BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

421 - 440 of 550 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a question regarding the BMWFlash software. When you code out the rear O2 sensors, what happens when you look at catalyst monitors? Does it automatically show incomplete or does it show that it passed?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
I have a question regarding the BMWFlash software. When you code out the rear O2 sensors, what happens when you look at catalyst monitors? Does it automatically show incomplete or does it show that it passed?
There's two ways you can turn them off using the software:
1) you can turn down the sensitivity. This method requires leaving the sensors installed on the car, but allows it to pass plug in OBD2
2) You can turn them off. This method allows you to remove the sensors, but will not pass plug in OBD2.

If you do method 1, you'll be good to go for a plug in OBD2 test.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do you know if BMWFlash will allow you the same options on an E39M5? I don't need this now, but if ever get a catalyst below threshold error then this may be a good option.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
Do you know if BMWFlash will allow you the same options on an E39M5? I don't need this now, but if ever get a catalyst below threshold error then this may be a good option.
Yes it does.

Though the clogged cats will still hurt your cars performance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Awesome. I agree that there is no point in doing this if one is not getting any codes, as a a matter of fact, might as well have the diagnostics running to know the condition of cats.

Separate question, does BMWFlash allow you to turn off the secondary air system on E39M5, and if yes, is the result an incomplete monitor result or a passed result from emission perspective?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
Awesome. I agree that there is no point in doing this if one is not getting any codes, as a a matter of fact, might as well have the diagnostics running to know the condition of cats.

Separate question, does BMWFlash allow you to turn off the secondary air system on E39M5, and if yes, is the result an incomplete monitor result or a passed result from emission perspective?
Pulling back a second:
BMWFlash just lets you read and write to the ecu (and correct checksums). The program that changes values for you (as we've been talking about) is the MSS5X Binary Modification Tool. So, pull the tune the BMW flash (free), modify with MSS5X BMT (super cheap, I forget how much), flash to ecu with BMWFlash (free).

That said, yes, it can do the secondary air system and still pass plug in OBD2 as well.

Martyn is adding a ton of new features to the MSS5X BMT shorty, too!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I am comfortable turning wrenches, but the software part is outside of my knowledge base. Since I have no need to make any of these adjustments in the near future, I'll wait until the next version of MSS5X BMT comes out before buying it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
Thanks for the explanation. I am comfortable turning wrenches, but the software part is outside of my knowledge base. Since I have no need to make any of these adjustments in the near future, I'll wait until the next version of MSS5X BMT comes out before buying it.
All software updates are free forever, so no benefit to waiting if you could use it now.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #430 (Edited)
I'm doing this on my M3 coupe, but don't have a build journal for it on this forum and am too excited to not post about it here, too. Plus, it's still and MSS5X!

So I got a copy of Paffy's awesome MSSMapper software.

For those that don't know, MSSMapper lets you load up to 8 tunes on to your ECU and the switch between them on the fly using your steering wheel cruise control buttons (when cruise control is off-- when its on, cruise control functions as normal). It then indicates which tune your on by the tach needle briefly going to 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, or 7 (to indicate tune 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7).

Video of the software in action:

Screen shot of the software interface:

My tune plan is:
0: 87 octane map
1: 91 octane map
2: 93 octane with 7800 rpm rev limiter map (going to use this for drifting to lower what it's bouncing off of
3: 93 octane 8200 rpm redline map (this will be the default map the car starts up in)
4: Map 3 but with small burble/pop
5: Map 3 but with medium burble/pop
6: Map 3 but with lots of burble/pop
7: Race fuel map

I'm excited!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Since this seems to be all my cars as much as it is the M5, M3 wagon update:

Interior is coming along on the wagon.

Came with the car: blackgrey carpet, center console, dash

Changes already done:
M3 steering wheel
M3 shift knob
grey sport seats to black M3 seats

Just completed:
Changed from Grey leather door cards to M sport/alcantara door cards
wrapped the wood trim in 3M "brushed titanium" vinyl

Owned and will be installed shortly:
M sport Anthracite (black) pillars and headliner
M3 center arm rest (nicer leather)
black dead pedal

Still need to find:
Black wagon back seat. I'm indifferent between vinyl and leather for that.

Door cards didn't come with speaker holes, which I didn't realize was an option (I got the door cards from Europe). So, had to dremel my own:

But it cleans up nicely with the speaker in place:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #433 (Edited)
528i update here, since i don't have a journal for it and it's also an e39....

It got nice enough outside that I've started digging into the 528i.

Did a compression/leak down test, came back good. Good news in that I won't need to pull the head off. Bad news in that I will likely never get inspired to install the M50 intake manifold if nothing forces my hand :rolleyes:

So, pulled it apart to see what was going on. And found this:

Looks like the PO had mixed coolant types. Predictably, it formed gel, clogged the rad, and began overheating.

So, ordered a new OE water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing (probably could have reused, but they're stupidly cheap on this car so why risk it) and an OEM rad, and let my automated engine block flushing system run for 30 min (after draining it as best I could first):

And then ran a couple of gallons of distilled water through it to get that water out:

And then put it mostly together. Unfortunately I received the wrong rad, so waiting on my new one to come to finish buttoning her up. But, I'm reasonably confident this will completely address the car's overheating issue.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
e39 528i question:

I'd like to put the factory 2004 3 spoke sport wheel/airbag from my e46 wagon (which was upgraded to an M3/5 wheel) into the 528i (the factory wheel is pretty worn out/tired/gross). Are there any wiring changes required for this, or it a plug and play swap?

528i is a 12/97 production date car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
e39 528i question:

I'd like to put the factory 2004 3 spoke sport wheel/airbag from my e46 wagon (which was upgraded to an M3/5 wheel) into the 528i (the factory wheel is pretty worn out/tired/gross). Are there any wiring changes required for this, or it a plug and play swap?

528i is a 12/97 production date car.
The main issue here is that the wheel in your 528 is a single stage airbag while the E46 is a dual stage. I never personally looked into how to make this work because I hate wiring but there's got to be someone who has.

When I changed the steering wheel in my 528i I just changed out the standard 4 spoke wheel to an earlier 3 spoke sport wheel that was re-wrapped.
I'd like the newer wheel but this one works fine for me and I didn't have to deal with any wiring issues.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #438
The main issue here is that the wheel in your 528 is a single stage airbag while the E46 is a dual stage. I never personally looked into how to make this work because I hate wiring but there's got to be someone who has.

When I changed the steering wheel in my 528i I just changed out the standard 4 spoke wheel to an earlier 3 spoke sport wheel that was re-wrapped.
I'd like the newer wheel but this one works fine for me and I didn't have to deal with any wiring issues.
Single stage airbags always blow at the high speed rate of the two stage airbag, no? So, it would follow to me that you'd just hook up the single stage wiring to the high speed detonator on the two stage airbag... no?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Single stage airbags always blow at the high speed rate of the two stage airbag, no? So, it would follow to me that you'd just hook up the single stage wiring to the high speed detonator on the two stage airbag... no?
From some past research I've done you can do this but it will cause the airbag light to be on.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
My M5 had a failed seat heater in the passenger seat. I was ignoring it, but then the drivers side leather tore.

So, drove down to clemster's to pick up a new passenger seat. Going to install that one in the passenger side (address the seat heater issue) and move the leather/padding from my current passenger seat (immaculate, barely used compared to the drivers) to my existing drivers seat.

... and ended up buying way more than I planned to. Got an aux fan (mines gotten a little noisy), new rear deck (mine had faded a bit), two less tired roundels for the 528i, a new gasket for one of the door hinges, a new headlight switch ring for when I do automatic headlights (the one I pulled from the junk yard was not like new) and two parts for Surge709-- a driver side mirror assembly (his has developed some slop) and center AC vent (his has a crack).

His place is an e39 M5 wonderland. I'm not one for shopping, but it got the better of me :D

421 - 440 of 550 Posts
About this Discussion
549 Replies
96 Participants
Obioban
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing