BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 91 faithful months of service, my factory original battery died on my '00, and died very suddenly, no prior signs of illness. (yes, i bought the car new).

Couldn't find a group 95 battery anywhere in town so resorted to getting new battery from the dealership. price not awful with CCA discount; and it's identical in looks to the one it replaces, so maybe it will last a long time too. :confused:

Steve
00 M5

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I put a new one in my '03 a couple weeks ago. You got a few more years out of yours. I paid around $200 from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Very impressed! How many dollars a month was that?

·
Registered
835 Posts
There must have been some good batteries made in '00. My '00 GT Mustang that I recently sold had it's original battery up until this past fall!

·
Registered
267 Posts
My battery also just died this month, car is a 2001 E39 M5, ended up buying a battery at the dealership for $240 after AUTOZONE tried selling me a used battery as new...

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Well, after 91 faithful months of service, my factory original battery died on my '00, and died very suddenly, no prior signs of illness. (yes, i bought the car new).

Couldn't find a group 95 battery anywhere in town so resorted to getting new battery from the dealership. price not awful with CCA discount; and it's identical in looks to the one it replaces, so maybe it will last a long time too. :confused:

Steve
00 M5
Thanks for the heads up Steve. My car has the original battery in it also, but it has been started probably less than 10 times in its life when it was outside with temps below 40F. It lives an easy life, but I've been wondering about just replacing it, and your post is the motivation I need. :) In July, my car will be 7 years old. The original battery still works fine with no issues.

It looks like the BMWNA MSRP on the battery is $224.00, so with a 15% CCA discount, its not too crazy considering the size/type of the thing.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like the BMWNA MSRP on the battery is $224.00, so with a 15% CCA discount, its not too crazy considering the size/type of the thing.

Chuck
Same deal I got. BTW, the battery weighs 62 pounds; it's a monster.

Steve
00 M5

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
:eek:oohhh:

Any lightweight batteries out there? Oh, that work...
:3: the weight may actually be beneficial for the cars weight distribution and also getting the power down on the rear wheels..... maybe you want a heavier battery not lighter1

·
Registered
543 Posts
lf uranium battery with palladium rods. Should weigh, oh, 1000lbs if it were the same dimensions....

Did find a lightweight battery tho - Oddessey (20lbs total)

-kmac

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is timely...

I was suprised to find my 00 still had the original battery when I bought it last year. Last weekend the OBC reset itself between drives and I had the first slight pause during a cold start...must be time.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
7 years, 7 months is pretty damn good for a battery. Mine is 7 years and 1 month old, so I wouldn't be surprised if it needs replacement soon.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Yeah, good advice. I also go to plenty of places you wouldn't want to get stuck....

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got lucky, car wouldnt start at school after I got out. It was left under a street light on school grounds. Happy it wasn't anything worse.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Original battery in my 00' as well. Crossing my fingers for longer life.....

·
Registered
620 Posts
I replaced the battery on my '01 a few months ago. I think I got it for $140 from Batteries Plus. The dealer quoted me something like $250... I really hate BMW of Bellevue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guess what? My battery died today. My driveway is on a slight incline so I got to push start the M5. Looks like I"ll be paying the dealer a visit, I'd rather not wedge in a cheap autozone battery.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts