BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thought I would seek your views on a pretty odd occurrence. After having spent a small fortune having the excellent Engineer's Garage (Holland) go over the car with a fine tooth comb a couple of years ago, I had the rear EDC shocks reconditioned by a reputed shop here in Belgium earlier this year. I picked the car up just before the summer and drove the 120 kms or so back to my office car park with no issues. The M5 has sat there and has not moved since. With the lifting of Covid restrictions, I went back into the office last week only to be informed by the building staff that "your car has dropped all or most of its oil". This is what it looked like. I didn't have my keys with me so could not investigate but seems like it is coming from my car as the plastic shrouding under the engine had traces of oil on it. Any ideas what could cause this? Seems very odd for a car that has not moved to suddenly dump all of its oil (unless it seeped out over a number of months but that seems unlikely). I will investigate further tomorrow but any insights highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lantz

PS with the Alpina having developed a fuel leak this morning, I am (extra) thankful to the old Volvo :)

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Tomba. Checked this morning and it is not oil but CHF fluid. It appears to have leaked out of the top of the reservoir as it was covered in CHF, and there is a small leak from one of the rear shocks. This must have something to do with the rebuilt rear shocks, and have contacted my mechanic. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Wow , Lantz , there's a blast from the past .

Good to hear from you again , shame about the circumstances .

It could be that the ride height regulator has a faulty non return valve and hydraulic fluid has leaked back to the reservoir from the rear shocks and accumulators causing the spillage .

I am interested to hear that your shop in Belgium was able to rebuild the SLS . Did you not fancy sending them off to Nagengast in Poland ?

D

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this just gets weirder:

Finally had some free time yesterday and went to have a closer look at the car. Checked all fluids and engine oil, coolant, and power steering fluid are all at the correct level. Started the car up and no visible leaks. Took the car for a quick spin around the garage and not a drop. Any ideas? Could the system have been overfilled and the excess purged somehow? I would have thought that the level of fluid would be low given the amount that came out but that does not appear to be the case. Seems like most of it came out from the top of the CHF refill reservoir...I was hoping to use the car this weekend. Yay or nay?

- Hi Davidoli, long time indeed - hope all is well on your end! This forum is not quite as active as it used to be unfortunately. I would have considered Nagengast but my mechanic (M Car Tech in Belgium) was prepping the car for its import MOT as I was (illegally) running it here on Swedish plates and needed to do a proper Belgian registration. He noticed that the rear shocks were shot and recommended a subcontractor that he uses to build / rebuild suspension systems. The shop builds E30 DTM and rally cars so I figured they know what they are doing. To be honest, this is the first issue I've had with them for many years.

Kind regards,

Lantz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts