BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've done a search and can't find an answer to the following question:

Can I replace my OEM CD changer to an Alpine DVD Changer if I use an interface?

I know I'll need to control the DVD part of the changer separately via a remote control and also have the correct TV in Motion and AV in leads to make it work but will the basic changer controls work through the standard 16:9 headunit?

My car is 2001 M5 with widescreen sat nav and full comms pack.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I don't understand the question - you say you know it will require aftermarket control but then ask if the controls will work through the headunit.

What exactly are you looking to do?

d-

·
Registered
385 Posts
i think what you need is alpines vehicle hub pro. im having one installed next week - it integrates with the oem system including menus and steering wheel controls. basically it allows you to then add alpine components (dvd/nav/tv etc) and control them via oem head unit. ive looked at all sorts of set-ups and this seems to be the 'best' solution for our cars.

ps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't understand the question - you say you know it will require aftermarket control but then ask if the controls will work through the headunit.

What exactly are you looking to do?

d-
Hi D,

thought it might be slightly confusing.

I'm looking at changing my exisiting OEM changer with an alpine DVD changer. I've been told the OEM BMW changers are actually similar to Alpine units so with a small interface they can be controlled via the standard HU.

I then want to use the video output to feed my monitor so I can watch DVD's. I know the video controls will have to done via a remote control but don't want have to use the remote for basic CD changer controls.

There's lots of info about using basic Alpine CD changers in BMW's but nothing that refers to the DVD changer.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think what you need is alpines vehicle hub pro. im having one installed next week - it integrates with the oem system including menus and steering wheel controls. basically it allows you to then add alpine components (dvd/nav/tv etc) and control them via oem head unit. ive looked at all sorts of set-ups and this seems to be the 'best' solution for our cars.

ps.
Cheers PS, will look into it.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'm pretty much going to repeat what PSiggy said with a bit more detail.

Our cars use something called an IBus to control the electronics. Every device has an address on the system.

Alpine uses something called AINet to control their devices. An AINet controller can communicate with, and control, other Alpine devices.

I've heard a name other than what PSiggy used, but basically you replace your CD Changer with an AINet controller and then use the AINet controller to control your DVD or any other Alpine device.

What this means in practice is that you'll go through 2 sets of menus to control the DVD Changer (instead of 1 set to control the stock CD Changer) - you'll select the "CD" from the stock menu, which will then present you with the AINet menu (somehow) from which you'll select / control the DVD changer. Again, I have no idea of the specifics since I don't have one :)

It certainly can be done...

Or, if you are interested in just having a DVD player, you can remove the stock tape deck (behind the monitor) and put a single 1/2 DIN DVD player in it's place...

d-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts