BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my BMW used from a private dealer. They provided me with a Car Fax and a "BMW and MINI" Vehicle History Report, but I otherwise have no service history on the vehicle. Mechanics have checked out the car and remarked that it is in excellent condition.

The BMW and MINI Vehicle History Report provides defect codes and repair order numbers, but not much else. I am unable to determine when the Inspection I and Inspection II's were performed.

Can you recommend any resources for finding out what the service history is? Will BMW NA be able to assist? I am not sure how the databases are maintained, and I am not sure which dealership did the services. I have located Dealer ID's of 36299 and 04355, and the car was previously in the Beverly Hills, CA area.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hello Ronin. Congratulations on the M5, it looks like it already has quite a few mods!

My understanding is that if you give the VIN to a dealer, they should be able to pull up the entire history of service on that car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
489 Posts
It sounds like what you're looking for is DCS which is the BMW vehicle history/service report that dealers use when you get your car serviced. The DCS is kept by BMW and the report is pulled by your VIN. It sounds like you might have it as the DCS has the dates of service, a code for the dealer who performed the service, and a code for the type of service. A BMW dealership should be able to tell you what the codes mean. Id start there. Now that you are the new owner of the car, the DCS should have your name and address at the top along with the details of your car, its options etc, and then the codes should start at the bottom. If your name isnt at the top you should call BMW NA and inform them that the car has changed hands so that they can update it. If the report you have doesnt have a name and address at the top it's probably not a DCS. If you dont have the DCS you could probably get a copy of it from a BMW dealer but they will want to match up your name with the name on the DCS so make sure BMW NA knows you own the car before you waste your time with that.

Hope that helps,
Chris

Ronin M5 said:
I purchased my BMW used from a private dealer. They provided me with a Car Fax and a "BMW and MINI" Vehicle History Report, but I otherwise have no service history on the vehicle. Mechanics have checked out the car and remarked that it is in excellent condition.

The BMW and MINI Vehicle History Report provides defect codes and repair order numbers, but not much else. I am unable to determine when the Inspection I and Inspection II's were performed.

Can you recommend any resources for finding out what the service history is? Will BMW NA be able to assist? I am not sure how the databases are maintained, and I am not sure which dealership did the services. I have located Dealer ID's of 36299 and 04355, and the car was previously in the Beverly Hills, CA area.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stickman said:
Hello Ronin. Congratulations on the M5, it looks like it already has quite a few mods!

My understanding is that if you give the VIN to a dealer, they should be able to pull up the entire history of service on that car.

Good luck!
Thanks! I bought the car in stock form about 18 months ago, and have gone down the wicked path of modifications to get to where I am now. It's been a lot of fun to see the progression of modifications and reap the benefits. I never would have guessed that I would have done everything I have done so far, but once you start, it's addictive. A new clutch and flywheel may be next, although at 48,000 miles, the stock clutch is still holding up pretty well.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vossen10 said:
Hope that helps,
Chris
Thanks Chris. I will take the information that I have, which may very well be the DCS, to a BMW Dealer and see if I can get some help with the codes. My sheet is only page 1 of 2, and it has "Defect Codes" such as 3241011400, 6313051200, 85990092MP, 1390011400, 3355003700, 34000077MP, and it also had the prior owner's address info (blocked out).

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mottati said:
check this thread, i think post #23 i posted a xl file with the diagnosis codes. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57152
Additionally, any code followed by MP is "maintanance plan", i.e. oilservices or inspections.
Mike
That's perfect. Thanks Mike. Our posts must have almost crossed. I see several MP's on my sheet, so that is definitely a good thing. :byebye:

- Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts