BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I happened to have one of each on hand so I thought I would post up some pictures for those interested in the physical differences between the 2. I also whipped out the handy dandy bathroom scale (which my wife SWEARS is 10 pounds off) to show the weight difference.

OEM:

Dinan:

OEM on the left, Dinan on the right.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
stock flywheel with the outside machined down.
It's so amazing how obvious it is from the pictures. Just shaved off 8 lbs of metal off the outside.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How is it w/ that lightened unit for everyday street?

For the relatively quicker revs, I'd think you'd give up that precious engine braking and smooth start in 1st gear?

·
Registered
205 Posts
How is it w/ that lightened unit for everyday street?

For the relatively quicker revs, I'd think you'd give up that precious engine braking and smooth start in 1st gear?
That is always the trade-off... You will have to give the engine some more revs to start out in 1st.
It's really bad if you also change the clutch to a higher friction model, but Dinan uses the OEM clutch in their clutch/flywheel package.

·
Registered
205 Posts
And they charge $1800 for it. A machine shop will do the job for a fraction of that cost.
All of Dinan's prices were based on having to cover the costs of the parts plus engine damage for any warranty claims.
The Dinan warranty only matches the factory warranty, of which their are no M5s these days under factory warranty.

1. Plus Dinan has to start with a brand new flywheel ( $1325 from Tischer )
2. And then machine it and balance it. ( paying their employees to do the work )
3. Ship it.
4. Make some profit margin.
5. Pay their taxes on the money they made...

It's easy to see how the price adds up very fast...

Don't know if Dinan would reuse the original flywheel in exchange for taking roughly $1,300 off the price tag.
Depending on the flywheel condition, it might be turnable once to prep for a new clutch.

I don't recall the flywheel ever being so expensive before.... I thought the flywheels were well under $1,000.
I wouldn't be surprised if the price of the Dinan flywheel goes up at least $500 in the near future.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Good info

Tim,

Thanks for the helpful post, with pics. Very interesting to view the
side-by-side photos, including the weight differences.

Well done,
Alan

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
All of Dinan's prices were based on having to cover the costs of the parts plus engine damage for any warranty claims.
The Dinan warranty only matches the factory warranty, of which their are no M5s these days under factory warranty.

1. Plus Dinan has to start with a brand new flywheel ( $1325 from Tischer )
2. And then machine it and balance it. ( paying their employees to do the work )
3. Ship it.
4. Make some profit margin.
5. Pay their taxes on the money they made...

It's easy to see how the price adds up very fast...

Don't know if Dinan would reuse the original flywheel in exchange for taking roughly $1,300 off the price tag.
Depending on the flywheel condition, it might be turnable once to prep for a new clutch.

I don't recall the flywheel ever being so expensive before.... I thought the flywheels were well under $1,000.
I wouldn't be surprised if the price of the Dinan flywheel goes up at least $500 in the near future.

try 400 for the flywheel, and MAYBE 3 hours of machining labor equating to MAYBE $325 on the high end. now do you math and tell me how much their profit margin is, and why to increase the price by 500 seems logical.

hell if you guys want these flywheels, ill start churning them out for you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
For what its worth, I had my std flywheel machined down, cost me about £200 (mixed in with some crank re-working, so I don't have a real figure)

I've found that:

it drops revs quicker
its actually smoother to move off and the start "lurch" is minimal
haven't noticed a difference under acceleration

HTH

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
try 400 for the flywheel, and MAYBE 3 hours of machining labor equating to MAYBE $325 on the high end. now do you math and tell me how much their profit margin is, and why to increase the price by 500 seems logical.

hell if you guys want these flywheels, ill start churning them out for you.
Most companies need to hit a minimum of 35-40% margin to keep the lights on. At my company, we will not start a new product development unless there is a minimum 50% margin. Economies of scale allow you to get by on a lower margin, but I don't think that applies in the one off car part world. No company is going to carry a bunch of inventory for years, just to lower their street price. That would be suicide.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Is it normal for OEM flywheel to have rotation play of roughly 8 degrees (my best estimate), but when released, does not counter-rotate to original position?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
CNS Twin Disk Clutch

Has anyone had any experience using the CNS Twin Disk Clutch? I'm thinking of installing one if we go back to the drags in 2012. My previous experience hasn't been all that great with replacements for the S3 clutch (and which Dinan doesn't make anymore:crying:).

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Is it normal for OEM flywheel to have rotation play of roughly 8 degrees (my best estimate), but when released, does not counter-rotate to original position?
Rich,

Of the flywheels that I have worked with and reused, all of them had similar "play" and I don't recall any of them springing back on their own.

Reactions: bimmerule

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm looking at AU$5,600 for a new clutch/flywheel in a month's time. If the existing flywheel is OK, then I can save about AU$2,000 (the estimated cost of the BMW flywheel).

So the prices quotes for North America seem reasonable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts