BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a disagreement between OEL Temp which reads around 88 degrees C - 94 Degrees C when driven hard. But the needle in only reads at the first quarter mark between 120 and 210 degrees F.

Is this a cluster issue? Has anyone come across this before?

Jay

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
1.) the OBC reading is raw data, if I remember.
2.) the cluster reading is "dampened"

How long are you seeing the 88-94C before comparing to the gauge? The gauge takes longer to make changes.

That said, it's possible your cluster was worked on and the needle accidentally placed back in the wrong spot or somehow tweaked.

·
Registered
2000 M5 (e39)
27 Posts
My needle is usually pretty spot on with the cluster reading, but if you are reading between 120-210 and your temps (88-94C) are between 120-210F it seems like a reasonable margin of error. So whats the problem? Are you worried about overheating or something?

I can't help but feel that if your life is somehow depending on knowing the absolute accuracy of your oil temps you would use basically anything other than the needle gauge. The needle is a pretty simple indicator so you can keep an eye on your temps at a glance, and it doesn't sound like your temps are going into dangerous territory without the needle keeping up. If your needle is roughly approximating your oil temps that's pretty much all you need to know.

The only situation I could imagine where you would even need to worry about oil temp is a race application and then I would suspect you would want something more accurate than even the cluster. You have to remember that the oil temp sensor is basically reading the avereage oil temp in the pan. If you need absolute accuracy I would run a separate digital gauge with an independent sensor at the location you have identified is most important to know the oil temp data for your particular application.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pork and Rice……lol

very helpful and franky condescending response…I had a question and thought this community might have something in common with my situation. It turns out im dealing with arrogant and high horsed people who think theyre cool because they own bmw’s. Its pretty annoying and frankly not fun.

jay

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
I had a question and thought this community might have something in common with my situation.
Well, you likely got an answer equal to the question. You never said what your concern was and the description of 1/4 way between this and that just makes us have to assume. You want accurate detailed responses, then ask or explain your concerns and situation in detail. Even one pic would have made your post 200% more understandable. What are you expecting? The needle to move because of the 6 C change? Or maybe you put extra marks on the cluster and you are seeing the needle at 175 instead of 190? Not going to happen all the gauges are just a version of idiot lights and are all buffered quite a bit.
Had you read some posts you might have found the average temp reported and common needle position. Most of the relevant info is in the other thread you started on this same topic. Since I suggested you check your heater valve function before I will ask again have you checked that? Best guess is the info you are seeking has been posted many times, at minimum those posts will allow you to create a more detailed question so it can be answered.

·
Registered
2000 M5 (e39)
27 Posts
Thanks Pork and Rice……lol

very helpful and franky condescending response…I had a question and thought this community might have something in common with my situation. It turns out im dealing with arrogant and high horsed people who think theyre cool because they own bmw’s. Its pretty annoying and frankly not fun.

jay
Sorry you feel that way brother, forums are and should be a place of collective knowledge sharing - not my intent to make you feel unwelcome.

You vaguely described a situation and asked two questions: 1) is this a cluster issue, and 2) has anyone come across this before.

I answered both of these questions and provided you my own anecdotal data point for comparison. I also offered a suggestion to obtain accurate data since that seems to be your goal (to my best guess, since I don't see why the discrepancy would be a problem otherwise).

I will restate the answer, hopefully with no interpreted condescension: No, I don't have this problem, and it does not appear to be a cluster issue since it falls within a reasonable margin of error. If you want accurate data, relying on either the cluster or needle is probably not your best bet. Instead, invest an independent sensor placed to read where you need said accuracy for your application.

If there is some other reason besides the pursuit of accuracy you are investigating the discrepancy between the cluster readings and your gauge faces, please tell us, but I cant understand why that it is any way important unless there are circumstances/context you failed to provide such as overheating problems (which I asked about). I can only offer my take based on what you've provided, and my take is that oil temp is irrelevant for street driving unless its very high or very low, and yours seem normal.

Just as an aside, I would point out that I do not know who you are, and I presume you don't know who I am. I have no personal investment in you other than the fact that you are a forum member with a question and so I tried to help you just as others have helped me with my questions (many of which are admittedly dumb). That is how forums work, strangers trying to provide help to one another based on no obligation other than a shared interest. If you see me - one of 3 strangers who took the time to answer your thread - writing a response trying to help you with your problem as a high-horse exercise in "being cool" or "arrogant" than I honestly think the problem is more with you than me. That being said, I appreciate your feedback and I will try and be more direct in my responses to you in the future so that there is less room for miscommunication. I hope you find this forum as helpful as I have since I joined just over a year ago.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
I answered both of these questions
You also did it well, why he took it that way I have no idea. The question was vague at best, and you answered most possible concerns even though they were not stated. Maybe because I have read many of your posts, which are factual and helpful, I took it differently. Don't change anything in your posts because of this.
Frankly I was just going to tell him to Search, but since you took the time to answer a question again, that has been asked hundreds of times here I skipped it. Personally I am getting so sick of my Ktemp does not match or my OEL does not match, read the forum the answers have been posted.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm all for clear and detailed questions but understood the question immediately. Since I unlock the cluster often I know that 84/85C should make the gauge needle point high noon. Since the OP is saying he's seeing higher temps than that but gauge is stuck at one quarter position, then yes that is strange and suggests something malfunctioning, not anything due to buffering or within reasonable error. Of course his response IMO was a little over the top.

I can't answer that question. But maybe I can ask my own. I see as much as a 12-13C difference driving in city traffic on a hot day vs. parkway traffic. Yesterday I went from 98C in city to 86C when traveling higher speed on parkway. Is that amount of difference a concern? TIA for thoughts.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
I see as much as a 12-13C difference driving in city traffic on a hot day vs. parkway traffic. Yesterday I went from 98C in city to 86C when traveling higher speed on parkway.
I assume you are talking about your Ktemp? I am going to send you for a search because this has been discussed so so much, but there can be different causes and different details to look at. Right off the bat you need to check if your AUX fan is operating, next is the heater valve or controller, mechanical fan also. Lots of stuff to check and lots to look at, all been posted with great detail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts