BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help in this matter - much appreciated.

I've tried now for 2 weeks to get my car inspected in NYC. Just today BMW Manhattan after two days of trying notified me that no OBD II reading could be established with the new DMV testing machine. Has anyone experience this problem?? Car originated in Canada, but can this be the reason for the failure?? They have no idea - "its a grey area with this new machine"

Last year NYC deemed this car fit for inspection based on the old system. Today my 2000 M5 is apparently unfit for some of the worst roads in the country. Anyone driven anywhere close to Ground Zero/Financial District/Seaport will understand.

its very frustrating to me and I recognize that this is a question addressed at only a select geographical region but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

JM.

·
10,458 Posts
i would think that this would fall under the 8 year/80k mile emissions warranty, bmw should have to take car of this.

This has been posted as a problem here on this board before, you might try to search, i don't remember the outcomes.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
JAM M5 said:
Car originated in Canada, but can this be the reason for the failure?? They have no idea - "its a grey area with this new machine"
I can tell you that imported Canadian-spec OBDII BMW cars test & pass the latest emissions testing via connector in other USA states via the OBDII connector just fine. That said, in Pennsylvania the OBDII emissions test computer screen WILL show a C suffix after the model year to indicate Canadian spec car. I am not sure if this info comes from the car's title/registration or the OBDII data...I'm guessing it comes from the state registration database (origination registered), not the car. If the New York Emissions machines do not accept Canadian cars for some really stupid reason, you could have an issue. The test machine & state datafile will know it's a Canadian car. I have heard no reports indicating they are failing Canadian cars. The emissions requirements and calibrations are the same.

I would suspect the wiring to the connector or some physical problem with the plug. If the car is running OK with no dash alarms, the wiring busswork and computers are healthy. I think a consumer quality $75 ODBII tool would provide some insight into whether the connector is abnormal or otherwise dead.

I should echo that a dealer can probably accurately diagnose the problem and recommend a course of action for a couple hours labor (or less). They have the best electrical diagnostic tools that spit out answers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
There was a huge problem in CT, where the software they were using to interface didn't have all the "dealer codes" so they would default a communications error. If BMW of NYC can't read your obdII that is a different issue but basically CT had to completely redo thier emissions testing and suspended it for almost 2 years IIRC.

Call a tuner and have them pass your car

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DrewT said:
There was a huge problem in CT, where the software they were using to interface didn't have all the "dealer codes" so they would default a communications error. If BMW of NYC can't read your obdII that is a different issue but basically CT had to completely redo thier emissions testing and suspended it for almost 2 years IIRC.

Call a tuner and have them pass your car
Thanks DrewT. BMW Manhattan were having problems with the machine but were passing cars - mine unfortunately had them puzzelled and they have no suggestions! This is amazing to me!

Call a tuner??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lscman said:
I can tell you that imported Canadian-spec OBDII BMW cars test & pass the latest emissions testing via connector in other USA states via the OBDII connector just fine. That said, in Pennsylvania the OBDII emissions test computer screen WILL show a C suffix after the model year to indicate Canadian spec car. I am not sure if this info comes from the car's title/registration or the OBDII data...I'm guessing it comes from the state registration database (origination registered), not the car. If the New York Emissions machines do not accept Canadian cars for some really stupid reason, you could have an issue. The test machine & state datafile will know it's a Canadian car. I have heard no reports indicating they are failing Canadian cars. The emissions requirements and calibrations are the same.

I would suspect the wiring to the connector or some physical problem with the plug. If the car is running OK with no dash alarms, the wiring busswork and computers are healthy. I think a consumer quality $75 ODBII tool would provide some insight into whether the connector is abnormal or otherwise dead.

I should echo that a dealer can probably accurately diagnose the problem and recommend a course of action for a couple hours labor (or less). They have the best electrical diagnostic tools that spit out answers.
Lscman - appreciate your insight. BMW Manhattan performed numerous diagnosis and came away blank. Read out says connectors are fine, car is healty on all accounts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mottati said:
i would think that this would fall under the 8 year/80k mile emissions warranty, bmw should have to take car of this.

This has been posted as a problem here on this board before, you might try to search, i don't remember the outcomes.
will search further threads - thanks.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
JAM M5 said:
Lscman - appreciate your insight. BMW Manhattan performed numerous diagnosis and came away blank. Read out says connectors are fine, car is healty on all accounts.
Sounds like the state emissions test software may be the culprit. Have you tried another station or even another state to confirm OBDII function on a different emissions machine? PA uses OBDII for pass/fail too & practically every gas station in populous areas (like Philly) will have this equipment for state EPA inspection. The M5 is so uncommon that there may be a bug in the NY emissions test configuration that causes it to malfunction on totally legal, federalized Canadian-spec M5's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Didn't realize BMW could emissions test your car, thats why I suggested a tuner like RPM or even an independant like the red garage. The CT problem was with the diagnostic software, and it did read an obd2 connection error. Call BMW of Greenwich too, there service center is in NY state believe it or not and they might do the emissions thing too, they are a Dinan dealer and have many many many modded m5's, so I would think they have come across this issue before.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
DrewT said:
Didn't realize BMW could emissions test your car, thats why I suggested a tuner like RPM or even an independant like the red garage. The CT problem was with the diagnostic software, and it did read an obd2 connection error. Call BMW of Greenwich too, there service center is in NY state believe it or not and they might do the emissions thing too, they are a Dinan dealer and have many many many modded m5's, so I would think they have come across this issue before.
I fully agree with Drew's recommendation. I would think tuners can figure it out as there must be a significant percentage of Canadian M5's in the state of NY. For several years, the exchange rate made them extremely lucrative to import. Northern states have lots of Canadian BMW E39 cars because legal & proper conversion & certification to USA specs costs under $1K. They poured across the border from 2000 thru 2003.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts