BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I just finished giving my E39 M5 the Zaino treatment, so I am acutely aware of its size and beautiful proportions. It's like a gorgeous, fit and sexy woman. I drove her to a nearby store and wound up parking next to a 2011 BMW 550, which I proceeded to inspect closely. OMG, the latest five series is OBESE compared to the E39. It is bloated in every direction---length, width, height---and weight. I skipped the E60 M5 because I hated Bangle's styling and am not into big butts, but I always figured the forthcoming generation of M5 would return to elegance and be the one I'd buy. Now I realize that isn't going to happen; the beautiful machine we've drooled over in artists' renditions will be enormous in real life. No matter how many hp the twin turbo V8 pumps out, it won't matter, because FAT is disgusting. If I want FAT, I'd drive an Escalade or an Expedition. You can put lipstick on a pig and it will still be a pig. Maybe the next generation M3 will grow to be the same size as our E39's--the V8 one is almost there-- and that'll be my replacement for the E39 M5. It certainly isn't going to be this fat ***, flubba-tubba 5 series which looks like a seven series. Rant over!
PS, if you're into fat chicks, you may disagree with my analysis, but I predict most guys here prefer leanness and beauty in both women and automobiles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey don't call my lady fat! ;)

I have to agree that everything is going up up up in terms of girth and mass as these cars are packed with more tech. I owned a 1989 R32 GTR which weighed 3200 lbs (which was heavy back then), new R35 GTR is now over 3800lbs, but there no denying it's speed (0-60 in 2.9 secs). The price of progress. :)

I can definitely see myself eventually going to the new 1 series M to replace my e60. I love simple, good cars!

Posted from my iPhone

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
spot on, OP. these sentiments can be applied to the e36 m3--->e46 m3 transition as well.
Exactly... The same can be said about the proliferation of driver aids. Each successive generation is more and more complicated. Each old school owner laments the removal of driving skill from the experience.

Abs, tc, asc, asc+t, dsc etc etc. I like the new 550i sport model but the E39, to me, IS the 5 series. I agree with the op, the new car is fat. It should be called something else, I don't consider it a 5 myself.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Yeh the new bimmers are fat..not as lean as it's predecessors

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The funny thing is how new "small" models also seem to be entering the pipeline. The new 1 series is about the size of an E36 as an example. If it came in a 4 door I would seriously consider it as my next ride...the new 1M coupe does, admittedly, have some appeal to me. One of the few cars that seems to have stuck pretty close to its original formula is the Miata...

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I was complaining about this to a friend of mine who is in the business...

He made me realize the truth: in the "new" BMW hierarchy, our 5-series has become a 3-series, and the 3-series has become the 1-series. The four-door E90 is about the same size as the E39. Meanwhile the new 5 and 7-series are for another market entirely.

This is hard for some of us to accept. I have been driving E39s since 1999 and consider myself a 5-series guy. If I buy another BMW sedan, it will likely not be a 5-series anymore. Kind of sad.

Then again, I want BMW to remain independent - so I hope their strategy works!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
In Europe, the addition of new, small models has become fairly commonplace for the reason mentioned before, each model gets bigger until what was the smallest in the range has 'moved up a level'.

Annoying, my comparison last week in another thread of the VW Golf over the years bears this out too.

The new 5 is big, been a couple parked in our carpark at work, and although new and a bit of a novelty to look at first off (only because I have interest in cars and therefore new models), there's nothing much to be amazed at. Indeed, I pointed it out to a couple of workmates, who didn't even instinctively know what it was, BMW or otherwise. Wouldn't have happened not that many years ago.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So here's my current thinking.....Supercharge!

Guys,
OP chiming in here......we're all lamenting the OBESITY problem, but BMW won't listen and will continue to pile the lard on the five series. Oh, they might throw us a bone with some carbon fiber pieces here and there on the next M5, but it'll still be FAT! My proposed solution? We keep our relatively svelte and petite E39 M5's and when the proper time comes, upgrade them with ESS superchargers developing 550 hp and gobs of torque. If it'll run 3.9 0-60 with street tires (and 3.6 with drag radials, as another poster reported), that should be sufficient to keep it in the ballgame with the next generation M5. Just think how much money we'll be saving over buying a new car, too. Aloha.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Guys,
OP chiming in here......we're all lamenting the OBESITY problem, but BMW won't listen and will continue to pile the lard on the five series. Oh, they might throw us a bone with some carbon fiber pieces here and there on the next M5, but it'll still be FAT! My proposed solution? We keep our relatively svelte and petite E39 M5's and when the proper time comes, upgrade them with ESS superchargers developing 550 hp and gobs of torque. If it'll run 3.9 0-60 with street tires (and 3.6 with drag radials, as another poster reported), that should be sufficient to keep it in the ballgame with the next generation M5. Just think how much money we'll be saving over buying a new car, too. Aloha.
Yes... ;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
My Next BMW (if that ever happens) will definitely be an E90 M3. To me that is the closest successor to the E39 M5...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts