BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my H&R springs installed a few weeks ago and I recently noticed when I pull into my driveway, where their is a slight curb elevation of slightly over an inch, I hear a clunk (metal hitting metal) sound that seems to be comming from the front driverside area. I am currently running 20" Maya RM1 wheels with no spacers; tires size 255 35 20. This sound never occurs on the front passenger side even when I lead into the driveway from that angle. It always happens when I go over a bump with the steering wheel turned to the left leading into it from the driver side. I am probably not doing a great job explaining this, but is this sound normal?

When I got under the car the tie rods and everything else were bolted back correctly.

I am going to try to run it by the dealership again later this week. Thanks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, but it might be more noticeable when I have it set to sport. Have you experienced this as well?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Does it sound like the sound is coming high up or low down?

I would take it to the place that did the install and ask them to check that everything is still tight.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the sound is high up. It is more noticeable when I go over it while I am gasing the car. If i just ease over the bump it I don't hear anything.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I know that in EDC stiff with my H&R springs on the M5 (and the Hartge springs on the M6), when I would enter my drive, it would squeek.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
re- check the instalation maybe the bearing plates are not aligned, or springs.....or...........take it back to whom ever put them in....no noise is correct.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
wait!!! I have the same sound!!! I feel it in steering wheel too... driving very slow down or up and turning the wheel I hear/feel it click... I have an oppointment next week to have it checked out...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool I am not going crazy here. I trust my friend who helped me install them who is a BMW tech at BMW of Dallas. I will keep you guys posted what I find out.

**BD... exactly the sounds I am hearing in the same scenario.

Reactions: BD 997

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The first time I had my k-mac camber plates fitted, I got a noise over bumbs, but it was on the rebound, I only got it over quick bumbs, like driving over cats eyes etc.

The noise was also high up, it turned out that the big nut on the top of the strut in the engine bay needed tightening slightly.

As you don't have the k-mac plates, I'd go with what UFH says,

I know that in EDC stiff with my H&R springs on the M5 (and the Hartge springs on the M6), when I would enter my drive, it would squeek.

They should not squeak, if they are you'll probably find that they are not seated correctly, mine started to squeak on one side so I jacked it up and roated the squeaky side so it matched the other side. As the H&R spings are a fair bit shorter than stock it was possible to rotate it with my hand.

·
Registered
637 Posts
This was not disclosed to me prior to the sale. I am requesting a full refund and I'll keep the springs for the trouble! LOL:hihi:

And I vote to BAN Evan based on his lack of disclosure of squeaking sound.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
please let me know the outcome as mine is driving me crazy!!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
OMG, this is getting so annoying. I hope someone finds the culprit soon. Why does it never do it when getting examined?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just got my H&R's installed today and i noticed strange sounds on my drive back home. I turned off the radio and listened really hard only to realise It was the sound of all the hoochies screaming how hot my car looked ;)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I just got my H&R's installed today and i noticed strange sounds on my drive back home. I turned off the radio and listened really hard only to realise It was the sound of all the hoochies screaming how hot my car looked ;)
Darn... and all this time I thought it was me they were screaming at. :haha2:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I went yesterday evening to have my buddy who installed them with me at BMW of Dallas to help me pinpoint the problem and discovered a connection up top was indeed loose by the strut tower. It was slightly loose but enough to generate noise. His test for this was to grab the tire with both hands on each side and try to shake it side to side, up and down. The passenger side, we discovered, did not give at all while the driver side, where the noise was comming from, gave significantly more. He then had me shake it while he went under the car to pinpoint exactly what connection was loose. No more clunk noise when I pull into my drive way! I hope this helps!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aznronin, I had a similar experience. Those dam hoochies make a hell of alot a noise especially when I punch it and they hear my beautiful Eisenmann race exhaust note hahah! They literally start ripping their panties off and throwing them at my car! :grinyes: Dam stinky underwear!

Reactions: aznronin

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I went yesterday evening to have my buddy who installed them with me at BMW of Dallas to help me pinpoint the problem and discovered a connection up top was indeed loose by the strut tower. It was slightly loose but enough to generate noise. His test for this was to grab the tire with both hands on each side and try to shake it side to side, up and down. The passenger side, we discovered, did not give at all while the driver side, where the noise was comming from, gave significantly more. He then had me shake it while he went under the car to pinpoint exactly what connection was loose. No more clunk noise when I pull into my drive way! I hope this helps!
thanks for the 411... My guy is going to do exactly what your's did and I pray it will make it all better... will keep u posted! Thanks!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Aznronin, I had a similar experience. Those dam hoochies make a hell of alot a noise especially when I punch it and they hear my beautiful Eisenmann race exhaust note hahah! They literally start ripping their panties off and throwing them at my car! :grinyes: Dam stinky underwear!
yeah i hate those panties! they keep putting swirl marks on my car. :hihi:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts