BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a working link to the install instructions for the OEM AUX Input, or could someone scan their copy? The only link I found is dead.

If anyone has a picture of the AUX input where it plugs into the radio, that would be useful as well.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cramer said:
Are you talking about the Ipod connection port that gets mounted on the side of the console/dash?
As I understand it, it plugs into the radio in the back of the car, and has a 1/8" mini plug stereo input on the other end, with a mounting plate. Mounts anywhere you choose.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ruffinit said:
Is the sound through these very clear? Or are they like an FM modulator? Looks like a great idea...

The sound is very clear, although the volume is somewhat low. It is far superior to an FM modulator or cassette adaptor as it is a direct line into the head unit.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I know this thread is old news, but...

I understand the car needs to be new enough to be pre-wired for this or have the proper head unit to be more precise (built after 9/02 IIRC).

And I know there's a $30-40 BMW part to wire the glove box with an AUX port.

My question is...did BMW actually go ahead and install the AUX port in the glovebox in the factory on any of the cars?

My car is in the shop until Mon. or Tues. so I can't eyeball my own car, but was wondering if I should be ordering the cable or wait until I can see if my glovebox has the AUX port.

FYI build date 4/03.

Thx! :hihi:

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I know this thread is old news, but...

I understand the car needs to be new enough to be pre-wired for this or have the proper head unit to be more precise (built after 9/02 IIRC).

And I know there's a $30-40 BMW part to wire the glove box with an AUX port.

My question is...did BMW actually go ahead and install the AUX port in the glovebox in the factory on any of the cars?

My car is in the shop until Mon. or Tues. so I can't eyeball my own car, but was wondering if I should be ordering the cable or wait until I can see if my glovebox has the AUX port.

FYI build date 4/03.

Thx! :hihi:
No, they didn't - it was strictly pre-wiring.

Doug

·
Registered
837 Posts
As I understand it, it plugs into the radio in the back of the car, and has a 1/8" mini plug stereo input on the other end, with a mounting plate. Mounts anywhere you choose.
I though that it was only available on the 2003's

·
Registered
837 Posts
The sound is very clear, although the volume is somewhat low. It is far superior to an FM modulator or cassette adaptor as it is a direct line into the head unit.
I think that the cassette adapter has a very good sound quality. I can't tell the difference between it and the radio.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Actually cassette tape input probably has better Hz range than FM...so an iPod thru cassette should sound better than FM, but worse than CD or line-in iPod. IMHO of course

·
Registered
837 Posts
I say do that. It's pretty much bullet proof and It's going to be the cheapest set up. Assuming you only want it for your ipod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts