BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All --

I'm experiencing an odd water leak in my 93 M5 -- after a heavy rainstorm, I noticed water in the driver side footwell. I tested my sunroof drains -- all are completely fine. I poured water down the cowl and all over the windshield and could not replicate it. It appears to be comin down my clutch pedal! Definitely water though -- not coolant. Thoughts? I noticed some new very light surface rust in a very bizarre location -- under the hood by the firewall. Could it be related?

Thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Two thoughts: the access cover for the blower motor could have a deteriorated seal (although you would think that this could be replicated); a/c drains could be clogged. If you are not seeing much or any condensate hitting the ground when the a/c is running then it's likely backing up and trying to create a foot bath for your driving comfort.

·
Registered
499 Posts
On rereading your post I see it's a leak after a heavy rainstorm so nix those two thoughts.

Have you checked the roof drain attachment? They are a b**** to get at but it might be worth a look. Unlike newer BMWs, the E34 drain attachments are pretty robust, but after 25 years anything is possible. Also, your sunroof cassette could be cracked. So, even though your drain is clear water might be dribbling down the A pillar and finding a path over to your pedal. Pull the A pillar cover and check for dampness.

Remove your cowl trim strip and have a look at your windshield seal.

Instead of pouring water down the drains try fixing a hose on top and let water run over the sunroof for 30 minutes. I would think if the leak is coming from the top you should be able to replicate it with that test.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Gregg. Sunroof cassette is in great shape -- no leaks or cracks there -- and I used a hose for about five mins on the upper part of the windshield and got nothing. I think you're right about the cowl -- I should pop it out and check the condition of the bottom of the windshield seal.

HTML:
On rereading your post I see it's a leak after a heavy rainstorm so nix those two thoughts.

Have you checked the roof drain attachment? They are a b**** to get at but it might be worth a look. Unlike newer BMWs, the E34 drain attachments are pretty robust, but after 25 years anything is possible. Also, your sunroof cassette could be cracked. So, even though your drain is clear water might be dribbling down the A pillar and finding a path over to your pedal. Pull the A pillar cover and check for dampness.

Remove your cowl trim strip and have a look at your windshield seal.

Instead of pouring water down the drains try fixing a hose on top and let water run over the sunroof for 30 minutes. I would think if the leak is coming from the top you should be able to replicate it with that test.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks, Gregg. Sunroof cassette is in great shape -- no leaks or cracks there -- and I used a hose for about five mins on the upper part of the windshield and got nothing. I think you're right about the cowl -- I should pop it out and check the condition of the bottom of the windshield seal.

I think looking at the base of the cowl is a good call, lots of crevasses for water to creep into.

Was your 93 an outside car or garaged when you found it?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Outside, but covered. Rest of the car is immaculate. I'll report back after pulling off the cowl. I saw some leaves and other stuff down there I need to dig out anyhow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts