BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am using a Launch cReader VI+ OBDII scanner. I use it on all of my other vehicles and it works fantastic. However, when I attempt to use it on my 2000 BMW M5 it won't work.

I plug it into the OBDII port under the dash, then turn the ignition to key position II. The scanner turns on and attemps to access to car but eventually it times out and tells me it can't connect and to make sure the ignition is on and that the car is OBDII.

I've checked all fuses and none of them are blown. The cover is screwed onto the 20 pin PacMan port under the hood as well.

I can't figure it out, this is driving me nuts!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
No, it would assume that your stock ECU software isn't up to date, or at least that would be my assumption.

I had this problem with my car in 2006...

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks like this was a recall then... Hmm, I am going to call my BMW dealer tomorrow and give them my VIN to check and see if my car has already had the recall or not.

I read the recall letter and it makes sense. It says that 2000-2004 models may have troubles with emissions because the OBDII port won't work with certain scan tools. That sounds exactly like the issue I am having.

However, the previous owner that I bought the car from (before I bought it) was able to use his OBDII scan tool just fine. His was a very cheap and primitive OBDII scan tool though whereas the one that I have is color screen and a much nicer scan tool.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Yeah, it's a dealer thing. It was a recall though, so it should be gratis...

Reference the campaign number in post #10 in the link I posted, they can check your VIN and see if it's been updated. I'd assume not.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I saved the PDF in that thread you showed me. Hopefully that is the issue because I can't figure out what the hell else it would be.

Glad you showed me that link, never in a million years would I have guessed!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
So I am using a Launch cReader VI+ OBDII scanner. I use it on all of my other vehicles and it works fantastic. However, when I attempt to use it on my 2000 BMW M5 it won't work.

I plug it into the OBDII port under the dash, then turn the ignition to key position II. The scanner turns on and attemps to access to car but eventually it times out and tells me it can't connect and to make sure the ignition is on and that the car is OBDII.

I've checked all fuses and none of them are blown. The cover is screwed onto the 20 pin PacMan port under the hood as well.

I can't figure it out, this is driving me nuts!
As your car is a MY 2000, you may need to connect to the round diagnostic connector under the hood by the bank 1 (the side into which the oil is poured) air filter box.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As your car is a MY 2000, you may need to connect to the round diagnostic connector under the hood by the bank 1 (the side into which the oil is poured) air filter box.
I thought this may have been the case as well. However, before purchasing the car the previous owner was able to connect to the OBDII port under the dash with his scanner (his was some simple cheap scanner whereas mine is a much nicer one).

I find it odd that his scanner worked, but mine doesn't. I have an appointment with the dealership on Friday to checkout my car and see if they can do the software updated. After looking at the TSB from BMW my car falls within the VIN ranges for cars that were affected by this software issue.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
BTW, when you had this issue with your car would ANY OBDII scanner work at all or did none of them work whatsoever?

My Peake reader would work (under hood 20-pin version) but the smog shop couldn't read using the dash port until the ECU was flashed.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like my issue. Under the hood is working with the Peake tool and we even got a cheap scanner to work under the dash. However, I've tried 3 nicer scanners under the dash and they can't connect at all.

Sounds like I am having the same issue you had. We will see what the dealer says on Friday!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2002 M5, DFW area dealer reflashed DME for free, even included a loaner car gratis. That was about 6 years ago. I have the same issue with m 2000 project M5 now. Peake works just fine, but wasn't able to do state inspection due to failure to communicate. I haven't had time to try and get this car re flashed yet.

The way I did it last time was I just took the car into the dealer for the state inspection. It's a flat rate fee here in TX. They did all the rest.

Reactions: mgdmb

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dealer said they would likely charge me $130 to fix it. Does that sound fair or should something like this be free?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
My dealer said they would likely charge me $130 to fix it. Does that sound fair or should something like this be free?
It should be free.

I would take the time to make sure that the cap under the hood is not damaged, as mentioned earlier, if it isn't installed the under dash port will not work.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The underhood cap is not damaged at all.

I've got the same PDF that AGM5 attached so I am going to bring that with me to the dealer so they know what I am talking about. When I told them over the phone they seemed dumbfounded. That makes sense though since it is a 15 year old car basically.

I will try and convince them to do it for free. We shall see!

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wanted to update you guys on this just incase anyone finds this thread in the future and has the same issue I had.

I took the car to the dealer Friday and they had it for a few hours. I brought the TSB with me just so they could reference it if they needed to. The reprogrammed the DME with the updated software and took care of everything for me for free (no questions asked)!

Now the car works great. I can plugin my OBDII scanner, check codes, clear codes, etc. I'm all good to go!

So, in the end this WAS the issue, and I encourage anyone with an E39 M5 to make sure this TSB has been applied to your vehicle. If you're having trouble passing emissions because the scanners won't read your car, I would be almost 99% certain this is the issue!

Either way, I'm all fixed now. Thanks to you guys who brought this issue to my attention. I feel like this topic should almost be a sticky in this forum because when I was initially trying to diagnose it myself I wasn't even turned onto the fact that it had to do with a TSB! If you guys hadn't told me that I'd probably still be pulling my hair out trying to diagnose it.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Wanted to update you guys on this just incase anyone finds this thread in the future and has the same issue I had.

I took the car to the dealer Friday and they had it for a few hours. I brought the TSB with me just so they could reference it if they needed to. The reprogrammed the DME with the updated software and took care of everything for me for free (no questions asked)!

Now the car works great. I can plugin my OBDII scanner, check codes, clear codes, etc. I'm all good to go!

So, in the end this WAS the issue, and I encourage anyone with an E39 M5 to make sure this TSB has been applied to your vehicle. If you're having trouble passing emissions because the scanners won't read your car, I would be almost 99% certain this is the issue!

Either way, I'm all fixed now. Thanks to you guys who brought this issue to my attention. I feel like this topic should almost be a sticky in this forum because when I was initially trying to diagnose it myself I wasn't even turned onto the fact that it had to do with a TSB! If you guys hadn't told me that I'd probably still be pulling my hair out trying to diagnose it.
Glad that you got it sorted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts