year, and they still look good. That's saying alot considering how much F-ing salt they throw on the roads here in the winter. When my 540i/6 needs brakes, I'll do the same to them as well. To each their own, I guess. Looks great Atlanta M5.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts