BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what the used OEM front brakes (rotors,calipers,pads) for the M5 go for ? I just installed Brembos 14" on mine and I'm trying to sell the OEM....TIA

Ed

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Just had a chat with my service adviser and he suggested I get my brakes replaced! When I asked him how much, he said $2200....( without the calipers )

I told him to go screw himself and am currently shopping for some after market brakes!!!! Preferable rotors and pads!!!!

·
10,455 Posts
i'd imagine you could realistically get $500 or so for them. Your market is essentiall a 540 (or 525,528,530)owner who wants a bigger brake look. Unless they also do the rears, they'd have an unballanced system. If the rotors and pads are newish, you might get a bit more. There would be a couple other parts needed to put these on a std e39 that would add another $2-300 to the cost of the conversion.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mottati said:
i'd imagine you could realistically get $500 or so for them. Your market is essentiall a 540 (or 525,528,530)owner who wants a bigger brake look. Unless they also do the rears, they'd have an unballanced system. If the rotors and pads are newish, you might get a bit more. There would be a couple other parts needed to put these on a std e39 that would add another $2-300 to the cost of the conversion.
Thanks u guys, for the response.....

Now I have a fairly good idea of the price range they go for.

ahmed - man, I just cannot see myself paying $2200 for the OEM brakes, go get you a BBK, good luck...

Ed

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ahmed said:
Just had a chat with my service adviser and he suggested I get my brakes replaced! When I asked him how much, he said $2200....( without the calipers )

I told him to go screw himself and am currently shopping for some after market brakes!!!! Preferable rotors and pads!!!!

I was just quoted 750.00 at a BMW dealership for the front brakes, rotors, etc.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
MPressed said:
I was just quoted 750.00 at a BMW dealership for the front brakes, rotors, etc.
:confused: are you serious? How much would it cost for the whole front and rear set? I would appreciate if you would get me that info. I would be better off ordering it from the US!!!! ouich

BBK are still expensive ( although better and longer lasting ), however i dont plan on tracking the car much, and plan to sell it shortly!

i need to do some serious shopping research. I cannot afford those kind of figures right now, and cannot compromise on safety either! :sad1:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Mottati

The 540i and late 530i front brakes produce about 6% less torque than the M5 fronts, and they use the same caliper piston sizes (same BMW OEM part numbers for the rebuild kits - that's the giveaway) and pad sizes. The rotor radius is only about 1 CM less. In other words, the "M" rotors cost more but don't produce a lot more braking effect. They will absorb more heat.

The difference is quite small.

Cheers
JJ

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Ahmed said:

$2200 WOW thats a lot of money for OEM front brakes!:( I was quoted $700 for front brakes (rotors and pads) OEM from my local dealership. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Brakes are one area that I feel confident about doing myself. For that kind of money (and less) I could upgrade to Euro floating rotors all around, get the latest Dave Z recommended Hawk street ceramic pads and still have some change in my pocket. Come to think of it, that's what I'll do when next I need rotors. :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Need4Spd,

What makes your opt for the European floating rotors instead of the stock U.S. spec? It is my understanding that the Euro spec brakes have minimal advantages to the U.S. version. Furthermore, I think we can both agree that the stock brakes are adequate for street use.

Just curious...

Travis

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
2200 he is trying to screw you.

I say get the AP Racing setup for 2700.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
What makes your opt for the European floating rotors instead of the stock U.S. spec? ... Furthermore, I think we can both agree that the stock brakes are adequate for street use.
Good point. Well maybe I was just reacting to the price tag, figuring heck, if I'm gonna spend $2200, why not go with Euro rotors instead of paying for all that labor I can do myself? But there is no real good reason to spend that much for little/no benefit in the street driving environment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts