BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just did the headlight adjuster repair on the beast and swapped out the old lenses for some brand spankin new DJ auto ones that look great. But for whatever reason, I can't seem to adjust the height of the beams higher than like, a license plate of a car 20 feet in front of me. I did a search on auto headlight adjusters on the board and theoretically, the hall effect adjuster on the control arm is upside down.

That leads me to this question - when you first turn on your car, are the headlights supposed to slightly point up then adjust down, or slightly point down, then adjust up? Mine point up then adjust down... which makes me think the sensor is upside down but what exactly am I supposed to flip?

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
This question has come up before some cars do oneway others the otherway, there has been no resolution. Reading your description sounds like the internal adjuster are toast inside the light. First there is an adjustment at start that you would not describe as slight. I can't say it is a full swing of the adjustment range but it must be near. Second the height you say you can only get too sounds close to what others describe with broken adjusters.

Simply pop the hood grab the back of the light bulb receiver and wiggle it up and down. If it is firm with very little movement then your problem is elsewhere but if it moves around your adjusters are toast or if replaced were not seated correctly, that is not uncommon issue either.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Headlight adjuster installer here in SoCal, OC?

Dear members,

I would like to get someone that is experienced to fix my adjusters on a late build 2001 (07/01). I prefer the metal adjusters installed and would like to pay a fair price or barter mechanical work or scotch or whatever is desired by the experienced person. I will be happy to assist in anyway needed, but Although I trust my diagnostics and mechanical abilities, I do not trust myself on unbaking/baking etc. my car is 100% original, thats why I want to keep my lights from factory and not go any other route...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
That leads me to this question - when you first turn on your car, are the headlights supposed to slightly point up then adjust down, or slightly point down, then adjust up? Mine point up then adjust down... which makes me think the sensor is upside down but what exactly am I supposed to flip?
Mine adjust by dipping down, then up. Both second cousins (1st gen Mini Coopers) do it the same way. My wife's Lexus also dips down first then up.

Sailor is probably right (as usual) about the adjusters. You should have plenty of range of motion up/down. One adjuster is in/out, the other up/down. The in/out will slightly adjust upwards or downwards, so make sure you are turning the correct adjusters.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: LordSaladbar

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine adjust by dipping down, then up. Both second cousins (1st gen Mini Coopers) do it the same way. My wife's Lexus also dips down first then up.
Bingo! That's what I was looking for.

Of course I'd agree with you guys about the busted adjusters but the first sentence I wrote was that I replaced them so they're brand spankin new. Now they adjust up and down/left and right just fine. The auto level sensor on my car is most likely upside down because my lights point up first then go down, so the sensor on either the control arm or the rear level sensor has been incorrect since I got my coilovers put in

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
Bingo! That's what I was looking for.

Of course I'd agree with you guys about the busted adjusters but the first sentence I wrote was that I replaced them so they're brand spankin new. Now they adjust up and down/left and right just fine. The auto level sensor on my car is most likely upside down because my lights point up first then go down, so the sensor on either the control arm or the rear level sensor has been incorrect since I got my coilovers put in
Wouldn't unplugging the electrical connector to the adjuster shed some light (no pun intended!) on what the issue is?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
True! I just need to jack the car up and do it now is all.

Also, engin555, it's really not difficult to bake the lights open. I was worried too but after doing it... honestly, it's way easier than I imagined and nothing got damaged. Just watch a few videos and have a hair dryer or heat gun available to make it easier

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think gsfent meant unplug the connectors to auto leveling motors on the back of the headlights. Then you would see how the headlights were aimed in isolation of the auto leveling system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts